Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new Charger with a 3.5 Engine------Thus far have only put one tank of gas into it which was 87 Octane--Clark.....Haven't noticed any pinging so I'm kinda hesitant to start putting 89 Octane if not needed with the price of gas as it is. However, if the 87 is a problem, of course, I'll "pop" for the higher octane.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Larry

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Just purchased a new Charger with a 3.5 Engine------Thus far have only put one tank of gas into it which was 87 Octane--Clark.....Haven't noticed any pinging so I'm kinda hesitant to start putting 89 Octane if not needed with the price of gas as it is. However, if the 87 is a problem, of course, I'll "pop" for the higher octane.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Larry

I put 87 in my SXT for the first year and never had any issues. I use 89 now since that is what the manual is asking for.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
89 Is recommended in the manual. You can use 87 but if you hear pinging, move to the higher grade. An extra dollar or so won't hurt now will it :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I just don't get trying to save $1.50 - $3.00 a week and possibly damaging a car that you paid $20,000 to $30,000 for. Yes, the car will pull timing due to the knock sensor, but there is only so much it can do once the engine gets hot and is under heavy load. Your talking about saving $156 bucks a year at the possible expense of the engine of your $20,000 plus car. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
my dealer told me 87 but i put 89 just to be on the safe side you know beause in the manual it says it there and the dealership just sells the car.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I just don't get trying to save $1.50 - $3.00 a week and possibly damaging a car that you paid $20,000 to $30,000 for. Yes, the car will pull timing due to the knock sensor, but there is only so much it can do once the engine gets hot and is under heavy load. Your talking about saving $156 bucks a year at the possible expense of the engine of your $20,000 plus car. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
exactly. Mid-grade is only 10 cents a gallon more expensive, and I usually put 15 gallons in each fill up, so thats $1.50 extra I'm paying per fill up.

definitely worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.