Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 SE. At first the gas gauge would indicate 1/8 tank. Now it indicates 1/4 tank and I run out of gas. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
trip reset?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought this was a sarcastic thread. Like, "I just put gas in it a few days ago and now it's empty!"

Coming from a car that got 24 mpg, that was my first thought.

/thread hijack (sorry)

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have an 07 SE. At first the gas gauge would indicate 1/8 tank. Now it indicates 1/4 tank and I run out of gas. Has anyone else had this problem?
Try recalibrating the gauge cluster and see if it fixes it.

Here's how:

Cluster Range Diagnostic. (Works on all LX models)

1) Be sure key is set to the 'OFF' position.
2) Press and hold the 'Trip Meter Reset' button.
3) Turn the key to 'ON' position.

The gauges will step through the whole range. If your gauge is acting funny, this is an easy way to see if it's the sender or the gauge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an ole 07 Charger with the Hemi in it, It's an ex cop car, I have the same issue with the fuel gauge reading 1/4 tank and running out of fuel. I have replaced both pumps and have done the recalibration of the cluster many times and still have the same issue. Any help on a fix would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have an ole 07 Charger with the Hemi in it, It's an ex cop car, I have the same issue with the fuel gauge reading 1/4 tank and running out of fuel. I have replaced both pumps and have done the recalibration of the cluster many times and still have the same issue. Any help on a fix would greatly be appreciated
Hi Duane Holman,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern. If you PM me your VIN, I can look into this for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm having thew same issue replace the primary fuel pump still does it I notice though the last to days was cool in the 60's gauge worked fine, but today it was in the 80's and humid and the gauge was doing it again any ideas as to whats causing this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is 2007 and just had the same problem today. Last week had an engine light. My mechanic told me it was a fuel sensor because my gas cap was lose. Thought that was weird but it went away. Now I think maybe a bad fuel sensor. Not a car guy though. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Have you tried recalibrating the gauge? (see post #5 )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow !!! I can't believe this, well maybe I should. I have a 2013 5.7 charger and the same thing.

Shouldn't there be a recall on these ???

At one point the gauge just stopped at above half a tank. Then ran out of gas. Fortunately was close to home but have trip A. The next day, towards the end the gauge seemingly started working normally. But this morning it looked like it was where it should be knowing how much gas was in it. But it gets to an 1/8 so I decided to put another $50 in it but only took 39 and topped off. And yet the gauge is bt 1/2 and 3/4 full. So it this point its a mileage game to calculate when to get gas until I find the correct answer here.

Haven't tried the re-cal yet but pressing the button to run it appears to work normally. Hmm...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did reset it per the instructions in post 5. Didn't see the gauges do anything like the post indicated. Time will tell, I suppose. Side question. Could a faulty fuel sensor also cause the car to stall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 2007 SXT. When i top it for full tank, the gauge always stops at 1/2. then it stays there until im close to being empty then drops to empty when it does.!

any help on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas guage problem

Regarding the gas guage reading 1/4 or 1/8 but running out of gas, I was going to suggest that the fuel line from the pump wasn't reaching the bottom of the tank. I had a Cadillac with this being rusted off and if I went up an incline, I'd run out of gas but on level ground, I was okay. However, you said you had the pump or pumps replaced. I'm not having that problem with my 2009 Charger but my concern is that my guage will stop working completely and my fuel light will come on with the guage sitting at empty. Then, it will start working on its own for a while. Other times, it will read 1/2 tank even after I've already filled up. The engine check light will come on and go off on its own and when I reset the fuel cap, sometimes the engine light goes off, others not. I've even replaced the fuel cap and when I took it to the dealer, they suggested changing the primary fuel pump but the problem has returned. It seems to be better when I fill the tank up but once I use some of the gas, it all starts over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If reset of instrument cluster does not work the issue could be faulty sending units or chaffed circuit from sending units to instrument
cluster. the sending units have a single path to the instrument cluster. what I mean is they do not send any information to another
module and then have that info relayed to the cluster. the cluster receives the info from the sending units directly and that average from both sending units determines fuel gauge reading. what I have found is that the connector on the back side of the instrument
cluster can develop corrosion and or come slightly loose and cause resistance or voltage reading issues. remove and clean the connector and wiggle the connector harness and see if the gauge position changes or moves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an ole 06 Charger sxt , I have the same issue with the fuel gauge reading 1/4 tank and running out of fuel. I have replaced both pumps and have done the recalibration of the cluster many times and still have the same issue. Any help on a fix would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have an ole 06 Charger sxt , I have the same issue with the fuel gauge reading 1/4 tank and running out of fuel. I have replaced both pumps and have done the recalibration of the cluster many times and still have the same issue. Any help on a fix would greatly be appreciated
As others said, it could be sender and associated stuff or pickup. When it ran out, did you then fill it - all the way? How much gas did it take? Full number of gallons - I don't know what these cars hold - or not so much? If full tank worth of gallons, then it has to be sender / wiring / cluster. If something much less than full tank, then it's not able to pull gas when it gets to about 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 would read full after filling up but when it reached 1/2 a tank it would never give an accurate reading. I tried the reset and took the pumps out and tested them but it turned out to be the cluster .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts