Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up the SRT yesterday morning and heard it running on 7 cylinders. WTF?!? Oh well! I need to get to work and its all highway driving so... As I get it in gear and hit the gas, the check engine light comes on (duh). I fugure I'll take it to the dealer on my lunch break. I didn't get that far. After driving about 15 miles, the car completely dies. :( I pull over and call for roadside assistance. Luckily, they were there in less than 20 minutes. I get towed into the dealership and they jump on it right away. I hitch a ride to work (now two hours late) and check up on it at lunch time. She's running like a champ. The verdict:

A grommet came loose near the area where the wiring harness grounds to the car body. The harness rubbed through and grounded out the coil for cylinder # 6, causing the misfire. The short finally burned out the coil and blew the fuse for all the coils, leaving me watching everyone drive past me.

I guess the only good thing is I had my car back to drive home.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I started up the SRT yesterday morning and heard it running on 7 cylinders. WTF?!? Oh well! I need to get to work and its all highway driving so... As I get it in gear and hit the gas, the check engine light comes on (duh). I fugure I'll take it to the dealer on my lunch break. I didn't get that far. After driving about 15 miles, the car completely dies. :( I pull over and call for roadside assistance. Luckily, they were there in less than 20 minutes. I get towed into the dealership and they jump on it right away. I hitch a ride to work (now two hours late) and check up on it at lunch time. She's running like a champ. The verdict:

A grommet came loose near the area where the wiring harness grounds to the car body. The harness rubbed through and grounded out the coil for cylinder # 6, causing the misfire. The short finally burned out the coil and blew the fuse for all the coils, leaving me watching everyone drive past me.

I guess the only good thing is I had my car back to drive home.
Thanks for the alert. Do you have any pics, or maybe a little more specifics on exactly where the problem was? If if happened to you, it will likely happen to someone else. There seems to be a few things that seem to eventually work their way around to most everybody.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Any word on what might have caused it? Just a factory mistake or a product of hard driving?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts