Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from www.autoextremist.com:

(Three Arrows Up)

The Chrysler Group. Now that the financial analysts have been given a preview of the Chrysler Group's new models, which are coming over the next 12 months, Chrysler has finally admitted the existence of the next iteration of their LX rear-wheel-drive platform - the Dodge Charger. Though utilizing the same basic architecture as the Chrysler 300/300C and the Dodge Magnum sport tourer, the Charger has a distinctive look all its own, which doesn't borrow from either car. Not quite the ultra swoopy profile of the vaunted Charger concept of a few auto show seasons ago, the new Charger is nonetheless a handsome and distinctive machine. Featuring a coupe profile, the attractive four-door has a stance and road presence similar to the Magnum, but the look is new and fresh - and completely devoid of any styling overtones that could even be remotely construed as being "retro." The only problem for Chrysler is that the Charger won't make its street debut until next spring as a 2006 model, instead of being available right now. The Dodge dealers are aching for this car, and it's going to be a long, tough wait. We shudder to think how the restrictive "spec" car templates of NASCAR's NEXTEL Cup series will neuter the new Charger, but it will make its debut in next February's Daytona 500, after the production car is officially introduced at next January's Detroit Auto Show (the auto show formerly known as the North American International Auto Show). We predicted the 300C and the Magnum would be big-time hits over a year ago. And now we're predicting the new Dodge Charger will be the third consecutive hit off of the Chrysler LX platform.

·
Registered
94 Posts
PVOMan said:
Not to push any panic button, not to expect the SRT version until late fall.
Fall 2005 for the SRT Charger? That early? Excellent.

I'll need a new car next year but I can probably hold off until fall. Sign me up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll take a 2 door Plymouth, Dodge or Chrysler as long as it looks cooler than the current LX siblings and goes like hell!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am so sick of the whole 2 door, 4 door debate. It needs to go away. Who gives a damm if it has 4 doors as long as it looks good. People wine way too much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
eazyg said:
I am so sick of the whole 2 door, 4 door debate. It needs to go away. Who gives a damm if it has 4 doors as long as it looks good. People wine way too much.
It's important to a lot of people, and for them, making their feelings known on a forum where at least a few DCX employees hang out is one way to try and influence what eventually comes to market.

And, lately, there is some suggestion that their voices are being heard.

So who's whining?

·
Registered
153 Posts
eazyg said:
There are alot of us who don't think a four door looks good or just plain don't want a four door. What makes stating one's opinion whining? When you boil it down wasn't your post a whine about other posts anyway?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe I was a bit of an ass. That post sounded like I was being pissy and bashing people. Sorry about that. Not my intent. I was real happy to see a forum about this car that I have drooled over since 1999 when I first saw it. I want to make friends not enemies. Please except my apology.

I was getting at the people that completely trash the car because it has 4 doors. Saying it would be a disgrace to the charger name and stuff like that. They make it sound like it's not a charger if it has 4 doors. I would like to see a 2 door version and would choose that over the 4 door as well (so long as the extra 2 doors are hidden well like the concept) but that doesn't mean that the car should be hated and trashed because it has 4 doors. The 300 is a nice car but the extra 2 doors are not hidden at all and that I don't like. It is still a nice car.

Let me ask a question,
What is so wrong with 4 doors if they are hidden well like the concept?
I already know you don't like it but why don't you like it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
eazyg said:
Maybe I was a bit of an ass. That post sounded like I was being pissy and bashing people. Sorry about that. Not my intent. I was real happy to see a forum about this car that I have drooled over since 1999 when I first saw it. I want to make friends not enemies. Please except my apology.

I was getting at the people that completely trash the car because it has 4 doors. Saying it would be a disgrace to the charger name and stuff like that. They make it sound like it's not a charger if it has 4 doors. I would like to see a 2 door version and would choose that over the 4 door as well (so long as the extra 2 doors are hidden well like the concept) but that doesn't mean that the car should be hated and trashed because it has 4 doors. The 300 is a nice car but the extra 2 doors are not hidden at all and that I don't like. It is still a nice car.

Let me ask a question,
What is so wrong with 4 doors if they are hidden well like the concept?
I already know you don't like it but why don't you like it?
For one, I don't have any need for the extra doors as I don't have small kids and would not have people climbing in and out of the back seat very frequently at all. Additionally, I think (as it seems you do too) that two door cars simply look better than their four door counterparts. The '99 concept was initially designed as a two door (and patented as a two and four door) perhaps that's why it still looks cool as a four door. When I was growing up, performance cars were two doors - the four doors were for the family guys. I'm not completely opposed to four door cars (I own an SRT-4 and my wife has a 300M) but it would take either one hell of a car or one hell of a deal to get me to buy another four door - I'd simply prefer a two door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of Americans fondly remember the big-block. rear wheel drive, 2-dr hardtop cars of the Musclecar Era of the 1960s... An entire segment, the likes of which were known as Chargers, Roadrunners, GTXs, SuperBees, Galaxie XLs, Impala SS', (even Rebel Machines, Grand Prixs, Starfires, etc.), all equipped with two doors, big-blocks, lots of interior room with real back seats, capacious trunks, towing ability, drag strip performance, and optional manual sticks, is now gone!

Build the Charger as two door full-sized musclecar. CONSIDER the interest (in dollar value$) of older collectible 2 door coupe and convertible musclecars versus their four door and station wagon counterparts as they cross the contemporary auction blocks?

The Charger SHOULD be a two door. The HEMI-C 300 is availbale with four doors, so I doubt the argument could be made that potential HEMI four door shoppers will be ALIENATED by a two door Charger.

TWO DOOR HEMI CHARGER NOW!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was at the plant last week and all I can say is the car is awesome!!!!! 6.1L Hemi - fantastic lines. They have rolled some off the line and there are more to come judging by all the racks of panels around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
prowlers said:
I was at the plant last week and all I can say is the car is awesome!!!!! 6.1L Hemi - fantastic lines. They have rolled some off the line and there are more to come judging by all the racks of panels around.
Can you confirm that it is a true four door (as opposed to a two door or 2+2 door)? How well have the rear doors been "hidden" in the design?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its a true four door. The sweeping lines coming into the back hide the door line pretty well. I would say it is somewhat similar to rear roofline as the above concept.

·
Registered
6 Posts
prowlers said:

A few more Chargers went down the line - covered up as it went. However, obviously the cover came was shifted around as they put panels on the car. Cars were then immediately shipped out of plant

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Prowlers for the news! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great info. It's amazing that they keep the car covered so well even as it's going down the line. I guess there's still an extremely limited group of people who have seen the actual car without any sort of masking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts