Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my ram air hood installed last night after waiting 8 loooong weeks for it to arrive. The install was not too bad, but there are a couple problems with the hood that I am trying to decide if I can live with, or if I need to work with ramairhood.com to rectify.

The main problem is that the hood does not fit well. The passenger side is about 1/4" higher than the fender in a section about 2 feet long (see pics). There is nothing under it pushing it up and the corners are not even close to sitting on the rubber stoppers. The hood lines up pretty well the rest of the way around. I think that the hood is just mis-shaped and does not match the form of the stock hood.

Also, the paint job is OK, but not great. There are some blemishes along the front edge and the color does not match quite right. I sort of expected this and was prepared to take it to the body shop and have it blended.

Here are some pics. Any ideas about the raised edge?

Mob_Muscle

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics...

Here are a few shots that show the raised edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
dam bro the car looks nice. is the lifted edge something that really annoys u, and is obvious, kuz from the pic, it doesnt look that noticable

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dam bro the car looks nice. is the lifted edge something that really annoys u, and is obvious, kuz from the pic, it doesnt look that noticable
Thanks, Dude. It's getting there. Yeah, it bugs me. Mostly because I paid over $1700 for it and waited so long. For that, I expected better. I understand that aftermarket fiberglass hoods rarely fit perfectly, but I still want to try to get it as close as possible.

Mob_Muscle

·
Registered
846 Posts
Your car looks awsome, saw the other thread about the halo tails, love what u have done to it, really mean...

Did u try dry fitting the hood? was it like that when u got it? or did u paint it as soon as you got it? What did the body shop say about this issue, sure they might have a few tricks up there sleeves, but being fiberglass i guess you will need more input from the guys that had it installed on the forums... But so far its looking awsome...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New problem...

Actually, the hood came painted from Ram Air Hoods. So I have not taken it to a body shop. However, when I got home from work today, I noticed little fisheye blisters all over the hood. Looks like the paint from the manufacturer is defective. I sent an email with pics to them. We'll see what they want to do about it. This really sucks! Here are a couple of the pics I sent to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
That's such a good looking hood it really bothers me that they put out such a poor quality part!

Shipping a part that costs that much and it fits that poorly and has a paint job thats is crap too is not good!

If it were my company, heads would roll until quality is inline with price. That hood is so bad it should have not been sold at all, but given away as a second.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
DO NOT settle for a hood that neither fits right, nor is painted right. Ramairhood will make it right, just make your case and be patient. I had a paint issue as well and they made it right (see thread below). You're the first that I've heard of having a fit issue like that and it IS noticeable.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40804

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DO NOT settle for a hood that neither fits right, nor is painted right. Ramairhood will make it right, just make your case and be patient. I had a paint issue as well and they made it right (see thread below). You're the first that I've heard of having a fit issue like that and it IS noticeable.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40804
Thanks, Jackie. That was a good thread. I followed up with a phone call this morning to Bobbie and I am still waiting to hear from her. I hope that they will also compensate me for any additional costs to remove the defective paint as well as the $ I paid to have them paint it, seeing as I would not have had to pay that if I ordered the unpainted hood in the first place. I don't think I should have to pay to get it to raw condition.

I talked to a body shop this morning and they said that this fisheye effect sometimes happens with fiberglass when they don't clean the gun properly when applying the hardener. They said that it may have to be completely removed, primered, preped, and re-painted and cleared. But, they can't say for sure until they can look at it. I'm taking it in today at lunch. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your comments and support.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this for real? 600$?!? Or am I missing something? Doesn'r RamAir sell theirs for 1,000+$?
http://alliance247.com/product.php?pid=852&xcSID=76947ec6695a1e52916fae2ca062bfd5
That is NOT a ram air hood. That is a SRT replica hood. That hood just re-routs the air from the scoop over to where the stock air box is. The ram air hood Type II includes an airbox and filter that sits on top of the throttle body and replaces the stock air box for true ram air induction. Check out the web site.

https://www.ramairhood.com/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=57

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe it would be style I

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought it was too good to be true, I'll pass on that deal. Right now all I have is a CAI from K&N, which would be the one for me to get from RamAir, style 1 or style 2?
If you want to keep your K&N CAI, then you would go with the Style I hood from RamAir. The Style II hood is for people that decide to use their custom air box.

Based on this thread and jackiert's thread, I'm thinking that if I decide to buy one of these hoods, I'm going to get it painted at a body shop locally.

Mob_Muscle,

I hope your problems with the hood get fixed quickly. I am curious if the RamAirHood guys paint the underside of the hood as well. The pictures on their website would lead one to believe that, but I'd like to know from somebody that has one. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Damn I would call Ram Air Hoods an make them fix it or give me a new one :smoke: For $1700 an you get something like that!!! :no:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you want to keep your K&N CAI, then you would go with the Style I hood from RamAir. The Style II hood is for people that decide to use their custom air box.

Based on this thread and jackiert's thread, I'm thinking that if I decide to buy one of these hoods, I'm going to get it painted at a body shop locally.

Mob_Muscle,

I hope your problems with the hood get fixed quickly. I am curious if the RamAirHood guys paint the underside of the hood as well. The pictures on their website would lead one to believe that, but I'd like to know from somebody that has one. Thanks!
Yes, the underside is painted. I just got a call back from RamAir. Deb is the new rep. Bobbie is no longer with the company. Deb said that she is having their Techs look at the pics I sent them and that they will call me back. Meanwhile, I talked to another body shop and he said that it is likely due to pin holes in the fiberglass not being properly preped and filled with primer. I will try to take it in to have them see it in person today or tomorrow. Stay tuned for more exciting news...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.