Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start of saying I got my retirement gift a 06 Charger SRT black w/48k miles. I went and picked up my car and the dealer told me it had a Corsa exhaust on the car. Of course I knew that, but I figured it was cat back. So I get there and the owner isn't there and the salesman says did the owner tell you the check engine light is on. I said NO, he said it's the rear o2 sensors, I say OK I'll take care of it. I buy the car after a long test drive since I'm out of state and now just want to go home, plus I think I got a good deal on the car. So I get the car home put it on the lift to change the oil and the first thing I notice is the car has Kooks headers, high flow cats and mid pipes, and Corsa axle back. The car also has Mopar cai. While under the car some of the wires to the o2 sensors were worn down bad so I fixed those. So I figure the check engine light is from the headers and needs a tune. So I buy the Predator and go to load the tune and it stops and doesn't save the oringal tune because it says it already has a predator tune on the car. My question is now that I tried to load a new tune did I mess up the old tune? The check engine light is now gone. I started the car and drove it and it runs great, and it ran real good before but like any motor head I wanted more. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner did some work, and it would have been nice if he (or she) would have tossed their predator tuner into the trunk when they sold the car so you would have the stock tune. Sounds like you have two options to me. 1) Run what you have if you are good with it, or 2) go to a dealership and have them load a factory tune back onto the car, then modify it yourself since it sounds like you already have bought your own tuner. I personally would want to know what is going on and would want to load my own tune. With the add-ons you mentioned, wouldn't surprise me to find a 180 degree thermostat in the car also. Next time you have it warmed up going down the road, check the water temp and see if it is running in the 185-190 range. Not sure how much it would cost to get the factory tune installed, but I think that would be your best option, and start from fresh. Good luck, and enjoy that Mopar ride.:driving:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bigcounty, it had a stock tstat in it but I changed it and put a 180 tstat in. I think your right about getting the stock tune put back in for a fresh start. I guess off to the dealership I go.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
wow.....headers and high flows...those are a few nice extra surprises to find out about on a car once you already bought it....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Since you bought it from the dealer you should tell the salesman that you love the car (and blah-blah-blah...:D), but you found that the previous owner overwrote the factory tune. Then ask if the service department will 'fix it' and do the factory tune for free.

You bought an 'undisclosed problem' - they should fix it.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Since you bought it from the dealer you should tell the salesman that you love the car (and blah-blah-blah...:D), but you found that the previous owner overwrote the factory tune. Then ask if the service department will 'fix it' and do the factory tune for free.

You bought an 'undisclosed problem' - they should fix it.
I don't think this is an option if he bought it at a dealer out of state.

The other option is to contact the original owner (through the dealer I'd guess) and see if they will sell you their Predator which is currenty useless since it is married to your car. Or since you already bought one, ask them to swap it for your new one. This is a win-win, since then they have a Predator they can sell that is usefull, and it solves your headache.

If the prior owner sells their Predator as-is, the person who buys it is going to be pissed when it doesn't work!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't go back to the dealership, it's about 600 miles away. I called Diablo sport and talk to a tech. He said to get the check engine light to stay off I need a custom tune. When I get the tune done they can download the factory tune to the car so my predator will marry to the car and I should get the new custom tune also. So I'll be looking for for some place good in my area to do a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
This is being taken care of this weekend, got my buddy at the dodge dealer to do it!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well all done, we also did a TCM update, So the car is running great!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well all done, we also did a TCM update, So the car is running great!!
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Sometimes it helps to know the right people.:clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts