Charger Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Dang I'm paying $4.29 for 91 here in Sylmar CA
Yikes! Has there been any news lately regarding Gavin's push to have the State AG look into price fixing by oil companies. I believe it was in the news last October.

Also, can you provide information on availability of 93 Octane in SoCal or elsewhere in the State. Questions have been raised if its available for the general public. Im aware 100 Octane can be purchased at many locations and mixed, but the question relates to whether 93 is available at local stations. Shell, Union 76, Chevron, or others.

See Ol Geezer2018 questions above too.

Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
Scary how low the price war has brought it down....Now less than $30 barrel....Friend living in Texas, tells me drillers need $45/barrel to keep producing....Hence, That feud will add to the economic headaches, and cause more unemployment to the oncoming "recession:|"....But, we will be smiling at the gas pumps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe it's because of the CoViD-19 scare that's why all the gasoline prices are going down right now. Due to some government lock-up and quarantine activities, manufacturers must take the risk of lowering gasoline prices because of the small number of people who are leaving their homes and using their cars.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Scary how low the price war has brought it down....Now less than $30 barrel....Friend living in Texas, tells me drillers need $45/barrel to keep producing....Hence, That feud will add to the economic headaches, and cause more unemployment to the oncoming "recession:|"....But, we will be smiling at the gas pumps...
The floor where oil production in Texas, is negatively affected is not so cut and dry. And let me caveat this by saying I'm not referring to shale oil, deep sea oil or the cost of sinking a well and the start up costs for the pump jack, flow lines, pressure vessels or storage tanks that collect oil from the stripper which are enormous costs.

I had partnership in stripper wells with an operator about ten years ago and when the cost to extract oil became uneconomical we simply turned the power off and let it go dormant and sat it out until prices bounced back which they will. But that cost is not $45 a bbl where the the break-even price is set. Oil production is not as fixed as some people believe. A lot of the cost is relative to what is pulled out of the wells and flowed to the tanks. A bbl of oil is roughly 42 gallons, not 55 gallons (drum) like a lot of people think. In Texas we pay an oil production tax of less than 5%. The cost for loaded transport from the field tank to the transfer station is typically priced per mile. And, if the lease does not have its own workforce, they contract an operator to maintain the equipment in working order. The big cost - - the price of the lease.

In Texas we have an annoying by product of oil production called natural gas (NG). We used to flare off NG like crazy in the state but now many oil producers are capitalizing in NG and capturing and selling it off which is why our NG prices are competitive in the state and electricity is reasonably priced. The smart oil producers that capture and sell NG have a cushion to offset the low oil prices.

The oil industry really taking a hit right now is shale oil.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Paid $2.01 a gallon today for 91 octane. Regular was listed as $1.59.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
93 still $2.96/gallon here in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Some stations around here are down to $1.45 for 87 oct., while others are near $1.80. One of our local news stations is starting an investigation in to why the is such a variation in prices for stations that are only 5 or 10 miles apart. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Sam's has 87 for $1.60, there's a few small places in the $1.50 range.

For 91, cheapest I see is $2.49 with most top tier stations between $2.67 and $2.85.

You can find Diesel for $1.99 but most around $2.30-$2.40.

South Louisiana NO area

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I think there will always be a wide variation in local prices and that is due to some laws.

In my city the cheapest 87 octane is 1.90 and the highest is listed at 1.93. The premium 91 ranges 2.49 to 2.68 .

Ten miles away in a neighboring city, 87 octane is 1.59 and 91 octane is 2.01. That's what I posted a couple days ago and is not a club-membership price. I could save about 10 cents a gallon at Sams Club but it would take a lot of gas purchases just at Sams/WalMart stations to offset the annual $100 membership fee to slide a card at the pump to get the discount here.

In comparison in Oklahoma, 25 miles away there is an EZ Go on the OK turnpike that I use my free fuel rewards program number and get my Conoco 91 octane for 1.90. We make frequent trips into OK and that usually allows us the opportunity to take advantage of that about ever other week.

And the Comanche Travel Center at the OK TX border has 87 for 1.41. But they do not carry 91.

There is also a military installation I've used a few times but do not find their gas prices to be much of a discount because they are on the fringes of the city and by law they can not undercut local gas prices in a few mile radius by too much. Unfortunately, the radius includes establishments that have few pumps and exist to sell cigarette and beer. Which translates to you can travel a few extra miles and get gas much cheaper than what the military installation is allowed to can sell.

Edit: As far as investigating gas prices is concerned, unless there is price fixing or price gouging, there is no law that I am away of other than the federal regulation that military bases have to follow, that prevents a station from undercutting another station or city. Even if the price of the fuel free, you will still see federal and state fuel taxes at the pump unless the station owner absorbs that out his own pocket which I doubt will happen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just paid $2.09 yesterday at Costco for Premium. was so happy I had a little fun with the right pedal on the way home. Charleston, SC area.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Kentucky finally under $2 for 87 (reformulated). Still a 30 cent bump per grade.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts