Charger Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is it that my computer, my cellphone, and even some $20-30 clocks can keep the correct GPS atomic time (including self-adjusting for daylights savings time) but a $40,000 car cant?

My navigation unit (that's set to display GPS time, in the correct timezone) has always shown the correct time until the other day when it was supposed to adjust for the time change and it didn't adjust. I had to manually go into the System Settings and turn daylight savings time OFF for it to show the proper time. Shouldn't a $10,000 navigation system know how to keep the correct time?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, damned if I know why.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I've got a better qyestion.

Why do we still observe DST?

·
Registered
377 Posts
how is it that my computer, my cellphone, and even some $20-30 clocks can keep the correct GPS atomic time (including self-adjusting for daylights savings time) but a $40,000 car cant?

My navigation unit (that's set to display GPS time, in the correct timezone) has always shown the correct time until the other day when it was supposed to adjust for the time change and it didn't adjust. I had to manually go into the System Settings and turn daylight savings time OFF for it to show the proper time. Shouldn't a $10,000 navigation system know how to keep the correct time?
It is working correctly. You just have to go into the clock settings and turn off DST. Who knows why the GPS is programmed that way. Maybe the system was never set up that way. :grin:

·
Registered
122 Posts
QUOTE]

If your computer is running any version of Windows, the DST rules are set in the registry and are updated with new dates whenever our government decides to make a change. If you would like more information on it you can take a look at:

914387 How to configure daylight saving time for Microsoft Windows operating systems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914387

Your cellphone doesn't know about DST; the time is simply updated each time it registers with the cell tower/s. You $20 clock has a tiny chip that listens for a broadcast signal from the atomic clock system. So for the GPS to know the arbitrarily-set difference between Daylight Saving Time and the GMT transmitted from the satellites you need a software update for the GPS. Or just turn off the GPS feature.

The only problem I have with the GPS is that it recorded a maximum speed of 153 MPH. Must be wrong because the rev limiter would have cut in at 145?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.