Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, disclaimer here. If your point behind the wheel is to deliberately be out of control, drifting, that sort of thing, this has nothing to do with you. This about being as fast as you can be, under control.

I took maybe 10-15 laps on a very fun course. I was pushing the car to the limit of my abilites. And in some case, I'd like to think the cars too.:) ESP, while fully on, only intervened a few times. After a helluva switchback, I was trying to add power too much, too soon. This kicked the back end just enough that the car pulled power. Not to much, just a hair, but enough to let me know power here was NOT going to help:)

The key, it seems is about always being in the right place with the steerng wheel compared to the cars rate of turn. Start having to countersteer, your done. Add enough power that the back end kicks out, your done. But, if you keep the back in line, and dont get so far out of line that you need to steer against the direction of travel, and you can flat nail the turns.

Think of this this way, countersteering is also called "steering into the skid", right? If your skidding in the first place, your not going as fast as you can forward. At many times, the tires (all four) were at the edge of traction, dancing over inperfections in the pavement, and ESP never intervened, since I never let the car get so far out of line that the yaw sensor and steering angle were divergent.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lap times, nope, they didnt time us. Close calls to walls, no, not to many walls there, the track was Beaverun, but there were a lot of times I felt that anything going wrong would leave me skidding across the grassy areas. Right on the edge, the car was dancing at the edge of adhesion.

Top speed? I logged 114 on the straightaway once, miht have gone a little quicker, but not much, if any. Here's the course I was on. Listed below is what I do remeber of cornering speeds by the turn numbers on the image

1,2,3: 30-40-50 in order, you open it up as you go, as the corners open up.

4: 50-55

5: Gotta slow down here, its a sharper turn, that goes uphill, start it at maybe 30, getting towards 60ish through 60, slight tap of the brakes before you hit

7:, which is a blind crest, your about 50ish, hanging to not get to far across the track, or you'll blow 8, which is about 80 and climbing

You hit maybe 100, a little over as you approach 9, anoth slight tap on the brakes, but you cant gain back to much speed before the biggie

10:, which climbs back up through 11 and peaks at 12, another blind crest. 10 is your slowest point on the track, and you can add power up that hill, through 11 and 12, and hit top speed on that front straight.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I discovered that I really like ESP on road courses when I went to the SRT Experience. A couple times, I was running ball$ out on a turn and HAL saved me a bunch of times. I actually became a bit more aggressive cuz I knew HAL wouldn't let me lose it if I did something stupid. (within reason :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lap times, nope, they didnt time us. Close calls to walls, no, not to many walls there, the track was Beaverun, but there were a lot of times I felt that anything going wrong would leave me skidding across the grassy areas. Right on the edge, the car was dancing at the edge of adhesion.

Top speed? I logged 114 on the straightaway once, miht have gone a little quicker, but not much, if any. Here's the course I was on. Listed below is what I do remeber of cornering speeds by the turn numbers on the image

1,2,3: 30-40-50 in order, you open it up as you go, as the corners open up.

4: 50-55

5: Gotta slow down here, its a sharper turn, that goes uphill, start it at maybe 30, getting towards 60ish through 60, slight tap of the brakes before you hit

7:, which is a blind crest, your about 50ish, hanging to not get to far across the track, or you'll blow 8, which is about 80 and climbing

You hit maybe 100, a little over as you approach 9, anoth slight tap on the brakes, but you cant gain back to much speed before the biggie

10:, which climbs back up through 11 and peaks at 12, another blind crest. 10 is your slowest point on the track, and you can add power up that hill, through 11 and 12, and hit top speed on that front straight.
Thanks for the info, kinda makes you excited just reading about the speeds and imagining what it would feel like to go through the turns based on the picture provided.

But you missed the most important question:

Vagabond said:
Lap times? Top speed? Close calls to walls? Crap your pants at any point?
I think I smell something......evasion maybe? :nervous s

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, never got quite that far out, although on one lap, the Magnum ahead of me got so far out of line I was worried that he was taking a wild ride. He pulled it back though. Only one guy lost it, right there on 11, spun and evidently came back down the hill, recrossing the track back towards 9, on the 10 side. Ended up in brass, both he and the car unhurt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sounds great....wish this was available in Canada. SRT experience people don't seem to want to respond to my e-mails though, so I'm assuming that it's a US only offering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts