Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am driving 2008, dodge charger 3,5L. Recently, I have noticed a weird sound coming from the front of my car. When I am on a bumpy, cracked road, clunking sound comes for the front wheels, mostly from the left front. However, when I apply breaks, slightly, there is no sound. So I went to CAA(I live in Canada, Ontario) for an inspection. So, here is what inspection report says:
Frnt. Left Tension strut
Frnt. right upper ball joint has slight play
frnt. right tie rod leaking (This is still under warranty, I had it changed 6 month ago at their place, and it was under 1 year warranty)
and something else, but hard to understand his writing (seems like P/S rack leaking(minor))

So they say to fix this will cost me around 900-1000$
parts/labour:
qty | item # | Loc| Description | R/S | ST | Part | Labour |
1 | 2605522 | LtF | Control Arm Assembly | S | RO | 320$ | 92.70$ |
1 | ----------|RtF | RF Tension Strut | S | RO | 125$ | 120$ |

and then wheel alignment for 90$

all + taxes = 900-1000$$$

I am a student and my budget is very tight and I was wondering if that's what it cost? Or I can get parts and labour cheaper????

Any Ideas/comments would be more than welcome...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had the exact same report from 2 tire dealers. I also had the same problem. My solution was simply replacing my brake pads. The stock ones were loose and rattled. It was driving me nuts because every little bump would clank. Easy way to test it would be to remove the break pads, apply some brake quite and test it. If it works, simply replace your brake pads.

worked for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx a lot thelilmarine. I will certainly do this, hopefully over the weekends (busy during weekdays). Can you tell me more where and how to apply the brake quiet?

I had the exact same report from 2 tire dealers. I also had the same problem. My solution was simply replacing my brake pads. The stock ones were loose and rattled. It was driving me nuts because every little bump would clank. Easy way to test it would be to remove the break pads, apply some brake quite and test it. If it works, simply replace your brake pads.

worked for me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Changing your brakes is not going to relieve your problem. your tension struts and tie rods are shot. Only solution is to replace them.

Rockauto.com has great prices on the parts. Your bushing in your tension strut ripped so that's loose and makes the outer tie rod go bad. Replace them! Not only is the clunk annoying, it's dangerous! My tie rods were literally get ready to break apart at the knuckle. You can do this repair in a driveway. Need some wrenches, hammer, and just buy the ball joint separator. Once I get home from work, I'll take a picture of the one I bought and brand/part number. I screwed around with one side for 3 hours trying to knock the ball joint loose, did the other side, start to finish in 1 hour.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Get 2 or 3 quotes so you can compare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts