Charger Forums banner

Glass cleaner - Meguiar's or Invisible Glass ?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
I've been looking at reviews & comments & both Meguiar's G8224 spray glass cleaner & Stoner Invisible Glass spray glass cleaner appear to be pretty good. Is there any consensus of opinion which one to use?

#6 ·
That's what I've been using, but sometimes I've got to over the windshield a couple times, either inside or outside. I've tried different water/vinegar ratios but maybe I need to make it stronger.

I've also read conflicting comments about newspaper usage. A lot of them (maybe all) use soy based ink & it comes off when wet, which my ink does. Some say that's good, some say not. Maybe I need to find a new roll of newspaper paper.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm a high mileage driver so I keep a large refillable spray bottle filled with Glass Plus and a window squeege and roll of lint fee paper towels in the trunk. I drive in rural areas and have a bug collection when I'm done driving. Also when refueling on trips I eliminate the need to use filthy stinky squeegees provided by the gas station.

A quick spray of window cleaner on the bumper and headlights does wonders to remove bugs and will wash off without harming the finish.

I also use glass plus on the inside tinted windows and have no streaks or damage to the film.

I can't say any particular product is best. Just do not use ammonia and cloths or paper towels with lint. And if you use vineger use white distilled vineger.

#8 ·
Invisible Glass for me. It works better than anything I have ever used.* And yes, I have tried the vinegar and newspaper and in my opinion, doesn't work near as well and isn't nearly as convenient. I wish I could find a small "travel-size" bottle for road trips. The window wash bucket at gas stations is pretty gross most times. But sometimes you gotta use it to scrape off the thick layer of road-kill, then a small bottle of glass cleaner would be nice to have to polish off the streaks. Maybe I'll go have a look around the Amazon site before the next vacation run. (The auto parts stores around here certainly don't carry the smaller sizes)

*Disclaimer-- I have not tried the Meguiar's cleaner - it is possible that it is just as good or better, but once I find something I stop looking. (y)

#11 ·
@ tcope: The only risk with micro fiber is its second to velcro when it comes to junk sticking to it which will scratch tint in a heartbeat if you aren't meticulous caring for them, which I openly admit I was not. I once had eTowel rags which worked better but caved to the convenience of lint free paper towels.

I too noticed that news paper changed over the years. You can hardly read a paper today without getting ink stains on your hands and clothes.

But I've also noticed over the years the interior glass seems to be treated with something that is like a thin layer of saran wrap that grabs onto wiping clothes and paper. Do you or anyone else know if the surface of the glass is treated with something.

#12 ·
@ tcope: The only risk with micro fiber is its second to velcro when it comes to junk sticking to it which will scratch tint in a heartbeat if you aren't meticulous caring for them, which I openly admit I was not. I once had eTowel rags which worked better but caved to the convenience of lint free paper towels.

I too noticed that news paper changed over the years. You can hardly read a paper today without getting ink stains on your hands and clothes.

But I've also noticed over the years the interior glass seems to be treated with something that is like a thin layer of saran wrap that grabs onto wiping clothes and paper. Do you or anyone else know if the surface of the glass is treated with something.
I know exactly what you are saying but this is a function of inexpensive microfiber. I've used them and still use them for certain things but not very often. You can can good MF glass towels which have almost no nap to them, which is what you want for glass. If you don't mind spending a little bit of money (it will be addictive), I'd recommend checking out The Rag Company for some good MF. If you pick something up, get an Eagle Edgeless towel and you will see that good MF does not let debris stick to it.

If you are talking about just glass with no tint, I'd say it's just dirty. It is a huge pain to do the inside but you might want to try some clay bar if it seems like it could be something on the glass. Other then that, it you bought it used and it is not too old, perhaps someone put a glass/paint coating on the window.

#13 ·
I have a couple different towels I got from The Rag Company, including a few they recommended for cleaning the interior such as the dash. I'm not sure if I used those or other ones on the inside of the glass.

The car is garage kept & doesn't need a washing, but the outside of the windshield has a few specs and/or bugs. Not a lot, but I'd rather not get that kind of stuff ground into a nice towel. Sometimes I clean with newspaper or a paper towel to get the heavy stuff off & then go over the glass with a microfiber towel.

#14 ·
The car is garage kept & doesn't need a washing, but the outside of the windshield has a few specs and/or bugs. Not a lot, but I'd rather not get that kind of stuff ground into a nice towel. Sometimes I clean with newspaper or a paper towel to get the heavy stuff off & then go over the glass with a microfiber towel.
Yup, that is where I might use a cheap MF. Outside of the windows will just be glass so no harm will come to them. Walmart has a deal on MF towels every once in awhile, I think 50 for something like $20. I really try to reuse things but at that price they are easy to throw away if needed (I usually use them and then "downgrade" them if needed but at $.50 each, they don't have far to fall before they are at the end of their life).

#15 ·
It's more about the technic then it is about what you use. Using 2 lint free microfiber towels that are designed for windows works best.
I have used just about every brand out there and they all work ok and some much better then others. I don't see any reason to spend crazy money on high end cleaner especially if you have poor technic to clean windows.
Junkmann2008 makes some good points here and if you have trouble cleaning windows you should watch his videos.

#16 ·
It's more about the technic then it is about what you use. Using 2 lint free microfiber towels that are designed for windows works best.
I have used just about every brand out there and they all work ok and some much better then others. I don't see any reason to spend crazy money on high end cleaner especially if you have poor technic to clean windows.
Junkmann2008 makes some good points here and if you have trouble cleaning windows you should watch his videos.
I may be biased but I agree with THIS guy. 😁

#17 ·
I use invisible glass and a blue surgical rag
No muss no fuss
Works great on tint no problems
Non tinted windows I use 0000 steel wool with Invisible glass and a blue surgical rag to get the windows squeaky clean before tinting.
Don’t use the steel wool on tinted windows unless you want scratches!!!!!

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.