Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Here's the story. Received 99 Toyota 4runner as my first car (yes atm im 17). It eats snow all day long in Colorado. I love the car and it has served me well, except for some mechanical issues that has been around 3.5k. I just received an 06 lexus rx 330 from my grandparents. I really don't want to insure two cars atm and really don't have the space for it. Im deciding on trading the two cars in for a single, reliable, but fun to drive car. I'm not looking at sti's or evo's that have been heavily modified, I just want a car that has a little bit of "fun " character to it. I was looking at an 07 charger rt awd. I heard that awd system changed in the newer versions and was a pain. I'm definitely going to look into this more. I heard that the awd system in the 07s was quite good at handling snow. I don't expect to take this car up into the mountains during a snowstorm. It's mainly for a good sedan in boulder that has a sporty character. How well do you think the charger handles in light snow? Im probably going to get a lot of crap for my age and my choice of car, but is this car a reasonable option in my search? I also have no tickets, accidents, and maintain a good gpa to have reasonable insurance. Is the rt model going to jack up my insurance significantly? Due to the fact my a teenage guy and this is a "sports car".Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
The AWD system in both generations is top notch. I think you'd be pleased as a daily driver with all season tires, and even in the mountains with snow tires.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I was looking at an 07 charger rt awd. I heard that awd system changed in the newer versions and was a pain. I'm definitely going to look into this more. I heard that the awd system in the 07s was quite good at handling snow.

The '07 used the system that was full time AWD with 35% front and 65% rear. It was a fantastic system that gave a rear wheel drive feel but AWD capability. I had the same on my '05 Magnum SXT AWD (sometimes I wish I still had that car).

The newer version uses an "on-demand" system that kicks in and out of AWD depending on conditions (hence the reason it is called it a pain occasionally since it's not consistent).

How well do you think the charger handles in light snow? Is this car a reasonable option in my search?

It is a great option. My Magnum handled snow up to to 8" deep on unplowed roads back when I lived in Cincinnati and had no issues at all plowing through it.

Is the rt model going to jack up my insurance significantly? Due to the fact my a teenage guy and this is a "sports car".

It shouldn't since it's a 4 door sedan. Your insurance is generally based on your age and driving record and the vehicle doesn't change it much. It certainly shouldn't be different that the other cars you listed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
The nice thing about the new AWD is how easy it is to force it into AWD mode. Just put the wipers on, or autostick. But, it goes on under 32 degrees Fahrenheit regardless.

Mike

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ddaddy and umbra. I heard of some mechanical sensory issues with the later version of on demand awd. I'm pricing the trade in values of both vehicles atm and will have a range to choose from. Very excited atm, because this was an unexpected graduation gift and am very grateful for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price range would be between 18-24k. I've fallen in love with the 2007 r/t road and track package, such a beautiful car. I don't want to blow all of the money on a newer, modified model since I'm looking to do a few cheap upgrades, mechanical inspections, tags, and saving some money for college books. I'll be looking for a reasonably priced version of the above for under 80k miles. Would that be to far fetched to find?

·
Registered
436 Posts
An AWD Charger will be good in the snow.

4runner is gonna be more fun. Save your money and keep driving the 4runner those things are super fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts