Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Is this the one where Steve Dinan changes the dyno numbers hugely just by putting a fan in front of the car?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah have you seen it before, sorry if this is a repost glhs

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Not a repost here, a great read, recommended to all. Even if you never dyno a car in your life, its a great insight into the complexity of todays systems, and how any change can have unintended consequences.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i love the article b/c it proves that the dyno isn't the say all. these guys looking to see results from mods and aren't seeing what they could/should see when they dyno probably aren't getting the reading they should get. it goes back to my belief - how can you get a dyno reading on a cold air intake when there is no or little air actually being thrown at the car.

good read, hopefully it springs a good conversation. (whispers to all - if you feel like you are getting some performance out of the cai, you probably are!"

scott

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Now see, I dont trust the butt dyno anymore than that either. The track, even with it's inconsistencies, is really the only way to prove out improvements.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree and if you have one hell of consistent driver - it really makes it easier to see the gains made.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Whats to be inconsistant about? Smash the gas and keep it on the floor until you're through the lights! :) Remember, your reaction time does not effect the ET on a slip from the track, its merely the time that passes between when you should have left the line and when you roll through the staging lights to start the ET timer.
The perfect world would allow us to run dragstrip passes before and after mods in the exact same conditions, eliminating every variable except the mod. Unfortunately, I don't think that I've ever seen an indoor, climate and pressure controlled dragstrip....maybe I should find some venture capitalist to back up my new endeavour.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really need to get to a drag strip when it starts cooling off. the more people talk about it the more i want to try. my wife says hell no...you wreck the charger - you aren't getting another one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You won't wreck it, you're going in a straight line! Now if she were trying to keep you off a road course, I'd buy that argument.
Find a local dragstrip and try it out. As far as beating on the car goes, Its not really a whole lot different for me than getting on the expressway in the morning. The entrance ramp is directly across the main road from my street, so I do full 1/8 mile passes every morning. The extra 20mph from 80-100 that you'll see on the dragstrip doesn't hurt anything besides you wallet.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and its legal....yippie!!!! i will wait another month and then talk a friend to go with me. it is still in the 100s and 90s here. i woud like it to be around 70 or 80s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts