Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recently that i'm getting some vibration from the front end when I hit 70 or above. The steering wheels basically starts shaking. I had new wheels put on about a month or two ago, but they were balanced before being mounted. I also had eibach pro kit springs installed about three months ago. I didn't replace the struts, only the springs. I could feel that I need an alignment...i guess it's due to the springs now really being settled in. Could the need of an alignment be causing this? Do I need to get the wheels re-balanced again? Any other things I should have checked? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Id try the re-balancing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How bad is the vibration? Because I got new wheels maybe 2 months ago, and when I hit 60+ the wheels shakes ever so slightly, I can hardly notice. I don't think it's an alignment issue on mine becuase I just had to have the rack and pinion replaced and they had to realign it then, and I had the wheels on when they did that.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
May also be your tie rods, how many miles on your car? This is a common failure on the LX especially on lowered cars

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 75K on an 06'. I had the tie rods replaced about a year ago, and the R & P earlier this year. I'm hoping it's just a balancing issue. I have to get an alignment anyway, since I never got one after the drop. I'll probably get the wheels re-balanced when I get the alignment (Friday).
The shaking is definately noticeable, but not unbareable, and only happens when I hit 70+.

·
Registered
60 Posts
x2. Mine was shaking until I got the tires rebalanced. Now its smooth as ever.
X3... tire rebalance. Same thing just happened to me. Got new tires and then steering wheel shook over 70 mph. Took back in and they rebalanced, and good now.

They always take a couple tries at getting tire balancing right... it is almost like they try to use "the force" instead of the computerized equipment that they have for balancing tires these days!!! (apparently they do not have "the force" with them)

·
Registered
36 Posts
quick check..

rotate your tires. if it goes away or lessens, you are out of balance.

If it stays the same it could be something else.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
When you had the new wheels put on did you have the brass keepers on the rotor taken off? I had the same problem and when we removed those brass keepers, the vibration decreased. The keepers are there to hold the rotors on in the factory while building the car. I also added hub centric rings that decreased the vibration. Did you go 20" or above? Lastly, I had my wheels road forced balanced which futher reduced the vibration down to almost 0

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you had the new wheels put on did you have the brass keepers on the rotor taken off? I had the same problem and when we removed those brass keepers, the vibration decreased. The keepers are there to hold the rotors on in the factory while building the car. I also added hub centric rings that decreased the vibration. Did you go 20" or above? Lastly, I had my wheels road forced balanced which futher reduced the vibration down to almost 0
Yeah, I took those off a while back when I first upgraded my rotors to R1's. I went to 20 just a few months after I got the car...which was way back in 05. I don't remember ever having vibration like this. Maybe it's a combination of the new(er) wheels not being balanced correctly, in addition to the need of an alignment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I swaped my stock SE wheels to stock SRT8 and had the same problems. Then I noticed that I was having some clearence issues, so I purchased the wheels spacers, thinking that was going to solve the issue. ---but not--- so, i dismounted the wheel and noticed that there are two lock washers that help secure the lug bolts. The stock wheels had a small bevel that settle the wheel flushed against the rotor/lug-plate. With the other wheels and the spacers, the two small washers create a small gap that creates the steering wheel to shake at higher speed. What I did was, I grinded a small bevel on the spacer so it can be flush against the rotor. ---problem solved!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I swaped my stock SE wheels to stock SRT8 and had the same problems. Then I noticed that I was having some clearence issues, so I purchased the wheels spacers, thinking that was going to solve the issue. ---but not--- so, i dismounted the wheel and noticed that there are two lock washers that help secure the lug bolts. The stock wheels had a small bevel that settle the wheel flushed against the rotor/lug-plate. With the other wheels and the spacers, the two small washers create a small gap that creates the steering wheel to shake at higher speed. What I did was, I grinded a small bevel on the spacer so it can be flush against the rotor. ---problem solved!
Please monitor your lug nuts to ensure that they remain tight...Spacers tend to compromise the tightness of the lug nuts unless they included longer lug nuts. Also since you ground them, you may have sacrificed the integrity of them. We all just removed those washer like clips since they have no use outside of the dodge factory... Be safe bro!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm running on 245-45-20 on 20X9's. Come to think of it, the new wheels are 9", and the ones I had before are 8.5's. Could this have anything to do with it? I removed the lock washers when I first got the car, but never (seemed) had the need for spacers. Could this be my issue, or does it sound to you all like it's still just a re-balancing problem.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm running on 245-45-20 on 20X9's. Come to think of it, the new wheels are 9", and the ones I had before are 8.5's. Could this have anything to do with it? I removed the lock washers when I first got the car, but never (seemed) had the need for spacers. Could this be my issue, or does it sound to you all like it's still just a re-balancing problem.
I would definitely say re-balance. If you got them locally, it should be free. But the balancing machines only test up to about 35mph IIRC. So the shimmy may still be there.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I noticed recently that i'm getting some vibration from the front end when I hit 70 or above. The steering wheels basically starts shaking. I had new wheels put on about a month or two ago, but they were balanced before being mounted. I also had eibach pro kit springs installed about three months ago. I didn't replace the struts, only the springs. I could feel that I need an alignment...i guess it's due to the springs now really being settled in. Could the need of an alignment be causing this? Do I need to get the wheels re-balanced again? Any other things I should have checked? Thanks in advance for any input.
I had the same problem. I solved it by buying hub centric rings.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I checked all my local shops and none of them balance or align anything bigger than 18". I don't want to go back to the same people that originally balanced and mounted them for obvious reasons. Honestly, the closest place I found that would...is Sears Auto. Would you guys recommend me going there for a re-balancing and alignment?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Man, I sound like a broken record, but here goes.... Check that your lugs are properly torqued. Pretty sure it's 100 ft lbs. star pattern. Quickest, easiest thing to try first.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Man, I sound like a broken record, but here goes.... Check that your lugs are properly torqued. Pretty sure it's 100 ft lbs. star pattern. Quickest, easiest thing to try first.
Me too on this! On my first set of 20's I had I let a shop put them on and they vibrated like crazy through the steering wheel at 70 and above so I read check the torque and star tighten pattern! After I redone every rim at 100lbs. torque and star pattern no more vibration at all and that right there is why I like doing stuff myself if I can I almost went and paid for another re-balance and an alignment!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts