Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I test drove a 2020 SXT Charger the other day and fell in love. I plan on buying one in the near future and am curious if anyone has any advice for me. Tell me about your experience buying a Charger.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Purchasing cars right now is a mixed bag with auto production slowed down and halted in some cases due to the micro chip shortage that supports the auto industry. Used car prices are going though the roof currently and a few owners on the site have recently sold their Chargers. You can imagine new car prices are probably not being heavily discounted at the moment . But good luck and hope you purchase a Charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums.

Purchasing cars right now is a mixed bag with auto production slowed down and halted in some cases due to the micro chip shortage that supports the auto industry. Used car prices are going though the roof currently and a few owners on the site have recently sold their Chargers. You can imagine new car prices are probably not being heavily discounted at the moment . But good luck and hope you purchase a Charger.
that’s very helpful information thank you. I’m trading in a 2015 civic ex-l when I buy a Charger. Is now a better time to trade in used cars since inventories are lower?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've owned two so far; a 2012 SE that I got in 2017, and a 2015 R/T that I got last August. The 2012 was bought from a small dealership whereas the 2015 was purchased privately. The most important lesson I have learned is that patience is key when looking for a good deal. The 2012 was the first car I've ever purchased, so I got a little too excited and didn't look around much. It was pretty rough around the edges in terms of paint quality, suspension condition, and general wear and tear. I was love blind at first, but as I got used to it I started to notice little things here and there. I loved that car, but I eventually got the itch to sell it and try to get an 11-14 R/T. After I finally found a buyer for the V6, I waited for months for the right car to pop up. A few here and there really tempted me after test driving them, but I knew I could do better. Finally, one day on CarGurus I saw a 2015 B5 Blue R/T with 5,000 miles for $25K. I knew that it was right due to the price, condition, options, ect. It was definitely worth the 150 Mile drive to go check it out and confirm the sale!

So basically, if you have the time, I would wait for just the right one to pop up and not jump the gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Generally I buy a new or almost new car and hold it over a decade. I generally start looking for a great bargain 6 to 12 months out and also time up supply/demand/discounting waves. Now is not a great pricing environment in my opinion. Shortage of new and used cars = less discounting. I would say to hold off unless you see a great deal on a car you really want.
On the other hand, if you want a non electric/hybrid car, the days of pure gas cars are winding down. So,if you think you may want a Hemi later, buy it soon and maintain it. I doubt there will be a full gas v8 coupe/sedan sold at reasonable price in a decade.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hey all,
I test drove a 2020 SXT Charger the other day and fell in love. I plan on buying one in the near future and am curious if anyone has any advice for me. Tell me about your experience buying a Charger.
thanks in advance
My advice is don't test drive an R/T or Scat Pack... I'm only half joking. I have an 2019 R/T and my previous daily driver was a 2006 R/T... for me the extra 20 hp and 8 speed over 5 speed was plenty noticeable.... not to mention all the new technology and creature comforts on the 2019.

Had I tested a Scat I probably wouldn't have rested until I found a sun roof less Scat ;)

Serious advice, test the GT and the SXT the price difference is pretty close and you get a much different feel with the GT suspension and seats etc. Maybe you enjoy that and maybe you don't but it makes sense to try both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My advice is don't test drive an R/T or Scat Pack... I'm only half joking. I have an 2019 R/T and my previous daily driver was a 2006 R/T... for me the extra 20 hp and 8 speed over 5 speed was plenty noticeable.... not to mention all the new technology and creature comforts on the 2019.

Had I tested a Scat I probably wouldn't have rested until I found a sun roof less Scat ;)

Serious advice, test the GT and the SXT the price difference is pretty close and you get a much different feel with the GT suspension and seats etc. Maybe you enjoy that and maybe you don't but it makes sense to try both.
I test drove an R/T and that was it, I wanted one. Let my wife drive my R/T and within a year she traded 11 yr old Durango for Durango R/T. My son has Daytona 392 and I need something faster now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,
thanks in advance
I’ve always been in love with these cars! I have a 2015 SE. I’m the first owner of my baby! I got it in 2016, so yea it’s been a good 5 years! Regular oil and air filter changes. Recently I’ve been having more issues than I care to explain, but I guess it all started with me putting bad gas in my car. I’m not car literate and I’m not sure how much you know about cars, but do know many of these newer model cars have a lot of electrical things going on that’s makes getting it fixed a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm currently driving a '15 Rallye (similar to the current GT package). My previous Charger was an '06 Daytona with the high performance (10HP extra) Hemi. I find my Rallye is nearly as quick in normal driving (city & highway) and gives much better gas mileage (I got 35+mpg on a recent 300 mile trip). The Rallye & GT handling are great. Every year my college alumi association sponsors a track day at Watkins Glen racetrack. I've been able to keep up with Corvettes in the corners, and almost keep up with them on the straights. The thing I miss the most is the V8 "rumble". I'm very happy with my Rallye, and have been trying to talk my wife into buying a GT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts