Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I was paying about $2.60 USD a gallon for 91 and today the price was $2.30 for 91 and $1.88 for 87.

Are prices going down in your area? Wonder what accounts for the steep drop in 1 week.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corona Virus scare... nobody is going anywhere they don't have to
That makes sense and it prompted me to dig deeper. Not only did the virus scare impacted prices, but the price of oil also went down due to Russia resisting pressure from OPEC to cut production. All of this culminated in a three-year low in oil prices.

I do a lot of driving and I really haven't noticed a drop in traffic, but that's probably because I'm in rural areas and major interstates not in large cities that told employees to work from home.

What sort of drop have you seen in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are lucky. I'm paying almost 4$ for 91 here in California
I was raised in the foothills (La Canada) and left the state during the fuel crisis in the early 70's when lines of cars waited for gas and it was common and you could only get 5 to 10 gallons at a time. The cost of living in the state was starting to skyrocket in general and communities were starting to overtake vinyards and orchards.

What I don't understand is why gas prices are not going down, not even a penny, as the number of Californians are jumping on the EVs trend.

I recall business trips CA ten years ago when it was common to pay $5 or more for regular, but I can't recall what oil crisis caused that spike. But even though those prices today are probably rare, you do pay more for gasoline. That's unlucky.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
4 days ago we were paying $1.98 for 87. Yesterday it shot back up to $2.39 overnight. Makes no sense at all, and never has. :mad:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In the past week I saw 87 as low as $1.78 in Columbia. 89 was down to around $2.15. 87 is back around $1.90 today.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
That makes sense and it prompted me to dig deeper. Not only did the virus scare impacted prices, but the price of oil also went down due to Russia resisting pressure from OPEC to cut production. All of this culminated in a three-year low in oil prices.

I do a lot of driving and I really haven't noticed a drop in traffic, but that's probably because I'm in rural areas and major interstates not in large cities that told employees to work from home.

What sort of drop have you seen in Albuquerque.
I paid $2.39 for 91 octane last week, the wife paid $2.19 yesterday..regular 86 octane is $1.92

·
Registered
847 Posts
What I don't understand is why gas prices are not going down, not even a penny, as the number of Californians are jumping on the EVs trend.
$$
Supply and demand for one. As the number of customers decreases, overhead suffers. So they increase to retain profits and cover expenses.

As well, it's California, so they are regulated out the exhaust pipe. They have to cover all of the burdens imposed by being in California.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bloomberg today, reported Saudi Arabia, will be increasing oil production to 10 million barrels a day, even up to 12 million barrels starting in April, to start a price war because of OPEC + alliance with Russia. Negotiations between OPEC and Russia to cut output failed, so the royals decided to saturate the market and lower oil prices. This will be the largest slash in crude the most in 30 years.

For oil producing countries in including the US, it will probably idle some wells which is pretty common when crude prices sink. We'll idle some stripper wells and turn them back on when oil prices stabilize.

We might see some discounted gasoline prices for a while. 4 years ago if someone told me gas prices would be below 2.00 a gallon for regular I would have scoffed at them. I wouldn't be surprised if gas goes down to $1.50 for a short timeframe.

·
Registered
999 Posts
A good percentage of pump price is the state tax....and can renew I think at higher rates...Misleading ...as we in NJ have to live with ! Otherwise, I blame Calif....with it's ability to re-classify the octane of Premium , 93 becomes 91 because Calif says so !...Lower octane is cheaper to produce, or so I'm told...did the price drop...? Will Calif dictate that 89 octane is next to be classified as Premium..?
How do they get away with this...?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm thinking it was around $3.20 for 93 for Sunoco here in Central Pennsylvania in the past few days. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A good percentage of pump price is the state tax....and can renew I think at higher rates...Misleading ...as we in NJ have to live with ! Otherwise, I blame Calif....with it's ability to re-classify the octane of Premium , 93 becomes 91 because Calif says so !...Lower octane is cheaper to produce, or so I'm told...did the price drop...? Will Calif dictate that 89 octane is next to be classified as Premium..?
I understand what you mean, but in a few cities in Los Angeles i pulled up on Gas Buddy, the average price difference between regular and premium is 30 cents. 15 cents difference between reg and mid grade. What advantage does the state have manipulating the grade of gas? The state doesn't collect sales tax on the selling price per gallon.

The reclassification of gas is a non-issue when it comes to tax because States levy fuel tax by the gallon regardless of octane. For example, CA levies a state fuel tax of 53.8 cent per gallon. Whats hidden in that state tax is a 9 cent per gallon state sales tax among other fees.

So combined with the rounded 18 cent federal fuel tax we all pay, CA drivers end up paying around 72 cents in tax per gallon regardless if its Regular, Mid Grade or Premium.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
What's this crap? "Gender-neutral" gasoline now?! smdh...

·
Registered
999 Posts
I understand what you mean, but in a few cities in Los Angeles i pulled up on Gas Buddy, the average price difference between regular and premium is 30 cents. 15 cents difference between reg and mid grade. What advantage does the state have manipulating the grade of gas? The state doesn't collect sales tax on the selling price per gallon.

The reclassification of gas is a non-issue when it comes to tax because States levy fuel tax by the gallon regardless of octane. For example, CA levies a state fuel tax of 53.8 cent per gallon. Whats hidden in that state tax is a 9 cent per gallon state sales tax among other fees.

So combined with the rounded 18 cent federal fuel tax we all pay, CA drivers end up paying around 72 cents in tax per gallon regardless if its Regular, Mid Grade or Premium.
I'm Not looking at the tax issue of the gas...but the simple fact that a State Gov't decided they have the power to re-classify the octane...What caused them to want to do this ?? , I'm afraid it may be a method to get performance cars off the hot sell lists...Lower octane forces Mfrs to have to detune the HP...Right,,! As well as achieve less MPG economy...Thus pushing EV to the forefront..I dunno...just hoping someone here knows...!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm afraid I'm not following you. Do you have an article I can look at to understand the Calif issue in relation to re-classifying the octane. Unfortunately, I am far from being an expert in gasoline or octane ratings.

All I know is the US and Canada use AKI (anti knock index) for the rating number of gas (R+M/2) method we see plastered on the pumps.

I'm not aware manufactures were detuning cars to meet lower Octane ratings. I think manufacturers were building cars to meet CAFE standards and Emissions Standards. Two separate, yet connected standards. I am aware California was the moving force to increase national CAFE standards to ridiculous levels which 12 or more other states were backing to leverage Automakers to build smaller power plants that would have put HEMI's in the scrap metal pile in the hope that smaller engines that get 45 MPG will also produce a lot less smog. Is that the issue involving Calif ?

Edit: Purchased 91 for $2.03 today. Regular was posted $1.69

1 - 20 of 56 Posts