Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2020 Scat pack and I noticed that when I pull out of my garage and out into the street the front end bumper scapes the sound slightly.
I have to go super slow and on an angle for it to super light scrape but I hate it.

I remember a video I saw on YouTube where a guy put some kind of protector underneath the front bumper, do you guys know what that was and what do you guys do about this issue?

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Putting a protector (they do exist) will only make the bottom of the fascia lower. While yes, your gritty sandpaper grinding will happen on something more durable, it's going to happen more often, and it's going to put upward pressure on the fascia over and over and over again. If this was a matter of somewhere you go every once in a while, it might be worth considering. But your own driveway? That's something you should have fixed long-term. It'll be more expensive, but as with many things in life, doing things right is better than doing them cheap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a Audi S4 and it doesn't scrape. We have a 2019 Charger AWD and that sits high up so that doesn't scrape. The Durango was a truck so no scraping there. The first time I noticed any car scraping in my driveway was a Porsche 911Carrara 4 Turbo. I had to pull out really slow and on an angle. Sadly the Charger Scat pack is the same way.
I didn't think about the pressure of the protectors, I'm wondering what other people are experiencing with them? I'm sure someone in here might have done something.
I agree on the fixing the driveway but I'm not sure what can be done. I'll have to talk to a driveway guy. I need mine resurfaced anyway or at least sealed so maybe they can do something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Scat does the same thing. Yeah I hate it but nothing I can really do about it. I figured since it’s on the bottom and can’t be seen unless you get on the ground and look up. I just go really slow and at an angle.

2019 Charger R/T Scat Pack Plus

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Don't forget the issue of roadkill. Our other two vehicles are SUVs. No problem there with driveway ingress/egress, or roadkill. With the '14 R/T though, I learned quickly to enter steep drives at an angle, and roadkill should be driven around, not centered and gone over. More often than not, RK will thump/scrape unless I take the Charger around it.

Don

Reactions: watersupply189

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm in the same boat. If i try to go in my driveway straight foward, or even straight in reverse, I scrape. I ALWAYS have to go in at an angle, and at a snails pace.

One thing I've seen, which if you're concerned about looks won't be great, but a neighbor in my parents neighborhood has an about 8 inch by however long a 2 car driveway is rubber type strip just below his curb to get the car up without scraping. I think he has a Vette. Almost like gym mat material, that hard rubber that you see around gyms or hockey rinks. It's durable, does the job, but does kind of look goofy.

To repeat what someone else said, scrape armor works, but it actually makes your bumper cover lower to the ground.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Scat does the same thing. Yeah I hate it but nothing I can really do about it. I figured since it’s on the bottom and can’t be seen unless you get on the ground and look up. I just go really slow and at an angle.

2019 Charger R/T Scat Pack Plus
I made another thread on a product I found to help protect the front end. I hate the scraping it gives me chills . I only scraped 2 times now I pulled in super slow and on a angle and didn't scrape. It hasn't left the garage since.
We are on vacation in Napa Valley CA

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ScrapeArmor is one and it's high quality with a wear-out guarantee.

It is about 3/16" thick but isnt so thick it causes you to hit bottom anymore than you already do. Another member posted in another thread about a different brand.

Think about road kill. I ran over an Armadillo with scrape armor on and the bumper only sustained an slight crease with crinkled paint and was repaired. And the ScrapeArmor was in good shape and was reinstalled even though insurance covered replacement. Not replacing it covered the $500 insurance deductible.

And BTW the other damage sustained was a bent lower radiator support that damaged the bottom row on the radiator and A/C condenser that also houses a separate cooler for the transmission. Nothing leaked but both the radiator and condenser were replaced. All of that damage totaled $3800 and would have been much worse had the ScrapeArmor not taken the brunt of the punishment.

Reconsider road kill. As well as road debris like lumber and semi truck tires before blowing it off.

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I made another thread on a product I found to help protect the front end. I hate the scraping it gives me chills . I only scraped 2 times now I pulled in super slow and on a angle and didn't scrape. It hasn't left the garage since.
We are on vacation in Napa Valley CA
I scrape probably 3x a week, every week, over 5 years now, and I am careful. IMO, with these cars, it's unavoidable. Go to a car show and check underneath Vette's or Porsche's. They have it far worse lol.

Reactions: ONEZ ST and Mantis

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ScrapeArmor is one and it's high quality with a wear-out guarantee.

It is about 3/16" thick but isnt so thick it causes you to hit bottom anymore than you already do. Another member posted in another thread about a different brand.

Think about road kill. I ran over an Armadillo with scrape armor on and the bumper only sustained an slight crease with crinkled paint and was repaired. And the ScrapeArmor was in good shape and was reinstalled even though insurance covered replacement. Not replacing it covered the $500 insurance deductible.

And BTW the other damage sustained was a bent lower radiator support that damaged the bottom row on the radiator and A/C condenser that also houses a separate cooler for the transmission. Nothing leaked but both the radiator and condenser were replaced. All of that damage totaled $3800 and would have been much worse had the ScrapeArmor not taken the brunt of the punishment.

Reconsider road kill. As well as road debris like lumber and semi truck tires before blowing it off.
Thanks man, I'm gonna go check that out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check some parts stores or online for some edge guard trim type of stuff. It should be able to fit over the lip that's most prone to scraping and at least protect it from being scraped up.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Able to come in the driveway at an angle so it won’t scrape?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look into “Sliplo” skid plates.

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, it may not be the lower fascia all the time. Mine scrapes those air dams that direct air flow to the brakes. It's two little black pieces. If I pull in front facing, nothing, but backing in scrapes.
Yes, usually what's scrapping unless its real steep. They hang about 1 1/2' to 2 inches lower than anything else one on each side. I had one come right off from scraping.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts