Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is the issue, or question...

I wash my car and I notice that the front rims are covered in grease. I wash them and then about three days later, I check them out again. Covered in grease again. I know that this must be coming from the brakes just on the other side of the rim, I'm not incredibly automotive knowing, but is there anything that can be done about this other than cleaning them every few days?

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Are you using any kind of tire shine?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you sure it is grease, or brake dust? Mine get dirty very quickly after I clean them. To keep them clean all the time, I suppose I'd have to clean them three times a week.

I use Simple Green on them and it works well.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I washed my car 4x this week due to all tge construction.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I haven't tried this product yet, but I have heard very good things about it. Eagle one has a new product called "Keep Clean Wheel" that is supposed to act as sort of a teflon like coating that will repel brake dust and make cleaning wheels easier. Its not a cleaner, but a separate product used after cleaning. We sell it at the zone and customers keep coming back for it. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I bet your "grease" is just brake dust.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Rims getting dirty (brake dust, grease) after every day. What gives? It seems they can never stay clean. I look at other random cars on the road, and their rims are always decently clean. Mine look like crap. I cleaned them then used that "Keep Wheel Clean" stuff, but just seems to make it worse. Is it the same as wax?

For example, once a car is waxed it's easier for it to look dirty after rain because of the water that sits beaded on the car and then dries with dust/chemicals. Is this the same with the tires now that they've been sprayed with a wax-like material?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You just have to resign yourself to dealing with this, it isn't going to go away. One thing I've gotten away from is using liquid tire shine, I always use a gel-type so it doesn't sling all over everything. Probably not your issue but something to keep in mind regardless.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You just have to resign yourself to dealing with this, it isn't going to go away. One thing I've gotten away from is using liquid tire shine, I always use a gel-type so it doesn't sling all over everything. Probably not your issue but something to keep in mind regardless.
No, actually, I think that is it! Stupid tire shine. I'll use the gel from now on. +1 cred. I'll see if this works. :bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts