Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every single time I fill my charger with gas it overflows. Not just a drip, a flow that runs down the side and onto my beautiful 22's. I have tried pushing the nozzle in farther, pulling it out farther, filling slower, filling faster, all to no avail. Is anyone else having this problem or have any ideas for me? thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
No problems here, are you topping it off? Also i am not sure how your pumps are but here in Cali once liquid hits the tip of the nozzle it stops the pump.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
turn it upside down as you pull it out and cup your hand under it.

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
yea its not the car.....the car doesnt send a signal to the pump to stop....the nozels are sensored and when liquid hits it is sopposed to shut off....are you using the same place everytime? becuase maybe thier pumps are jacked.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
when you install the nozzle. lift it up when filling it...... kinda like when your pour beer into a glass for less fizz.. min used to shut off prematurly becasue of the bubbles in the gas.

Maybe this could help your situation.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Does it overflow at every gas station or just one in particular? I would assume it's just the one. Like everyone else said the car doesn't tell the pump to shut off.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No problems here, are you topping it off? Also i am not sure how your pumps are but here in Cali once liquid hits the tip of the nozzle it stops the pump.
I used to do this with all my cars, but quickly found that the Charger does not like to be "topped off". When the pump shuts off first time, you are done. Don't try and squeeze more in, it will overflow real easy.

You can tell when it is getting near full just by the sound. I suggest you stop early. As a minimum, let up on the trigger.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I used to do this with all my cars, but quickly found that the Charger does not like to be "topped off". When the pump shuts off first time, you are done. Don't try and squeeze more in, it will overflow real easy.

You can tell when it is getting near full just by the sound. I suggest you stop early. As a minimum, let up on the trigger.
x2. I always top it off, and after the latch kicks back from the sensors or whatever being activated. I always slowly add an extra buck or 2...I'm talking very slow.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have tried pushing the nozzle in farther, pulling it out farther, filling slower, filling faster, all to no avail. Is anyone else having this problem or have any ideas for me? thanks!!!
god that was hot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a different gas station every time, it doesn't matter what pump it is. I NEVER top it off, it overflows before the auto shut off occurs on the pump. I can't figure out how to keep it from doing this.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have never had this problem (knock on wood) but if it's that bad maybe you should see the dealer. The Charger definitely is not a top off car. I know everyone's tempted to pump it up to the whole dollar when it clicks off but this car is full when it says so. If my fiance gets out to fill it I always yell that out the window at him lol.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Every single time I fill my charger with gas it overflows. Is anyone else having this problem or have any ideas for me? thanks!!!
The filler nozzle has a main filler tube and also has a filler tube vent line. The vent line is the vapor escape path while the fuel is going into the larger, main line. This creates a smoother liquid inflow without gurgling. If the vent line is clogged, all the vapors are forced to exit thru the main tube while the fuel is trying to go in. Those vapors will cause large amounts of fuel to be burped out of the filler tube once the tank starts getting full. The fuel will fill the neck faster than the pump handle's shutoff response time. Just like if you put a funnel tightly over a bottle opening and try to pour water into the funnel. The air rushing out of the bottle thru the funnel opening will splash water everywhere. If you slightly raise the funnel off the bottle so air escapes around it, the water will go in without splashing. I'd have the dealer verify that the vent tube is not clogged or damaged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts