Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Noticed that few of the OEM nuts have started to swell due to which they've been rendered useless.
Looks like ~5 years is the approximate lifetime for them.

What do most of you use as lug nut replacements?

I did search some searching up across forums but it looks like they've (Gorilla) had a change of part numbers again..doesnt help that their website doesnt have one of those automated search setups : /
Looking for something similar to the OEM style, 1 piece preferably...

Any recommendations?

Came across Mcgard as well...but not many people seem to use them...

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I can't say as I've ever heard of lugnuts "swelling", or being renered useless due to that swelling. And never heard of an "expiration date" on lugnuts. Do you have pictures of these lugnuts?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I threw the ruined ones out already - ended up having to hammer a 21mm socket over them and then pry them off.
A couple of others worked ok with the 22 mm socket.

Its like what you see here:

There are quite a few older threads about this across the Lx, Challenger and Dodge forums!

http://www.lxforums.com/board/search.php?searchid=11457066

Attachments

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Yep, those are the ones--I found them on Amazon for about $70 three years ago.

"Please Note that Gorilla has made a running change in the part number. The new part number is: 96643DX"

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Can't say I've ever heard of that. Perhaps I've just been lucky over the last 40-ish years working on cars. But I agree about one thing, having nuts swell can be a real drag...

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Like a Boss
It is soooo tempting to highjack this thread in a different direction ... LOL

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Got mine from Summit. Very Nice. A little longer than stock.Hardened.
I have a tire shop rotate my wheels and cannot see any scars on them.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:

Barely two years in and the nuts have started to show signs of rust.

Discovered this when I took each wheel off to clean up each wheel well and wash the undercarriage of the car with my garden wand.

Cleaning them and applying rust converter chemical didnt help at all - the rusting seems to start under the surface layer before it becomes visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Update:

Barely two years in and the nuts have started to show signs of rust.
I have a set of the 96643BDX myself, and I'm wondering what the warranty is on these things. They've gone way up in price...at around $5-6 each, it seems like they should have a lifetime warranty.

Even if not, I'd drop Gorilla Automotive a line and see if they'll replace 'em for you.

Makes me glad I kept the originals, just in case.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have a set of the 96643BDX myself, and I'm wondering what the warranty is on these things. They've gone way up in price...at around $5-6 each, it seems like they should have a lifetime warranty.

Even if not, I'd drop Gorilla Automotive a line and see if they'll replace 'em for you.

Makes me glad I kept the originals, just in case.
Once its past the first year, the warranty on these expire.
Gorilla only offers warranty on its 'Lifetime' lug nuts.

These aren't Lifetime lug nuts :(

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Once its past the first year, the warranty on these expire.
Gorilla only offers warranty on its 'Lifetime' lug nuts.

These are'nt Lifetime lug nuts :(
But these are the highest-quality locks they sell, no? I know when I bought mine, the Gorilla 71643NBC set were available for less than $50, shipped. But I noticed there were plenty of Amazon reviews complaining of rust, so I ponied up for the 96643BDX, which were more than twice the cost and with better reviews.

Even if they don't offer a lifetime warranty, it seems to me they should be willing to consider some kind of goodwill replacement if they didn't last two years.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Mine are at least 4 years old and still perfect, but they only use salt on the roads here once a year and I don't drive when they do... up in the snowy north I think you should expect rust to attack everything eventually...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah, those stock nuts are a hazard. You'd be on the side of the road and those beauty caps start stripping and spinning. I cut all of those off and then just filled the middle of them with silicone for the time being until I can find some reasonable priced ones. I just keep a breaker bar and a 20mm in the trunk in case I get a flat. They did last 11 years though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts