Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip yesterday. My car just flipped the 20k mark and I calculated right at 28 mpg. Before I left, I calculated 22 mpg avg on hwy/city daily driving to work and back. I've been using 89octane gas and it has been doing a whole lot better.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Good to hear the numbers are going up with more miles, on highway, I'm around 26, looking for more!!! I agree since I switched to 89, I have seen a jump too.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Hey, that's great! I have about 3k mi. on mine and I'm getting about 23 mpg, with about 80% highway. (Granted, there IS some room for improvement with my driving style... hehe) I assume the AWD will get a little lower than the 2WD... Has anyone noticed if tire pressure makes much difference with this car? My S-10 Blazer with 235/75's on it was VERY picky about tire pressure!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just got back from a trip yesterday. My car just flipped the 20k mark and I calculated right at 28 mpg. Before I left, I calculated 22 mpg avg on hwy/city daily driving to work and back. I've been using 89octane gas and it has been doing a whole lot better.
I achieved 29.5 mpg the other day,highway driving 80 mph with ac full blast,car and trunk loaded and with the hemi.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i just got 30 mpg driving to nc over the weekend at 70 mph on cruise. now this was with my stock wheels not my 22's. on the big wheels that same trip a few months back was 21 mpg.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was reading the manual and it says to use either 87 or 89, but recommends 89 for maximum performance. I asked a friend at work today, which is an ASE certified automotive tech, with an automotive degree, and he said that 89 would give better milage. Personally I dont understand the phisics, and I have not had my car long enough to know yet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
89 Ocatane would allow the ECU to provide more spark advance which would result in more power. More power would allow less throtle at a certain speed thus saving on gas. Usually the increase in the price of the gas is more signifigant than the increase in mileage.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm at 4K miles and I'm still getting 23 mpg (80% highway) from my daily commute to work and back. I'm happy with the mileage now, that'd be great if it actually rose!

·
Registered
43 Posts
What the hell am I doing wrong. I only get maybe 19 if I am lucky. I have 22's on the car but I cant imagine they would make that much of a difference. I have a 45 minute commute each way that is pretty much stop and go the whole time. Will those factors hurt my gas mileage that much?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My SXT gets 17 mpg if I'm lucky and I have had the car for two weeks. I only have 900 miles on it and I have only put 89 in it. I have not even hit 100 mph in my car but I do like to accelerate a bit. Still, I have no idea what I need to do in order to get 20 mpg.

·
Registered
890 Posts
16 mpg 100% highway, 89 octain. Early test, under 1000 miles

·
Registered
890 Posts
how fast were u goin??
Set the auto pilot on 70, for the interstate, and a little 55 in town. I should have said 98% highway, because I did drive about 2 miles in town, but it was about 120 miles total.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used to get around 18-19 in my sxt with 4,500 miles, i recently traded it in for an R/T and currently been getting around 16.5-17 (95% city) so its not bad that MDS is a lifesaver. The 3.5 isn't really that effecient in my mind definatley not worth the lil u save on gas over the growl and torque of the hemi 5.7 at least, the 6.1 is another story all together that thing gets 14 if your lucky on 93 octane.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
What the hell am I doing wrong. I only get maybe 19 if I am lucky. I have 22's on the car but I cant imagine they would make that much of a difference. I have a 45 minute commute each way that is pretty much stop and go the whole time. Will those factors hurt my gas mileage that much?
The 22's will hurt some and the stop and go will kill it all together.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I get about 25-26 on the highway but only about 10-11 mpg in local city driving :lol:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I used to get around 18-19 in my sxt with 4,500 miles, i recently traded it in for an R/T and currently been getting around 16.5-17 (95% city) so its not bad that MDS is a lifesaver. The 3.5 isn't really that effecient in my mind definatley not worth the lil u save on gas over the growl and torque of the hemi 5.7 at least, the 6.1 is another story all together that thing gets 14 if your lucky on 93 octane.
That has been my complaint, that when going from a v6 to a v8 the milage is only decreased by one. I have the R/T 2.4L Caliber, and with my 3.5L Charger I get almost the same milage. It is crasy to think from a 2.4L 4 to a 3.5L 6 is only one mpg better, and then to the 5.7L 8 it is only 1 mpg less again. The difference in performance is very drastic. The reason I did not go for the R/T charger was because it was $10,000.00 more. My SE was just over 20k with the 3.5L Unless you put a turbo on a 4, to me what is the point, the v6 is only slightly worse milage and a lot better responce. If it was not for the fact the V8 cost a lot more, I would say all cars should have v8's or greater.

Where is that 10L Hemi V12?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts