Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great day yesterday at Atco NJ. We rented the track out and, other then a few motorcyles, we had it to ourselves. If you never drag raced before this was the perfect chance to practice launches and take your time getting set to run. No line! By the way, the bike rider was Ricky Gadsen (sp) a national champion. He had a ZX-14 (modified) up to 152 mph in the 1/4 while he was teaching a drag racing class. Sub 9 second.

My Best was 13.682 at 101.04 which is pretty much what I ran in 48 degree temps last year. Yesterday was about 73. Got the '60 to 1.975.

I think I have gotten about the best time I'm able to get from this car with my current set-up. Maybe if I ran again in cold weather I could knock a tenth off but I have to consider making the engine upgrades now :)

Best part of the day? My dad was in town and he met us at the track. He's over 70 and lost his wife last year. He's not looking too good. He's kind of shuffling around and looks old.
I offered to let him take the car out and he declined. Then, after watching for a few hours he quietly said, "I think I'll take you up on your offer". He had little trouble staging and then he ran a 14.7. He circled around and asked to go again. He got right up there and knocked out a 13.99. Not bad for a second try. Gave him some bragging rights with the other guys and he said he felt like he did when he had sex for the first time!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Now that is a GREAT POST........

I am glad to see your Dad having fun and you being kind enough to let him.

It just makes me smile.

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Way to go! I have offered my car to my dad but so far he hasn't taken me up on it. I think he wants to go to the track instead of just driving it on the street.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's a great story! It might not seem like a big deal to us, but to your dad that was probably the world to him! You're a good man.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
13.6 is a great time for those mods. That 1.9 60' is pretty impressive too. Sounds like you had a good time.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that is a GREAT POST........

I am glad to see your Dad having fun and you being kind enough to let him.

It just makes me smile.

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck:
I owe you a huge apology. I had meant to put in that first post that I followed pretty much every tip you gave in order to get my times consistently at the 13.6.
It really was a great day both becuase of my dad and the free reign we had on the track. They let us do whatever we wanted. Great day to practice.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13.6 is a great time for those mods. That 1.9 60' is pretty impressive too. Sounds like you had a good time.
Thanks metgo.
It all came together pretty well that day. Had the spare out for the first time, about 1/4 tank of gas and I heated up the tires pretty well before launching. Still got a little spin on the stock radials. I think drags would be very interesting but I'm afriad what will break in front of them!

My dad later told me that while he was in the stands he met a young guy who was watching the races. When my dad told him that he got the offer to drive my car but he didn't want to try the kid said to him, "My dad is on the golf course today. I would love to have him here with me instead. Your son WANTS you to drive his car - so do it".
That put him over the edge.

I wish he lived up here. I would take him every time and let him run a few. He's always been on the fringe of having an interest in cars but would never take the plunge for a high horsepower car or a classic car which he really wants. He grew up on Dodges, Chryslers and Plymouths.

He does have a 1997 Firebird with about 60,000 on it (6 cyl!) but you could eat off the thing!
He's looking at the Challenger v. the Camaro for his next and possibly last new car. Probably be a 6 cyl as the speed limit by him is 30! He keeps them for more then ten years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.