Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna give a little background on the situation so everyone can appreciate the significance of this event.

I got my white R/T with RT in the beginning of the summer around June as a sort of graduation gift to drive for just the summer until i went to school and then since my dad is a dealer he will sell the car when i leave. I debated on adding some upgrades but couldnt justify spending the money and then losing it in a few months. I really wanted to get a NoEsp but didnt want to mess with any of the wiring since the car had to be resold. Then just a week or so ago i hear about the 'turn the key' trick but with a build date of 8/05 it was a no go. Well just last night i was on my way to pick up a friend to meet up with a bunch of other people since i was leaving the next day. On my way there i got a phone call and pulled over in the persons neighorhood to answer. I sat there for 5 or so minutes and at one point i changed the cd with the button on the steering wheel and just a few seconds after that i heard a 'bing' and the BAS/ESP light came on and i alrady had the squigglies lit up so i knew what was up. i picked up my friend who was a girl by the and headed for the nearest empty parking lot and i could not believe how easy it was to spin the car around and smoke the hell out of the tires. So after a few mintues of fun i went to my friends house and of course when i turned it back on it was back to normal but last night at home or not it was pure fate. love chargers! :grin:

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Nothing beats burning up tires in a charger!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
That happens when you sit with your foot on the brake for long periods of time with the car running. Happens in the drive thru a lot, I never knew that meant the esp was disabled. Good Catch! This means there is hope for us with an early build date.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it matter if the car is in D or P?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Im gonna give a little background on the situation so everyone can appreciate the significance of this event.

I got my white R/T with RT in the beginning of the summer around June as a sort of graduation gift to drive for just the summer until i went to school and then since my dad is a dealer he will sell the car when i leave. I debated on adding some upgrades but couldnt justify spending the money and then losing it in a few months. I really wanted to get a NoEsp but didnt want to mess with any of the wiring since the car had to be resold. Then just a week or so ago i hear about the 'turn the key' trick but with a build date of 8/05 it was a no go. Well just last night i was on my way to pick up a friend to meet up with a bunch of other people since i was leaving the next day. On my way there i got a phone call and pulled over in the persons neighorhood to answer. I sat there for 5 or so minutes and at one point i changed the cd with the button on the steering wheel and just a few seconds after that i heard a 'bing' and the BAS/ESP light came on and i alrady had the squigglies lit up so i knew what was up. i picked up my friend who was a girl by the and headed for the nearest empty parking lot and i could not believe how easy it was to spin the car around and smoke the hell out of the tires. So after a few mintues of fun i went to my friends house and of course when i turned it back on it was back to normal but last night at home or not it was pure fate. love chargers! :grin:
How does that work... haven't heard about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Build date of 09/05 here so...MORE INFO PLEASE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just sitting there in park for atleast 5 minutes maybe more and like i said i noticed it when i changed the disc though i highly doubt that has anything to do with it. If what portcitycharger said is true then just sitting with your foot on the brake for extended periods of time kills the esp? I'd try it but i dont have my car so someone needs to get out and see if this works!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'm not really up for waiting 5-10 minutes before this goes out. Its happened twice since I have had the car. Once in the drive thru, the other when I was at a RR crossing. Good to know that I don't have to buy anything to remove the ESP funcion.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Does it matter if the car is in D or P?
In both cases where ESP has shut off, car has been in D. I don't think I would be using the brake if she was in parl. The real question is does your car have to be started? I don't wanna burn both gas and tires :grin:

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah your car would have to be started as the car checks (lights shut off and things reset) its info when you start up the car.

and yes this has been known for a while to work, I think esp thinks you break is "stuck" and its getting bad data, so poof, off it goes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tried this out last night. It worked but not sure if I wanna sit for 20 minutes (timed it) to get it to shut off. Also, I did not notice much power. The kinda felt sluggish. So, I am not sure if it is worth the time, gas and pollution sitting in idle for that long. Dunno, maybe will try another day and see if i get anything out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts