Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking it to the dealership this week, but I wanted to run this past you guys:

About every other time I try to fill my tank, it won't let me. I get about half a tank and the nozzle handle will pop like the tank is full and won't let me put any more in no matter what I do. I thought at first that it was a crappy gas nozzle, but its happened at over 15 different gas stations in 4 different states within the last 6 months. In 6 months I've only had 4 actual full tanks of gas! At my 5 local stations I've tried every one of their pumps, lol. My wife has no problem with hers, and when I asked the attendants about the problem they told me that it happens on occassion, but very seldom.

Anybody have to deal with this before? What was the issue and how did you correct it?

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
I'm taking it to the dealership this week, but I wanted to run this past you guys:

About every other time I try to fill my tank, it won't let me. I get about half a tank and the nozzle handle will pop like the tank is full and won't let me put any more in no matter what I do. I thought at first that it was a crappy gas nozzle, but its happened at over 15 different gas stations in 4 different states within the last 6 months. In 6 months I've only had 4 actual full tanks of gas! At my 5 local stations I've tried every one of their pumps, lol. My wife has no problem with hers, and when I asked the attendants about the problem they told me that it happens on occassion, but very seldom.

Anybody have to deal with this before? What was the issue and how did you correct it?
First, your car should still have the manufacturer's emission warranty so get them to take a look into the problem.

I have seen many vehicles in my lifetime and several vehicles have had the same issue. The reason that this happens is that the gas station pumps are equipped to know if the gas is "backing up" or that the gas tank is full... so the sensor gets tripped and the pump pops and stops putting fuel into your car. Try putting the nozzle in about half way and filling the tank as the vapor portion will not be as sensitive to the fuel flow.

The reason that your vehicle is having this problem could be that the fuel is not being drained into the tank quicker than it is being pumped out. This may have to do with a design flaw of the gas input line ... for the time being try pulling the lever on the pump only half-way instead of the "full-blast" and avoid gas stations that pride themselves on having the "Quickest Pumps in town Guaranteed."

Hope this helps:bigthumb:

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Yeah, my car does this too. It took awhile to figure out but I seldom have the problem anymore. It seems that the gas pump nozzle back pressure shut off is sensitive to the position of the nozzle in the tank. Not in or out part way like Brian suggested but rather side to side. For example, if you look at the nozzle in the tank opening straight on, The nozzle handle lines up with the 6 o'clock position when it's straight up and down. Mine likes to be lined up to the 7 o'clock position to flow best without premature shut off. Mine works best with the nozzle all the way in, not part way out.

Try yours in different positions like this and see if it helps. Also, some pumps just are too fast when wide open and I have to fill slower like Brian suggested.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I haven't put in any gas since my last post, but I will need to tomorrow. I had to change my dealership appointment to another day, due to the fact that I like to sleep, lol. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

While I'm there they are going to examine my brakes. They started squealing and shuddering prematurely. Well, at least I think its premature. Thank the lord for warranties :cowsmile:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks guys. I haven't put in any gas since my last post, but I will need to tomorrow. I had to change my dealership appointment to another day, due to the fact that I like to sleep, lol. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

While I'm there they are going to examine my brakes. They started squealing and shuddering prematurely. Well, at least I think its premature. Thank the lord for warranties :cowsmile:
There is a TSB for this,it tells you to let your car idle for 60-90 seconds before fill up.The TSB#14-001-09.This effects 05-09 LXs.It says that the LXs have a saddle tank,and it takes it that much time for tanks to equal out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
There is a TSB for this,it tells you to let your car idle for 60-90 seconds before fill up.The TSB#14-001-09.This effects 05-09 LXs.It says that the LXs have a saddle tank,and it takes it that much time for tanks to equal out.
This is good info. I hope it helps Dreadnought but I'm wondering if he was slinging the car around just before EVERY fillup. It seems unlikely but only he will know that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is good info. I hope it helps Dreadnought but I'm wondering if he was slinging the car around just before EVERY fillup. It seems unlikely but only he will know that.
I realize this is an old thread but I have definitely not "slung" my car around before every fill up. I have started it, driven 1/2 mile to my cas station and it still doesn't fill up correctly. I have tried letting it idle and that didnt work, maybe next time I will try letting it idle longer.
Anybody find any new solutions to this problem yet?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I have definitely not "slung" my car around before every fill up. I have started it, driven 1/2 mile to my cas station and it still doesn't fill up correctly. I have tried letting it idle and that didnt work, maybe next time I will try letting it idle longer.
Anybody find any new solutions to this problem yet?
There has been a solution for yrs.Your problem is most likely the Inlet control valve in the fuel tank.Like I mentioned on this thread there is a TSB for this problem.Jeeps are having the same problem,in fact I had this problem on my wifes 08 Jeep Liberty.Only fix is a new fuel tank,because the valve is built into the tank.Here is one report on the problem,and the TSB:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2011/03/23/fuel-spit-back-continues-to-plague-chrysler-vehicles/ Report

https://sites.google.com/site/gravediggerfreek/FuelNozzlIssues.pdf?attredirects=0 TSB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts