Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get an odor of gas inside your car when you fill up? There's several issues that seem to be popping up with Chrysler fuel pumps located under the rear seating. Not just on Chargers but also the very similar Chrysler 300's and possibly others. The cheap plastic tops to the fuel pumps become brittle in no time, cracking and allowing fuel to leak out which sits on top of the housing! The seals are also going bad prematurely which can cause the same issue, and the plug directly on top can short out from the fuel. How well does gas and electricity mix??? I've found multiple others with the same issue after just a few hours of googling the issue.

Here is a complaint I filed with NHTSA and I suggest if you had this or similar issues that you should file the complaints as well or nothing will ever get done. I will also post some pictures of what I have found today, and here is a link to file the report if you should do so:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Your Vehicle's Make Model and Model Year: DODGE CHARGER 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Fuel/Propulsion System
What happened?
I have been smelling a strong gas odor while driving on the road especially when the tank is full. Today while parked in my driveway I noticed a puddle of gas under the car too. The puddle was under the left rear seat. After some research I found a very common problem with these cars seems to be the fuel pump under the rear seat (Where my 6 and 7 year old kids sit). I pulled up the rear seat and found the pump is leaking through the electrical connector and large amount of gas is pooled on top of the pump!! I used dozens of paper towels to soak it up and it just kept coming out. The electrical connector is also brown/burned near a couple of the probes indicating the gas is causing a short within the plug!! I unplugged the connector and found that the gas is actually spewing out from inside the connector on the pump, where the prongs are. Researching online I see multiple of the same complaints that the plastic top of the pump cracks, and there is even a website that sells a metal cover to help protect the fuel pump cover! I see multiple people complaining about this very dangerous condition in Chrysler vehicles and yet nothing is being done about it. The more research I’m doing online the more reports I am finding regarding fires occurring in minor collisions that should not end that way. Including a report of 4 passengers burned to death, and some vehicles that combusted after being parked. This is barely a 4 year old vehicle and no way should a fuel pump housing be brittle and cracked like this already. Photos are attached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too was shocked to find gas leaking under the car. After changing my fuel pump I installed that metal cover you talked about and I haven't had any more problems since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too was shocked to find gas leaking under the car. After changing my fuel pump I installed that metal cover you talked about and I haven't had any more problems since.
Did you file that complaint though? Enough people make the complaint they have to listen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you file that complaint though? Enough people make the complaint they have to listen.
Not yet. Didn't want to wait years for them to act on it as I needed it dealt with now before the car burned up or someone got hurt. I'll report it now that I know I'm safe. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Scary to learn this...May explain a visit I had to the dealer last month...I merely asked if they could check my front wheel alignment...for possible toe in...Why, they ask? Cause my gas mileage is terrible..car only has 5600 mi...and I once bought a new car that the dealer corrected poor MPG , noting it left the factory with excessive toe in...Gives cars the feel of great handling, at expense of fighting forward motion..hence MPG...and it did make a big difference..Regarding my 2018 Charger,,They had the car for 1 1/2 hr....20 min on alignment rack..then relocated to a a lift at other end of shop...I kept peering in from outside...Couldn't imagine what they were doing...for another hour...They finally gave it back..said everything is in correct spec...Visit was a No charge...items that were on rear seat were now on floor...Could they have been inspecting my fuel pump...? Did they find any gas spillage? I'll never know...and haven't driven it enuf since to determine if MPG changed..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Would A 2010 model be affected by this? Good find and thank you for spreading awarness.

I'm skeptical to put my baby back in my car now.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You all will note that the "DodgeCares" NEVER responds or comments on those issues that genuinely involve safety of the vehicle - like the leaking gas tanks. I guess having the manufacturer get into the position where it can be shown they were aware of a safety issue, yet did nothing could be bad for them when something tragic occurs later.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Scary to learn this...May explain a visit I had to the dealer last month...I merely asked if they could check my front wheel alignment...for possible toe in...Why, they ask? Cause my gas mileage is terrible..car only has 5600 mi...and I once bought a new car that the dealer corrected poor MPG , noting it left the factory with excessive toe in...Gives cars the feel of great handling, at expense of fighting forward motion..hence MPG...and it did make a big difference..Regarding my 2018 Charger,,They had the car for 1 1/2 hr....20 min on alignment rack..then relocated to a a lift at other end of shop...I kept peering in from outside...Couldn't imagine what they were doing...for another hour...They finally gave it back..said everything is in correct spec...Visit was a No charge...items that were on rear seat were now on floor...Could they have been inspecting my fuel pump...? Did they find any gas spillage? I'll never know...and haven't driven it enuf since to determine if MPG changed..
What kind of mileage were you getting that warranted a trip to the dealer? We have the same car and I just turned 5,500 miles. I consistently average 18 which is mostly city driving and I throw it in Sport Mode every once in a while.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Typically 16 mpg combined...Best I ever got was 17.7 [89 oct], and had to "drive for it" with concentration on keeping it in 4 cyl mode as long as possible, and hwy use was approx 80%...Rarely use sport mode..14 yrs ago, my wifes new car [monte carlo] increased 15 % when toe in was corrected...Dealer visit was just a wishful thinking idea...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would A 2010 model be affected by this? Good find and thank you for spreading awarness.

I'm skeptical to put my baby back in my car now.
From what I've seen yes. The first report I came across was a 2011. From what I can tell looking for a new pump it seems like about a 15 year span all uses the same pump. Also chargers and chrysler 300 are the same design.

Is very easy to check. The rear seat pulls up. May need to use a flat bar /pry bar for leverage to pull it up. Then you'll see like in the pictures the plastic cover is right there. You can pull it up by hand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of mileage were you getting that warranted a trip to the dealer? We have the same car and I just turned 5,500 miles. I consistently average 18 which is mostly city driving and I throw it in Sport Mode every once in a while.
I'm getting 13.5 but mostly all town driving. Very little highway and lots of hills in the north east. I see it plummet going up hills which I would think is the reason for the poor mileage. I have no idea how long it was leaking for as i only had the car since September. But I've only noticed the gas odor for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very curious how the car continues to run with this pump that you can clearly see has shorted in some manner at the plug. No codes displayed. No indications as to poor fuel supply or anything. And it is the left pump which is the main pump. The one on the right side is auxiliary. I still need to check that one. Maybe a Monday morning job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet. Didn't want to wait years for them to act on it as I needed it dealt with now before the car burned up or someone got hurt. I'll report it now that I know I'm safe. Thanks for the link.
Never know if you file maybe if they ever do recall then you could get reimbursed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
From what I've seen yes. The first report I came across was a 2011. From what I can tell looking for a new pump it seems like about a 15 year span all uses the same pump. Also chargers and chrysler 300 are the same design.

Is very easy to check. The rear seat pulls up. May need to use a flat bar /pry bar for leverage to pull it up. Then you'll see like in the pictures the plastic cover is right there. You can pull it up by hand.
A quick peek under the seat mine looks all dry but I never did remove the plastic cover to look under. I just removed the seat and it looks normal

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A quick peek under the seat mine looks all dry but I never did remove the plastic cover to look under. I just removed the seat and it looks normal
The gas won't get on top of the black plastic cover. It doesn't actually touch the top of the pump. But if you pulled up the seat and didn't smell gas then your probably okay. Have to pull up the black plastic to see for sure though.

Also the site for the plastic cover replacement is fuelconnectorfire.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it isn't the Pinto, or the Crown Vic . . . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had to replace mine you will only notice this problem when you get a full tank of gas. Seems to only happen to the passenger side slave pump.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Maybe this problem should fall under the EPA concerns...{If the Mfr doesn;t see the safety hazard}...? Isn't the leak same as a bad sealing gas cap...? Which causes me to wonder "Why doesn't it set a CEL...?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to me with my previous 2012 Charger RT awd. If I recall, car had about 50-60k miles on it...out of warrant and expensive repair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts