Charger Forums banner

General questions im regards to modding my V6

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  NocarKnowledge97 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first official post here and as you can tell from my username I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to cars. That being said, I have a 2016 V6 Charger Rallye (If I could afford a V8 believe me I would've gotten one but I'm only 23 and got what I could afford lol) and if I wanted to add a cold air intake would I have to tune the car first? Are there any other thimgs I would have to do to add a cai or could I just install it? I look forward to reading your guys responses!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums!

With most CAI you do not require a tune with the V6. I would recommend searching the forum for CAI and review the many comments from owners who have upgraded the CAI from the factory to an aftermarket product. And in some cases upgraded from navy factory to a V8 factory CAI.

What are your goals with the engine. Cosmetic?
Performance?

Also, if you can edit your signature/profile with the year and make of your car it will help immensely when you post additional threads later and do not provide info like you did in the subject and body of this post.
First thank you for the response and I will definitely check out the CAI forums to see what other people say. Realistically I want to do more cosmetic than performance. I'm open to doing a tune as well but I was really looking to do the CAI and a new exhaust and leave it at that. My goal is to have as nice a sound that I can get from a V6 and to have something really cool/fun to look at.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Take the money you would spend on a CAI, which isn't going to do anything for your performance, and buy a complete take-off factory dual exhaust from an R/T. It's the exact same system that comes on a brand new GT, and is good for 8 HP, a small improvement in sound, and even a tiny boost in gas mileage. Plus, you can easily tweak or modify it for a little more sound. No need for an aftermarket exhaust.

You should be able to find one on Craigslist for $150 or so.

I'm not sure whether your Rallye has an intake silencer. Pop out your air filter and check. You're looking for the gap between the airbox and the inner fender. If there's a plastic tube extending up into the airbox from the inner fender, you can remove it for some extra growl, like a CAI but without drawing warm engine compartment air.
So I thought CAI lowered the amount of hot air going to the engine and something like a short ram can increase it? I've been doing a lot of research so chances are I could be remembering something wrong. I will check for the silencer before I leave for work and I can look on craigslist for an R/T exhaust too.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
On the V6 and the V8 a cold air intake does basically nothing.... OK if you get one that pulls air from the fender maybe it can be worth a few HP on a track like the Legmaker mentioned above.

If I was a young guy with a V6 I'd probably be inclined to do suspension work.... maybe start with some stiffer front and rear bars then maybe drop it an inch or so with a stiffer spring and shock. Maybe you won't beat that V8 to 60 but you can take that corner at 60!

For seat of the pants every day feel you can't beat that.... a little more noise on the intake or exhaust will cost money and not really get you much benefit. I do agree you should get a true dual exhaust if you can find one cheaply.
I can definitely look into some suspension work. Really the only reason I was looking into a CAI is because of the sound. Same with the exhaust. I don't really plan on doing performance enhancements for the most part. I just want a louder sound and some exterior work to make it look nicer.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
These are basically the key words.
You want great look, better sound.

I would recommend, and done it with previous SXT Plus - get Mopar CAI. Zero performance addition, but V6 sounded very good at 1500-1800 RPMs and the huge bulky blue filter with thick pipe gave very nice look.
BUT:
That Charger has a true dual exhaust, so probably, you need combination of both:
As was advised, get dual exhaust and the the CAI, and you will achieve the goal.
So I just got done looking under my car and I'm almost positive that I made a mistake. I'm pretty sure my car does have a true dual. The exhaust basically looks like an X starting with 2 pipes split in the front coming to meet in the middle then splitting again at the back end. So I'm assuming that's a true dual? Forgive me for not being sure, I don't really know anything about cars lol but I was looking at the Mopar cai and did really like the way it looked and it does sound really great too

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Just count the mufflers.

You will have two resonators in the tail.

If you have one muffler, which connects to the two resonators via a t-shaped pipe, that's the single-into-dual splitter exhaust.

If you have two mufflers, each connected to a separate resonator by its own length of pipe, then you have the true dual exhaust.
Oh ok. I understand now
Just count the mufflers.

You will have two resonators in the tail.

If you have one muffler, which connects to the two resonators via a t-shaped pipe, that's the single-into-dual splitter exhaust.

If you have two mufflers, each connected to a separate resonator by its own length of pipe, then you have the true dual exhaust.

This is basically what my exhaust looks like underneath (It took my a bit to find a decent picture since I don't have a pit to jump down in). I have the Charger Rallye so I'm assuming it has a different exhaust than the normal sxt?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
My K&N produces a noticeable sound difference when you stomp on it. They claim 8hp but even if that's true i can't feel it. My IAT usually reads 10-15 deg above ambient, i don't know how that compares to stock because i didn't check ahead of time.
View attachment 299068
That's mainly what I want (it looks pretty sweet btw). Like what DodgeGuy said, I want better sound and a cooler look. How do I check my IAT thought? I also had to google what it meant lol

Discussion starter · #24 ·
My understanding is the Rallye package gives you the dual exhaust like you have. Mine is the base SXT, i have a single muffler that splits into two out the back. I have a Tazer installed which shows the IAT along with alot of other gauges in the cluster and on the Performance Pages, Check your "vehicle info" in the cluster and see if it shows cause i'm not sure if it will without a Tazer.
Oh ok that would explain why it looks different. Before I go to work I will sift through my vehicle info and see what I find on IAT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.