Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T and it only tops out at 130 on the track, my v6 topped out higher :mad: will a Diablo tune fix that? Or even a pedal commander?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Diablo will change it. Not sure if you need an open pcm though on a 2016.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Believe 2015-up will need an unlocked PCM.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
2,586 Posts
2015+ need an unlocked PCM. The reason your speed limiter is set at 130 (I doubt whatever V6 you had went faster than that unless it was modified) is because of the tires installed at the factory. Put better, higher speed rated tires on, then get an unlocked PCM (if you're willing to pony up for that). What scares me is that you most likely tried to do this without the correct speed rated tires. That will make for a bad day for you and everyone around you.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
How did you go faster than that in a 6-cyl? 2014 and prior were limited to 114mph. The 2015+ is 124mph.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Unlimited they will break 140 mph, at least that is what was posted in the Michigan State Police road tests where their 3.6L hit 141 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
1) unlock PCM
2) update tune with desired top speed
3) kiss your ass goodby if you don’t also update the car’s tires to some that have a speed rating that covers your modified tune setting.

The tire’s speed rating is no joke. Know it and don’t exceed it. You will regret it if you do…assuming you live through the accident.

Also, if you plan on broaching the 150 zone, you should be aware that running the rubber valve stems in the rims won’t take it. You’ll need to step up to the metal ones or risk a catastrophic failure of the valve stem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) unlock PCM
2) update tune with desired top speed
3) kiss your ass goodby if you don’t also update the car’s tires to some that have a speed rating that covers your modified tune setting.

The tire’s speed rating is no joke. Know it and don’t exceed it. You will regret it if you do…assuming you live through the accident.

Also, if you plan on broaching the 150 zone, you should be aware that running the rubber valve stems in the rims won’t take it. You’ll need to step up to the metal ones or risk a catastrophic failure of the valve stem.
Thank you so much for the help! Got a few more questions if you don’t mind answering, how do you unlock your PCM? And hoe much would everything cost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2015+ need an unlocked PCM. The reason your speed limiter is set at 130 (I doubt whatever V6 you had went faster than that unless it was modified) is because of the tires installed at the factory. Put better, higher speed rated tires on, then get an unlocked PCM (if you're willing to pony up for that). What scares me is that you most likely tried to do this without the correct speed rated tires. That will make for a bad day for you and everyone around you.
I haven’t unlocked my PCM or no tunes on my RT, completely stock, trying to make sure I get everything right so I don’t have any bad days ☺ Thank you so much for the help, how much would it all be excluding the tires. Like a Diablo tune work best ?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My 2014 v6 challenger topped out at 140 mph when my 5.7 charger only goes 130 mph.
Then it must've had a tune because from factory its 114mph.

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
2,586 Posts
I haven’t unlocked my PCM or no tunes on my RT, completely stock, trying to make sure I get everything right so I don’t have any bad days Thank you so much for the help, how much would it all be excluding the tires. Like a Diablo tune work best ?
Couldn't tell ya, all my stuff is old enough to not have to worry about it lol. You'll have to do some actual research.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I haven’t unlocked my PCM or no tunes on my RT, completely stock, trying to make sure I get everything right so I don’t have any bad days ☺ Thank you so much for the help, how much would it all be excluding the tires. Like a Diablo tune work best ?
If the car’s year model is 2014 or older, the PCM is already unlocked. 2015 and up cars have locked PCMs, and buying an unlocked one or having yours unlocked will run about $500 IIRC.

You can get a new base model tuner from DiabloSport for $400-$450 I believe, but if you keep an eye on the classified section for someone selling their used tuner, as buying a used one should mean paying a couple hundred dollars less than a brand new one.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Unlimited they will break 140 mph, at least that is what was posted in the Michigan State Police road tests where their 3.6L hit 141 mph.

The Policeman two doors down said his 2014 V6 would do right around 145 on a long stretch of road, the 2016 V8 he drove for a while would do 157. Poor guy now has to drive a Ferd SUV that can barely break 105.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The Policeman two doors down said his 2014 V6 would do right around 145 on a long stretch of road, the 2016 V8 he drove for a while would do 157. Poor guy now has to drive a Ferd SUV that can barely break 105.
That's moving! I think I read that all the new Pursuits will come standard limited to 130 mph but the PD can order them with other limits as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Poor guy now has to drive a Ferd SUV that can barely break 105.
Thats actually a safety feature designed into the vehicle. I mean, who among us wants to put our lives at risk by trying to drive a Ford past the century mark?!?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
341 Posts
the Cooper Zeon RS3 G1s I use during spring/summer have a W rating, and the highest I've gone was about 252 kph before I started to decelerate. Car definitely had more to give though.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
H ratings and above are plenty as they have an extra belt to limit growth at speed and are more than enough for a short blast. All the speed ratings are for sustained speeds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts