Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on buying a Charger early in 2008 and at over $90 a barrel of oil, I'm wondering how high were gonna see prices go??.. and how it's gonna impact the decision to get an RT.. vs an SXT.. or dare I say a different vehicle altogether to get 30+MPG..

Ya'd think it it get to $3.50-$4.00 sales of Hemis would go down, trade-in's would increase and the overall demand/resale would go down (buyer's market..).. plus increases rebates/incentives from Dodge to move the new units.. So next spring would be a good time to buy new or used, if you want to pay the price at the pump.. (not that my 2.7L Intrepid gets any better than 24-24.5mpg right now..)

Another trade-in market will be those moving from a Charger to a Challenger.. but not sure how many that will realy be..

Thoughts?..:confused:

JK

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Gas prices have never been to much of an issue for me, but it all depends on what your budget is like and how much you have to spend. If you don't think you'll be able to afford $3-4/gal, then you might want to rethink your choice. Good luck with whatever model you decide to go with.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I already pay $3 +. If it goes to 3.50 there will be a dramatic change in my driving style, and how often I drive. At 4 I would HAVE to consider my vehicle choice.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
if you commute a lot buying either charger isnt a good choice. if youre like me and dont care, buy the charger...hell buy the 6.1 and really gulp the good stuff.

with my mods, i get about 9mpg city, but then again, i love to look over at prius drivers and give them the sub 10 mpg wink.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I'm averaging about 20mpg, best so far (all highway) is about 24. Kind of disappointing for a V6, considering many R/T guys are getting about the same, with the MDS.

Still LOVE driving it, though! :grin:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Gas is only about 2.90 here (I think...I don't really bother looking anymore)...it costs me about $40+ to fill up on 93 once a week.

If gas prices get too high, I'll just change my driving style and not go out of my way "just to drive" like I do now.

No matter what, the Hemi still gets better gas mileage than my V8Mountaineer!! So it always looks like the Charger has good gas mileage to me! :lol:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Gas is only about 2.90 here (I think...I don't really bother looking anymore)...it costs me about $40+ to fill up on 93 once a week.

If gas prices get too high, I'll just change my driving style and not go out of my way "just to drive" like I do now.

No matter what, the Hemi still gets better gas mileage than my V8Mountaineer!! So it always looks like the Charger has good gas mileage to me! :lol:
I wish it only cost me around $40 to fill up, I'm pushing $70 right now in my Grand Cherokee, so as soon as I get the Charger I hope it will go down a little bit even if gas prices get a little bit higher. (I usually fill up 2-3 times a week too)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man, it costs over $50.00 to fill the charger around here, and there are three or four refineries within 30 miles of me. Hell, I can see two of them from here. Never quite understood why gas was so expensive in the same area that they blend the stuff.
If you get the charger, just be really nice with the go pedal.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Yea for me... I have 2 cars to fill & gas just went up! At least one of them can use the low grade :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Even if it goes to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon I'm not gonna stop driving the charger. Each dollar increase will cost me about $15 a week, and I can suck that up by bringing my lunch a couple of days a week and no more trips to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

If I went and got a car that got twice the gas mileage of the Charger, I would only save $30 bucks a week and I would be pissed off all the time from having to drive a tiny, slow car :) I'll find some other way to save the $30 or make $30 more a week.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Even if it goes to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon I'm not gonna stop driving the charger. Each dollar increase will cost me about $15 a week, and I can suck that up by bringing my lunch a couple of days a week and no more trips to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

If I went and got a car that got twice the gas mileage of the Charger, I would only save $30 bucks a week and I would be pissed off all the time from having to drive a tiny, slow car :) I'll find some other way to save the $30 or make $30 more a week.
X2...though I'd miss the starbucks, but there's no question it would be worth it!!!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Plan on buying a Charger early in 2008 and at over $90 a barrel of oil, I'm wondering how high were gonna see prices go??.. and how it's gonna impact the decision to get an RT.. vs an SXT.. or dare I say a different vehicle altogether to get 30+MPG..

Ya'd think it it get to $3.50-$4.00 sales of Hemis would go down, trade-in's would increase and the overall demand/resale would go down (buyer's market..).. plus increases rebates/incentives from Dodge to move the new units.. So next spring would be a good time to buy new or used, if you want to pay the price at the pump.. (not that my 2.7L Intrepid gets any better than 24-24.5mpg right now..)

Another trade-in market will be those moving from a Charger to a Challenger.. but not sure how many that will realy be..

Thoughts?..:confused:

JK

Go ahead and get the R/T cause it's only a 2 MPG difference. I commute 40 miles one way to work, and I get about 26 (NO WOT). To be honest, if you are worried about a gas crunch, either SXT or R/T won't be the safest choice for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

It's about $50 a week now, and that's coasting

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wish it only cost me around $40 to fill up, I'm pushing $70 right now in my Grand Cherokee, so as soon as I get the Charger I hope it will go down a little bit even if gas prices get a little bit higher. (I usually fill up 2-3 times a week too)

It'll cost you about $55-$60 to fill'er up in the OC buddy.

If you drive like I do, expect to get around 12MPG!

·
Registered
635 Posts
lets see......premium here is $3.60......I average out to about 14mpg....I havent changed my driving style due to rising prices but I did buy a hoopty mobile (91 honda civic wagon 5 speed) to do the short errands where parking is crappy... I love my car and love driving it on longer drives where theres more open road... ;) I did not buy this car for gas economy I bought it because I love the power no matter what price of gas may be I will love driving it no matter what....

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
lets see......premium here is $3.60......I average out to about 14mpg....I havent changed my driving style due to rising prices but I did buy a hoopty mobile (91 honda civic wagon 5 speed) to do the short errands where parking is crappy... I love my car and love driving it on longer drives where theres more open road... ;) I did not buy this car for gas economy I bought it because I love the power no matter what price of gas may be I will love driving it no matter what....
Very well said :)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
regular is around 3.10 here in Indy, My wife switches back and forth between the charger and her astro van, so she can go two weeks at a time between filling up, so we try to fill them up when the price is down. The bad thing is I have my own company and I have to drive alot, I put like 75.00 in my truck about every 3 days on average.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts