Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
So I have a little issue. My gas pedal is sticking on my 09' SXT 3.5.
Its not every single time, but seems to be happening 25% of the time, and almost always sticks, even briefly, if I really mash the pedal.
I press the gas and it will physically stick, not return on its own right away.
It will take say 2-5 seconds for it to finally return back to the "no throttle" position.
I am having to quickly slide my foot under it and pull it back up.
So far I am able to deal with it, but its scary and unsafe.

I have checked to make sure the floor mat is not an issue.
I took it to the dealership and was told by a service advisor (not actually looked at by a tech yet) that the charger is drive by wire, so the issue cannot be a stuck throttle cable or throttle body issue.
Was told that its going to cost me $800 to have it diagnosed and then replaced, cuz they would more then likely have to replace the entire pedal assembly.

Now before I go this route, anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I have looked at is best I can (im a big guy, hard to get down there) and I don't see anything immediately popping out at me.
I was thinking as I live in Colorado, that perhaps the road de-icer and gunk from my shoe may have caused something to stick..

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Do you have power pedals?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I think I may. I have never used them, but want to say I remember that they were adjustable when I first bought it.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If you do, cycle them all the way from all the way out to all the way in at least twice. Then see if you can make the pedal stick (engine off while parked). If not, then try it while driving an see if it's fixed.

The pedal adjustment switch is on the front of the drivers seat where the power seat adjustment switches are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will try that tonight.
didn't even think to check if the pedal sticks with engine off.
If the cycling of pedals (assuming I have them, I know only the driver side has switches on the seat) what would be the cause?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It could be part of the wiring harness has fallen a bit and gotten in the way of the pedal and is hanging it up. By cycling the pedal it stretches the harness out and back again moving it out of the way.

If this doesn't fix it, then get the pedal to stick while the car is off and inspect the assembly to see what is hanging up.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If you are sure it is sticking, idk
however, i have had a scare twice now, where i would mash the pedal, and the car would stay on WOT, however pedal was not stuck. A person or two suggested carbon build up on the throttle body blade causing it to stick open. Started using better gas here n there and the proper octane to clean out the carbon and no problems since.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If you are sure it is sticking, idk
however, i have had a scare twice now, where i would mash the pedal, and the car would stay on WOT, however pedal was not stuck. A person or two suggested carbon build up on the throttle body blade causing it to stick open. Started using better gas here n there and the proper octane to clean out the carbon and no problems since.
The OP stated that the pedal physically stuck, not that the car stayed at full throttle after releasing the pedal...

"I press the gas and it will physically stick, not return on its own right away.
It will take say 2-5 seconds for it to finally return back to the "no throttle" position."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I just cycled the pedals.
It stuck first attempt with engine off.
I can't see anything under the dash.
But I was able to push the pedal down,
Watch the pedal as it stayed down on its own
And then watched it release unassisted a few seconds later

....hmm

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Your only other option is to remove the assembly and inspect it to see what is hanging up. It could be a sticking bushing that simply needs lube or a mechanical failure that requires partial or total replacement. No way to tell until you can closely inspect it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts