Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had a few questions I wanted to ask to charger owners/enthusiasts as I am thinking of buying a Charger Scat Pack. I currently have a loaded 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie that I love but I am wanting a sports car now. I am going for a charger because I also have a 20 month old.

1. How much do people typically get off of MSRP?
2. Any time frames for a new redesigned model?
3. Any features/options that are must haves? Was mulling doing adaptive suspension but is it worth it?
4. How do these engines take to a supercharger? Will it need built at some point?
5. Widebody worth it?

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
431 Posts
4. Low boost, 5 or 6 psi of boost on a factory engine. If you wanna push it, you'll have to build it. It's setup for naturally aspirated power.
<IF> You are thinking about this seriously, you might want to try and swing a hellcat. H/C transmission is built to handle the power, so is the rest of the power train. Especially if you would have a shop build/install the Scat for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Current charger platform dates back to 2006. significant facelift in 2015. No set date of when the next platform will be, but it will likely be a big update. Current rumours at 2023.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
1. See this thread.

2. Haven't heard but they will build the current 2020 model through October.

3. I like options so for me, the more the better. The adaptive suspension is a must have in my opinion, if your roads are flat smooth asphalt then maybe you don't need it.

4. Everything I've seen is that no, they do not take to supercharging well at all. You mess with it and blow it up, you are on your own. Just not worth it. My opinion is to be happy with the way it is, if not, buy a Hellcat.

5. Yeah, Widebody all the way!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.
If I go for a widebody and add in the plus package, I am getting pretty close to used Hellcat territory. I have thought about getting a Hellcat, I would need to buy used to afford it though.

How reliable is the Powertrain on the Hellcats?

The only reason I am asking about supercharging is because my last muscle car, a 2013 Mustang 5.0, I was starting to get bored with the power and wanted more. I’m sure the same will happen with the Charger!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Actually when you order a wide body with the plus package and whatever else catches the eyes, and then factor the future cost for installing forced induction, you are near new HC territory. Buy a HC.

But before diving into a HC drive a SP. There is no similarity between your former 420hp GT and the 485hp/475 torque Scat Pack. The HP & torque is more than even the current base 5.0 GT. You need to test drive one to appreciate the power behind 4 doors and actually ask how much more power is really needed if its going to be the family sedan.

And while you're at the dealership test driving, spec and get a quote.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Nothing like a new car. And you don't know how this Hellcat was treated, or if it was modded or tuned and even has a warranty left. And SRT requires an oil change every 6 months from new so if that wasn't done and documented, there goes your warranty again. I'd be SPWB all the way!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm a little confused on the why you want a Charger? You say because you have a 20 month old. Well the truck or Charger both work fine as family haulers.
Now if you have deep pockets and don't mind loosing a lot on your truck, then by all means, get a Charger. But not because of the 20 month old, just you want a Charger.
Thats fine! :)

Good luck which ever way you go.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
^ True...now that you mention it, I'd think life would be easier with hauling kids in a pickup truck vs a sedan!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Charger R/T
2,756 Posts
^ True...now that you mention it, I'd think life would be easier with hauling kids in a pickup truck vs a sedan!
Have a 16mo old and I have ZERO trouble hauling her and her gear around. It’s quite easy to fold and load her stroller in the boot than having it flip around in the back of a truck.

And as you can see plenty of room for the seat and front seat passenger.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Wide body, yucky to me. Truck flares to accommodate wide tires that are spendy and hydroplane easier. Put knobbys on and tow hooks in the nostrils and hit the trails.

But really, the child's legs will be hanging out of the child seat pretty quickly. Two car family? 392 SRT Jeep?

Good luck and enjoy. If you are going to boost go 5.7 if you stay MOPAR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! There are some really good valid points here. There is much I need to think about. I think I will really miss my truck but if I pay the Charger off in a few years, it will be worth the sacrifice. As I would keep it for life.

The reason I mention the baby is because I would be looking at a Camaro if I didn’t have a little one!
I really want a RWD V8 muscle car and the Charger fits the bill for my current life situation. Also it’s probably my favorite looking muscle car right now.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Copy keeping a vehicle. I got a 2005 Silverado new, put a blower on it @5k miles and still have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I had a few questions I wanted to ask to charger owners/enthusiasts as I am thinking of buying a Charger Scat Pack. I currently have a loaded 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie that I love but I am wanting a sports car now. I am going for a charger because I also have a 20 month old.

3. Any features/options that are must haves? Was mulling doing adaptive suspension but is it worth it?
4. How do these engines take to a supercharger? Will it need built at some point?
5. Widebody worth it?

Thanks Everyone!
I just took delivery of a factory ordered Charger Scatpack lastweek. Took 2 months from order to delivery. MSRP was $49,370, I got it for $43,500. I went with the regular narrow body because the fender flares do nothing for me, besides I can barely fit into my two car garage. This is my 3rd Charger, I also had a 2015 SXT and a 2018 base model scatpack. The must have options for me were upgraded caramel/black interior, Harmon Kardan sound package, sunroof, dynamics package and plus package. I went with the new colorway Hellraisin (dark metallic purple). Overall, with 485 horses you really dont need much more (unless you're going to the moon) and the spacious interior cabin is by far the most accommodating of any sports car out there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the new future owner.
Don't know, if this ultimate decision, but the Charger definitively has one of the best "presence on the road" and extremely great family cruiser.
My kids grown (and continue) in Charger. The kid, who sat behind me (prior moving to the front seat) complained "why there is not enough space in such big car?" . But last year he liked to be dropped to the school in Charger.

Good luck in finding the Charger that fits you.... But it not sports car, it affordable modern full size sedan muscle car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't boost a scat. If you need more than 485 horses just get a Hellcat. But drive both. I go days without a chance to use my 485 horses, get 20 mpg in town and find it relaxing to never need more than 10% throttle to keep up with traffic. I just couldn't justify 700 horses. Plus I wanted the safety suite of auto braking, lane keeping, etc.
If you were willing to get a used hellcat, what about a used scat? I paid 31k for a 2017 with 30k miles and every option except sunroof, you could get it for less now during Covid. I love it, it's a ton of car for the money plus the previous owner put a Corsa exhaust on it that sounds mean. Might be able to keep the truck and afford both. I am at Home Depot every weekend wishing I had one!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yeh, I had to boost my 5.7 to get 485 flywheeL HP. But it's plenty of power, mpg is there according to foot behavior.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I second that impression of road presence. People naturally moved out of my way and mine was just an SXT but it had that presence...looked more like a cop car than a family hauler. Loved that car.

·
Registered
8 Posts

5. Widebody worth it?

Thanks Everyone!

5. Widebody worth it?

Thanks Everyone!
Hey Dave07, you probably can't get any money off the MSRP due to the sales of the charger is hot but you can still the HP rebate but not on the widebody, as for SP or HC if you have concerns about your 4month old go with the SP the power is more manageable than the HC and it is easy to loose control of it not a good thing if you have your baby on board and for must have options go with the dynamics package you get more tire and bigger front brembo 6piston breaks to stop is a heavy car I have it on my 2019 SP and it performs great good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts