Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a change in how the Garmin navigation looks in their car?

The map display is larger, with that right-side column moved to the bottom sides. There is now a large trip 'computer' when you press on the MPH in map view. It shows (let's see what I can remember) the current MPH, miles driven (about 350 for me since the update), top speed, etc.

It took me a couple of days to notice this, and I think the changes are positive so far. I did notice that my home location was cleared, as well as history. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It sounds like you've just had your settings reset to default. This has been in all of the systems since 2011!

The bigger map is due to one of the settings - I forget which one right offhand - being set to "Normal". If you set it to "More Information", it will shrink the map view and put the column of additional information on the right side.

The trip computer has always been there, too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Without knowing what caused the reset, there's no way to tell. A good sign of a reset is that the only favorites are the Garmin locations. Even if you delete them from the favorites list, they can come back after a reset. But not always...

More than likely, they've been deleted and you'd have to put them in again.

If this just happened by itself, it might not be a big deal if it happens ONCE.

As nice as the Nav system is in these cars, there is a slight problem with implementation in the rest of the radio. If you check the debug logs in the hidden menus, there are a usually a lot of "abnormal shutdown" events. I suspect that the radio kills power to the internal Garmin module very abruptly. There may be a possibility that occasionally a write operation is being done to the Garmin's flash memory and it gets aborted unexpectedly.

Every once in a while, you may notice that the Garmin takes longer than usual to boot up and displays the splash screen for a long time before the Nav UI is ready. I think that may be due to the system recovering itself after one of these events. Most of the time, it is able to come back on it's own, but it may rarely have to resort to more drastic measures and clear itself out of user data.

If it happens again, there may be something wrong with the Garmin module and should probably be replaced. I wouldn't want to try to explain to the dealership what is wrong, because they'd never be able to reproduce the fault. In that case, I'd 'cheat' a little and make the radio have an obvious fault so that it would be replaced.

Hopefully, you're still in the warranty period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts