Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking over the Pontiac website. The new G-8 sounds cool. The looks aren't anything new, but the jam a v-8 into a small car always sounds fun to me. they are priced under 30k. 360hp...wonder what it weighs. I'll hafta do some internet searching on this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a search and nothing came up. Huh ...Now I feel stupid

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnx...checking it out now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I can't believe they are ripping off the Daytona colors: purple & orange!!

They have red too, but almost all cars come offer some shade of red.

There is no navigation system or bluetooth phone. Pontiac would rather sell you a subscription to their lame onstar product.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am putting down a $2k deposit with a local Pontiac dealer tonight. They won't arrive till spring but I have that "kid waiting for christmas" feeling already.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am putting down a $2k deposit with a local Pontiac dealer tonight. They won't arrive till spring but I have that "kid waiting for christmas" feeling already.
Don't you think there will be a GTP or GTX version out later in '08?
(Or is that scheduled for '09?)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't you think there will be a GTP or GTX version out later in '08?
(Or is that scheduled for '09?)
Right now the GXP is up in the air. If its given the green light, it will likely come with the LS3 and a 6M tranny. But, I can always take a standard G8 GT with an auto and have the good folks at Carolina Auto Masters perform their magic with the APS twin turbo kit ($6 k complete - 500 rwhp). The kit is already proven and available as it has been boosting LS2 Holden Commodores for some time now.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Right now the GXP is up in the air. If its given the green light, it will likely come with the LS3 and a 6M tranny. But, I can always take a standard G8 GT with an auto and have the good folks at Carolina Auto Masters perform their magic with the APS twin turbo kit ($6 k complete - 500 rwhp). The kit is already proven and available as it has been boosting LS2 Holden Commodores for some time now.

Sweet. I think I'd rather wait for the LS3, the brake/suspension upgrades it will probably have and a chance to get the initial production bugs out - then go to APS...!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wanted a RWD performance sedan. The G35 was too small, the CTS too slow and old man like(I couldn't afford a CTS-V,) the 540i was too expensive. I saw the Charger and had to have it.
Right after I bought my R/T a few months ago, I heard about the G8. I've always been a GM guy(former Chevy tech) so hearing that they had something like Charger made me wonder if I should have waited.
Having seen it now, I can honestly say I have no regrets. The G8 looks so much like the last 20 years of Pontiacs: Gran Prix, Bonneville, Grand Am, etc. Not impressed.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
From what I've seen and read about it, the exterior is definatley bland. The interior looks killer though, especially the leather interior. Should be interesting when it comes out and matches up to the Charger.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The G8 with the LS engine is nothing more than a rebadged and now defunct GTO. They have a good engine but a ****ting manual transmission. The stock tires are garbage on those vehicles because I went heads up with a GTO and he was all over the road. But I do have a Eibach Suspension System: Springs, Coilovers and Sway Bars with 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports. Simply state they are fugkly ugly!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The G8 with the LS engine is nothing more than a rebadged and now defunct GTO. They have a good engine but a ****ting manual transmission. The stock tires are garbage on those vehicles because I went heads up with a GTO and he was all over the road. But I do have a Eibach Suspension System: Springs, Coilovers and Sway Bars with 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports. Simply state they are fugkly ugly!!!!
That's nice.

Everyone else,

If the GXP version is a go, expect it to share many components with the Vauxhall VXR8. The left-hand drive and the LS3 would be the only major departures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBB7lFoKfY

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I was just looking over the Pontiac website. The new G-8 sounds cool. The looks aren't anything new, but the jam a v-8 into a small car always sounds fun to me. they are priced under 30k. 360hp...wonder what it weighs. I'll hafta do some internet searching on this.
I will try to keep an open mind, but here's my thoughts.

This is not a small car. About the same size as the Chevy Caprice (>4k lbs), with 360HP. Nothing wrong with that, but I won't be trading in my SRT8 anytime soon for that family cruiser.

Now, I see the low base price ($30k). Sounds good, but then I start digging around on the website. Standard interior is cloth, leather will cost extra $$. Oh, and the sport wheels and suspension is extra $$, as well, on-top of base. Not sounding like such a great bargain anymore. Oh, to move up towards SRT8 power in the GX? version, add a few more $k more ontop of the rest... well, you see my point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
According to this months issue of Car and Driver, the G8 is nearly the same size as the 300 and the comfort levels are comparable. It looks like competition.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The beauty of the GTO and now the G8 is that it is not a GM North America product. The QUALITY of the Holden interior materials (Plastics, Leather) is far above anything GM N. A. offers, superior even to Cadillac.

If you can get used to the Aussie styling, for the money Holden is hard to beat.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My thoughts on the G8...

All this is, is an answer of the cries of the enthusiasts of 4 door modern muscle cars, that want...4 doors with plenty of room...a V-8 engine...some cool styling features...and i would say the selling point is the option for a manual trans...Its not a bad looking car at all...and if i didnt have the charger i might have even thought about test driving one...This IMO is a direct stab at DCX...with it being the car designed to directly compete with the charger...i think thats obvious...Now all we need is Dodge to wake up and build a meaner charger in answer to this from the R/T to the SRT...for instance...take some aftermarket products, put them in production vehicles, still maintain drivabilty, in a comfortable, safe, economical, vehicle that turns heads, puts a smile on your face, and doesnt break the bank...sure the G8 base price is 30K but start adding options and the price goes up, as with any, car but side by side G8 and the Charger...the charger wins...in the looks department solely...i dont care how fast the car is...it needs to look cool doing it...the G8 has some looks to it, but it doesnt hold my attention like the Charger does...So all Dodge needs to do is put a manual trans in the charger and ill never get outta it or ever get rid of it...regardless of what pontiac has to offer...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts