Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got some good kill stories with thier charger? Smoked some ricer at a stoplight? took it to the track and tried for a good quarter mile time? took it up to top speed? Post it here!

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Got any kill stories..? Quarter mile times? Took it to top speed? Post it here!

If anyone is interested in my story I will PM it... Something tells me this thread would only bring in the trolls..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Re: Got any kill stories..? Quarter mile times? Took it to top speed? Post it here!

just post it, forget about the trolls, if we let them take over our board then they have won........

the only troll you will probaly get is fasterv8, but who cares about him.....

·
Registered
111 Posts

Re-Posting - By Request...

3-4 weeks ago, I pulled up to a stoplight in Stafford, VA one block from the County Courthouse, low and behold an 05 Yellow Pony draws up next to me it was a new GT, the driver had put aftermarket flames down the side. He looked at me and stared, his head shifted to the HEMI logo on the R/T and he revved it... First of all I smiled, then I thought I cannot afford a ticket... especially with the sheriffs office right next to the courthouse... so I briefly contemplated, but note 'briefly'... I told myself there is no way this guy is gonna win... no way... He looked to be mid-20's with long sideburns... The light turns green and I floored it (w/ESP off)... The tires chirped a good bit and I was off, never looking back until I was at about 80. The guy was 50 yards behind me... I slowed to make my right turn and he blew past me like he was headed to a fire... Ok.. I know the GT has a manual, so I assumed he was using it, yet I also assumed he had little experience using it.

Went to bed about an hour later, thinking if I was that kid I would feel like $hit... and not say a word to anyone...

I am thinking about getting one of those 12v MPEG cameras to mount on the dash so that I can capture these moments when they arise... (facing the rear of the car of course)...

Again... The driver factor is huge... That little race should have been closer, but as you all know from 30-70 the Charger beats the GT ... See MPH magazine for the numbers...

Maximum Performance Horsepower (MPH - Aug 05)

Note: From 0-40 the Charger and the Stang are 3.3 while the GTO is 3.0... The GTO wins all 0-??? tests...

5-60 Street Start:

Charger R/T Auto - 5.7sec
Stang GT Manual - 5.7sec
GTO Manual - 5.3sec

30-50 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.1sec
Stang GT Manual - 3.9sec
GTO Manual - 3.2sec

50 - 70 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.5sec
Stang GT Manual - 5.2sec
GTO Manual - 4.4sec

TOP Speed (Electronically Limited)

Charger R/T Auto - 142mph
Stang GT Manual - 147
GTO Manual - 155

There are lots of other numbers... but get the Magazine, the article is really good and its titled "American Bad Asses"

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

excellent...................

·
Registered
111 Posts

Regarding the MPEG Camera...

My buddy rented a professional driver and car in California a few years back. He mounted two cameras on the dash. One for forward view and one for the rear. After an hour of training in the "Rented 1979 Porsche Racecar", he was on his own, after a few laps, he pushed it to 140 and hit a wall. Messed the car up bad. He had to pay 11K in damages to the car before they would let him leave the track. No injuries... but the captured MPEG's from the cameras were awesome...

·
Registered
6 Posts

I could only get my Charger R/T to 125-ish... is that something that changes over time, i.e., as the computer allows etc., ???
rk

·
Registered
111 Posts

Not sure and I am afraid to try it... Too many Cops in Northern Virginia... Have to find a straight, clean as a whistle NO COPS road... I-95 has way to much traffic, and almost all the side roads are too curvy for me at that speed...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

OK Charger RT said:
I could only get my Charger R/T to 125-ish... is that something that changes over time, i.e., as the computer allows etc., ???
rk

you should definatly get higher than that with a programmer. On my Hemi quad cab truck before superchips it hit the revlimiter at 105 mph, I was avble to raise it with the programer to 140. The most i have done on my truck was 120 mph, but i held back, i could have done a little more (and thats with my big rolling brick wall front end) just going that fast in a big truck with 22's was enough for me. and I have an upgraded suspension with bilstein shocks on my truck (im not stock)

·
Registered
280 Posts
chargin06 said:
Re-Posting - By Request...

the driver had put aftermarket flames down the side.

That should have been a big clue about his driving ability. :sick: 50 yard lead from 0-80 is either a bad miss shift or he gave up early. Any kill's a good kill though.

Only nice flame job I've seen on an 05 was an entire front end blue flame on Sonic Blue that ran about $4k.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I can't believe no one has taken a Charger to the track.
Somebody has. Come on and post the numbers. Don't wary if there slow.
Hell I ran passes at 14.89, 14.62, 14.98, and 14.69 in my Magnum. (varied almost 1/2 second)
________
Babes Cams

·
Registered
6 Posts

There were four guys in it, so I had at least 500-550 pounds added....maybe that is PART of the reason for the 125-ish limit.
The strange thing is that it really felt like a limiter 'cause it pulled pretty hard then just stopped..... sure felt like it could haul the 4 of us faster.
:whistle:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

OK Charger RT said:
There were four guys in it, so I had at least 500-550 pounds added....maybe that is PART of the reason for the 125-ish limit.
The strange thing is that it really felt like a limiter 'cause it pulled pretty hard then just stopped..... sure felt like it could haul the 4 of us faster.
:whistle:

the reason the r/t felt like it hit a limiter around 125, is because it did...

with the Daytona and R/T with performance package, that is raised to 145, and with the SRT-8, it is raised even more...

·
Registered
662 Posts

DAYTONA_R/T said:
the reason the r/t felt like it hit a limiter around 125, is because it did...

with the Daytona and R/T with performance package, that is raised to 145, and with the SRT-8, it is raised even more...
This is correct. The regular R/T comes with economy tires that aren't high speed rated :neutral:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
chargin06 said:
30-50 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.1sec
Stang GT Manual - 3.9sec
GTO Manual - 3.2sec

50 - 70 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.5sec
Stang GT Manual - 5.2sec
GTO Manual - 4.4sec
You can't compare those numbers, because the testing procedures are different. In a manual transmission car, they test accelleration in top gear, i.e. they just floor it in 5th at 30 or 50 mph. They do the same thing in the Charger, but because it's an automatic it will downshift into the right gear and take off like it should.

Comparing the GTO to the Mustang is fair because they're both manuals, but comparing them to the Charger is totally unfair. My wife's station wagon could beat those numbers...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dutch said:
You can't compare those numbers, because the testing procedures are different. In a manual transmission car, they test accelleration in top gear, i.e. they just floor it in 5th at 30 or 50 mph. They do the same thing in the Charger, but because it's an automatic it will downshift into the right gear and take off like it should.

Comparing the GTO to the Mustang is fair because they're both manuals, but comparing them to the Charger is totally unfair. My wife's station wagon could beat those numbers...
It's true that magazines often post top gear acceleration, but these "passing accleration" numbers are not the same. You seriously think the stang can go 30-50 in 3.9s in 6th gear?? :lol:

The top gear acceleration is more like 9-10 seconds.
C&D test:
top gear GTO Mustang GT
30-50 mph 9.8 9.6

50-70 mph 9.6 9.2

:asleep:

·
Registered
249 Posts

JSA 007 said:
This is correct. The regular R/T comes with economy tires that aren't high speed rated :neutral:
FAR FROM ECONOMY....

My car has the Continental Touring Tires All Season that are HR rated. These are also on the Benz C class and some BMW standard. There rated at 130mph. Far fast enough for me. I doubt Ill be going 130mph. THe R/T is also far form Regular. Only difference between the R/T and the R/T "performance Package is stiffer suspension and 10 or so more horses. Nothing a Couple lil mods cant already fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Butter06 said:
FAR FROM ECONOMY....

My car has the Continental Touring Tires All Season that are HR rated. These are also on the Benz C class and some BMW standard. There rated at 130mph. Far fast enough for me. I doubt Ill be going 130mph. THe R/T is also far form Regular. Only difference between the R/T and the R/T "performance Package is stiffer suspension and 10 or so more horses. Nothing a Couple lil mods cant already fix.
I work for a Mercedes dealer and the ConteTouringContact are nothing special...they ride smooth, handle ok, damage easly, last about 50K and will smoke all day on a C320 or E320...that's a 3.2L 217 HP V6 for those not farmilure with the M-B line. Not to impressive on my book.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Butter06 said:
FAR FROM ECONOMY....
Well, they're FAR FROM PERFORMANCE...

Maybe H-rated, all-season tires aren't "economy", but as stated before, they certainly aren't anything special :neutral: Especially in the summer... :whistle:

·
Registered
111 Posts

Dutch - I did not post all the data, trying to keep the size down, but I can tell you that the GTO and MUSTANG were NOT tested in top gear for passing. Here are the actual stats:

30-50 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.1sec - AUTO
Stang GT Manual - 3.9sec - MANUAL 3rd GEAR TEST
GTO Manual - 3.2sec - MANUAL 3rd GEAR TEST

50 - 70 Passing:

Charger R/T Auto - 3.5sec - AUTO
Stang GT Manual - 5.2sec - MANUAL 4th GEAR TEST
GTO Manual - 4.4sec - MANUAL 4th GEAR TEST

These numbers are directily from the test page of MPH magazine pg.57

So as you all can see these numbers boast VERY well for the Charger. The R/T moves from lane to lane in a very rigid/stiff manner and moves like a rocket from 30 - 50 and greater MPH....

I Love My R/T....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts