Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much set on buying a charger (2011-2013) this month or next month I just had a couple questions.

Right now I'm looking at the V6 3.6l model because I have to drive pretty far sometimes and I figured gas would be better but I heard that the gas on the V8's isn't so bad. Do the V6's feel fast enough or is it best to save a little more for a V8? Also, how much difference does it make in insurance to buy a V8? Right now I'm driving an 04 Passat and I'd like my new car to be a little faster although I'm not looking for something too powerful. And my last question, out of the years 2011-13 is there one that is preferable/more reliable than the others?
Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the bottom of the line 3.6 SE with 8 speed and it is pretty quick for a six cylinder. Faster than my Intrepid 3.5 SXT was. The only times it seems underpowered is on the highway. The 8 speed keeps the rpm so low that the car often downshifts to go up any kind of rise in the road. Of course with 8 speeds it is barely noticeable as the rpms only bump from 1500 to 1700 for that downshift.
I am not seeing the 31 mpg claim. On most turnpike trips I am getting around 29 per the EVIC. Most of my calculations showed 27.5 but the last trip calculated at 29 mpg and matched the EVIC. Others say they get 31. Some of the guys with V8's are claiming high 20's mpg, but I think the biggest difference between the 6 and 8 might be around town.
There are times I wish I would have bought the R/T instead of the SE, but then I remember the price difference. It is not just the engine, it is also all the standard options you get when you go to the R/T.
My car is perfect for me and the area where I live. I would hate to buy a nice R/T and then use it as my daily work car. Also, I can't get above 2k rpm without running into someone most times.
If you're considering "fast enough" as criteria, I would recommend the V8.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
With an R/T over the SE or SXT model, your not going to see much difference with mileage on the highway driving. Example, My previous 5.7L R/T AWD would average 24-25mpg on trips. Now I have a 6.4L SRT and my last family vacation, fully loaded with 4 adults I got 27 mpg. Where the v6 is going to shine is on the intown driving.

SE 18-19mpg intown, 29-31mpg highway with 87 octane
R/T 16-18mpg intown, 24-25mpg highway with 87 octane
SRT 17-19mpg intown, 26-27mpg highway with 91 octane

Some claim to get better, some claim to get worse. It really comes down to how hard you drive and geographic location.

Insurance wise, your going to see a little break there too if you go the v6 route but is it enough to sway you in that direction. If was me, my opinion.... I'd go for the R/T all day long. The mileage gain isn't enough for me and my driving style to sway me towards the v6. If you drive ALOT, that would be different.

As far as model years.. well 2011 was the first run of the 2nd gen chargers and had a few glitches but most of them were worked out. If you were to find a good deal on one, it wouldn't sway me from getting it. The 2012-up seem to be rock solid since I'm sure most of the glitches were worked out.

Good luck on your search! Post photos when you get it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi everybody! It's my first post too. I just got my first Charger, a 2014 SXT, a couple months ago. Really enjoying it and my mileage is more or less in line with what Stevens12 is describing. 18-19 city, mid to high 20s highway. I've yet to get my EVIC average to 30 or 31, even when resetting it right before a long highway trip. I was coming from a Honda Civic and my wife drives a Prius, so the V6 feels like a lot of power to me, already more than I would ever need in any given situation. Plus I got the Blacktop package with sport mode, which really ups the torque and acceleration to levels I can barely use, especially on the LA freeways where I do most of my driving. I rarely get the chance to push the V6 to its limits, let alone a V8. That being said, since I started lurking this forum and reading how much people love their R/Ts and SRTs, I have started to wonder if I should have considered a V8.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I enjoy my V6 2013 SXT plus RWD.
Came from 4-cyl Caliber, the Charger's power is really noticeable. A people told previously - the 8 spd trans tries to keep the car on the 1500-1700 rpm interval and here I feel that it kind of "thinking", but when you leave the 1700 towards 2000 rpm - it accelerates fast.
Fuel consumption - never see it close to declared, but here I not surprised.
Single miss - I should get it with NAV (instead of sunroof), to have 8.4" display with Navigation option - really useful IMO.
Why didn't buy the V8? Price tag and wasn't ready to skip V6 and jump to V8.
Next Charger - will be R/T (not earlier, than the will be manufactured with 8spd trans).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The V6 will be better for gasoline consumption in stop and go traffic, and when you accelerate onto the highway, it will be fast enough. Don't forget the Dodge Charge is one good look'n car no matter what engine is under the hood..

Big John

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the real world of city and highway driving, you'll save money with the V6, Right up until the day you decide to sell it. The Hemi-powered cars hold value a lot better, are more fun to drive, and get more thumbs-up from other people. The V6 is by no means a slow car, however. It's like a V-8 as far as output, but not a high performance V-8.

If your goal is to keep operating costs low, and drive the car until it is scrap, the V6 is the way to go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought my first V8 car and it was the Charger RT bough a week ago. I came from along line of buying 4cyl, and v6 cars, this is a major improvement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Practile, congrats on your R/T. I got mine in August for my wife. I've had faster cars, but not with this level of refinement. My R/T is quite satisfying.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The V6 will be better for gasoline consumption in stop and go traffic, and when you accelerate onto the highway, it will be fast enough. Don't forget the Dodge Charge is one good look'n car no matter what engine is under the hood..

Big John
Yea the 3.5 is by no means slow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to go test drive both soon since I've only driven the V6 so far to see what I feel more comfortable in. I found a couple brand new V8's near me for only 23k and V6's for 20k. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to go test drive both soon since I've only driven the V6 so far to see what I feel more comfortable in. I found a couple brand new V8's near me for only 23k and V6's for 20k. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it!
If u drive both you will buy the HEMI lol. Make sure to have some fun with auto stick it wakes the v6 up

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, please tell... $23K is an OUTSTANDING price for a new Hemi Charger. I could get one for my wife and keep my 08 R/T for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Speaking from experience, January is the best time to buy a car. Dealers will beg you to make the purchase. Not a lot of people are buying cars after Xmas and before tax returns.

I have no regrets getting my R/T. Gas mileage on the V6 isn't enough better to make a difference unless you're driving huge miles, in which case, you should get something like an Accord Hybrid.

If I go to pass and some jerkwad speeds up, it's no contest unless they're driving something with some serious power. :smokin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts