Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving through New York on my way to CT. It was midnight and I was moving pretty good. About 80-95 MPH. My mom was asleep in the back of the car. I came over a small hill and my radar detector went off. I slowed down but knew it was too late.

I got pulled over.

The cop came up and asked me for my liscence and registration. I complied and am required by law to inform LEOs that I am in the military, so I did.
He said he clocked me at 88 in a 65. I said, yeah figured it was around that. The cop took my info and returned to his squadcar. I sat there cussing myself out.

The cop returned and the first words out of his mouth were, "Well Im not giving you a speeding ticket." I was so happy. A speeding ticket like that woulda run me between 400-500 dollars and I woulda had a mando court date. He gave me a no seatbelt ticket (I was wearing my seat belt.) instead which cost me 135 dollars. He told me that he was a marine for 8 years and he always tries to look out for the military guys. Then he stood there and we talked about my Daytona for about 5 minutes and he left.

A perfect case of officers descretion if you ask me. Not all cops are bad. One of the most important things is during an incident like that is to admit to urself that you were doing something wrong. And be polite to to the cop, he's just doing his job. In my line of work, being impolite to me can litterally get you shot.

·
Registered
391 Posts
. . . I complied and am required by law to inform LEOs that I am in the military, so I did.
When did this law come into effect? As far as I know, I wasn't required to inform them that I was active duty when I was in the service.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its been that way for at least 6 years, and i believe about 20 years.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup i use it all the time! Can't tell how many times being in the military has got me out of tickets. USAF all the way!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, I didn't know that either. (telling the cop you're in the military)
I must have missed that part while in the Marines.

Anyway, congrats on your good luck with that cop.
It's nice to hear a GOOD cop story for once.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, Guns, I think they lied to you in boot camp. Really. Now, is it a good idea? Sure is. Some officers extend a variation of "professional courtesy" to military folks. Although, being a squid did get me a ticket once:) Back in 87, going cross country from CA to IN, going to visit the new wifes family in my 85 Shelby Charger.

Somewhere in a flat state, nice officer nabbed me from an overpass, going maybe 80ish. Walking up, sees my base sticker. "Navy or Marines, boy?". When I said Navy, he said, "Sorry bout that, I'll have to give you a ticket". Pretty funny:)

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I complied and am required by law to inform LEOs that I am in the military, so I did.

"Well Im not giving you a speeding ticket."

He told me that he was a marine for 8 years and he always tries to look out for the military guys.

A perfect case of officers descretion if you ask me. Not all cops are bad. One of the most important things is during an incident like that is to admit to urself that you were doing something wrong. And be polite to to the cop, he's just doing his job.
I'm sure if that was me or any other non-military person, we would have received the speeding ticket. Just MHO. :yes:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, Guns, I think they lied to you in boot camp. Really. Now, is it a good idea? Sure is. Some officers extend a variation of "professional courtesy" to military folks. Although, being a squid did get me a ticket once:) Back in 87, going cross country from CA to IN, going to visit the new wifes family in my 85 Shelby Charger.

Somewhere in a flat state, nice officer nabbed me from an overpass, going maybe 80ish. Walking up, sees my base sticker. "Navy or Marines, boy?". When I said Navy, he said, "Sorry bout that, I'll have to give you a ticket". Pretty funny:)
that is funny, Im going to look into it and see what the law is.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was pulled over in Vermont a few years ago and without telling the trooper directly, made sure he was able to see my military ID while I took out my driver's license. After running my tags he said he'd let me off on two conditions: 1) slow down, 2) Go Army! I wasn't going to press my luck by informing him that I'm Air Force and that it's the far better branch.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure if that was me or any other non-military person, we would have received the speeding ticket. Just MHO. :yes:
I dunno, this cop seemed pretty cool. I think if you were polite you woulda been ok

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I dunno, this cop seemed pretty cool. I think if you were polite you woulda been ok
Maybe, but I'm sure the fact that you're military helped! ;)

I've come across some pretty cool cops over the years, and some pretty drone-like cops too!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I was pulled over in Vermont a few years ago and without telling the trooper directly, made sure he was able to see my military ID while I took out my driver's license. After running my tags he said he'd let me off on two conditions: 1) slow down, 2) Go Army! I wasn't going to press my luck by informing him that I'm Air Force and that it's the far better branch.
Maybe he was saying Go Army implying it was better than airforce? haha just a thought. But that cop seems like a good guy, glad there are cops that aren't head hunters :clap:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The only problem I have with this situation is that you were written a seat belt ticket when you were wearing your seat belt.

I think the "It's better than a speeding ticket!" thinking is flawed. I certainly don't blame you as the receiver of the ticket for accepting the lesser fine.:beerchug: BONUS! I fault the officer for in effect telling a lie and falsifying a legal document.

I have co-workers that do this regularly and I butt heads with them about it all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I give more "breaks" than most on the road but I do it without compromising my integrity. Officer discretion is an essential tool and I would hate to see it limited due to situations like this.

Sadly some officers are pressured to write tickets and even disciplined for stopping a car and not collecting a fine. Thankfully I am not in that position and am allowed to exercise my authority as the situation warrants, not as a revenue generation scheme. :slap:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
So I was driving through New York on my way to CT. It was midnight and I was moving pretty good. About 80-95 MPH. My mom was asleep in the back of the car. I came over a small hill and my radar detector went off. I slowed down but knew it was too late.

I got pulled over.

The cop came up and asked me for my liscence and registration. I complied and am required by law to inform LEOs that I am in the military, so I did.
He said he clocked me at 88 in a 65. I said, yeah figured it was around that. The cop took my info and returned to his squadcar. I sat there cussing myself out.

The cop returned and the first words out of his mouth were, "Well Im not giving you a speeding ticket." I was so happy. A speeding ticket like that woulda run me between 400-500 dollars and I woulda had a mando court date. He gave me a no seatbelt ticket (I was wearing my seat belt.) instead which cost me 135 dollars. He told me that he was a marine for 8 years and he always tries to look out for the military guys. Then he stood there and we talked about my Daytona for about 5 minutes and he left.

A perfect case of officers descretion if you ask me. Not all cops are bad. One of the most important things is during an incident like that is to admit to urself that you were doing something wrong. And be polite to to the cop, he's just doing his job. In my line of work, being impolite to me can litterally get you shot.
Hey Mr. Guns did you have any GUNS in the car lol????

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mr. Guns did you have any GUNS in the car lol????
what kind of question is that?!?!?! It would have been illegal for me to have a loaded concealed weapon in the vehicle, so you can draw whatever conclusions you want. But I am GUNS........

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I take that as a yes lol cause I carry a loaded Ruger P345 in my armrest @ all times. I wish a jacker would even think about trying lol...
But I, and there are witnesses, never said that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts