Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read that my 2012 Charger SE 3.6 8 speed was governor limited to 114? Today at the track I smoked a G6 and my ecometer from autometer recalled I hit 117 and I still had throttle left and was still pulling when I lifted (I dropped the 8 speed into low for the run) for a V6 that car is a beast!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Your speed limitation depends on the tires it came with from the factory.

It could be up to 121 mph depending on the tires.

What tires did you car come with?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have the Michelin 18 inch
No, I mean what are the tire ratings?

They appear on the sidewall of the tire. It will say something like the 92V after the size info. That letter gives you the speed rating.

Reactions: Yuro

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Tire Rack doesnt show an 18 tire as stock, but it does show a Michelin 17". That tire has a 118mph limit, so 177 is possible easily.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I thought I read that my 2012 Charger SE 3.6 8 speed was governor limited to 114? Today at the track I smoked a G6 and my ecometer from autometer recalled I hit 117 and I still had throttle left and was still pulling when I lifted (I dropped the 8 speed into low for the run) for a V6 that car is a beast!
Many underestimate the pentastar engine, until they drive a Charger with one.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I had it in my '12, and was very happy with it. I was expecting the same basic power of the 3.5L, but was shocked at the output of a V6 paired with the 8 spd. Dodge did a great job with this one. Even as a Dodge owner I think I underestimated it a bit, until I had one. I expected it to be better than my '10, but not as much as it was. I think you're probably right, and people who have no exposure to them likely are underestimating them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 3.6L Pentastar surprised me a lot, too. My Rallye limits at 121 mph, and I know that it can definitely go more than that. Heck, at 80 MPH on the interstate it's only cranking 1700 RPM...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I showed the car to a few friends the past couple days. They all said that if I hadn't told them that it had a V6, they would have figured it was a Hemi.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I want to know what track you were on that you could reach 117mph? Or is that code for you were street racing on the highway?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Riiiiiiiiiiight lol

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Lots of wide open "tracks" in NM to give your car a run >:)

It doesn't take very long or very far to get up to max speed in a V6, they hit the limiter pretty quick. Cop down the street swears his V6 Pursuit will do 135 mph, but I doubt it.

Now in a Charger that will do 150+, you'll definitely need a bit more room to max it out.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
IDK, I'd buy 135 mph out of the V6. Granted my patrol car is a V8, but I had it at 135 on the back stretch at MidOhio and had plenty of throttle left (just had to back out of it to turn). With enough road, I can see the V6 reaching 135.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
"with enough road" ..... That is where you get into trouble!

I have heard that a quick blast to the 118 or 121 limit doesn't take long at all, though I've never gone more than 14 mph above the speed limit.:wink3:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ha ha. Yeah, "enough road" is certainly an issue. I don't like driving high speed for very long stretches. I'd rather punch it for that quick blast to the required speed, reel the target in, and get off it. That's dangerous enough. I certainly wouldn't want to have to run a long way for those extra few mph.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
So true. Once there are any other cars on the road, it's time to back off and be safe.

I much prefer to have my fun using what we called "passing gear" back in the day, zooming from 30 mph to 80 mph as fast as possible. Besides, going super fast isn't really all that much fun when you find out you can't stop as quickly as you'd like or need to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts