Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone, long time no see.

Most recently I purchased new tires for my car and within a couple of days, the front end began to creak (best way to describe the sound). I initially took it to the local Dodge dealership I purchased my Charger from, I took it for a drive with a technician in the passenger seat, and we stopped the car in front of the dealership. He messed around with it, sprayed some lubricant behind the front driver side wheel, and came to the conclusion it was a driver side strut. I made an appointment to have the front struts replaced and went on.

I called a buddy of mine who does mechanical work as well as detail work on my car afterward and told him about my experience. He drove the car as well as looked at it and told me there was no way it was the strut, and proceeded to explain why. He told me the bushings on that side were dry and needed to be lubricated. He had me go to a local automotive store to purchase some lubricant (there wasn't much to choose from) and he proceeded to spray it all over the bushings behind the wheel. It got a little more quieter and considering I had to leave that night for Chicago, it sufficed for the time being.

Hold on now, my journey wasn't complete yet. After that I still was concerned about it, so I stopped at the Firestone I purchased my tires from and had them listen to it and look at it. Upon listening to the noise they agreed it wasn't a strut but instead theorized it was a ball joint that had run dry. They told me I was in no immediate danger and the noise was more of nuisance than anything. They told me if I allowed them to, they could poke a small hole in the rubber boot around the ball joint to try and spray some lubricant inside with hopes it would at least alleviate the noise temporarily. I allowed them to do this, and that night I left for Chicago.

Over the time I was in Chicago (I drove approximately 1,000 miles roundtrip), the noise did lessen and at times seemed non existent, but since my return from Chicago and over the last week or so, the noise is just as apparent now as it was then. I called my friend that told me it wasn't a strut and also told him that Firestone said it may be potentially a ball joint. He scoffed at this saying once again it was the bushings and how when he tried to lubricate them before he wasn't in the position to do it thoroughly enough because he didn't put the car up on the rack and take the tires off to relieve the pressure so they would be better exposed. He proceeded to tell me to find some lubricant that was specially designed for bushings and the 'A' Frame in general.

Whew! I know it was long winded, but what do you all think? I suppose I have nothing to lose by checking out what my friend suggested. At the very least it would be way less expensive. Also, does anyone have suggestions as to what kind (brand name, type, etc.) of lubricant I should look for (purchase)?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, here's an update. I went to Firestone and had them actually take a look at the situation in detail and they said it was the lower ball joints (driver and passenger side). So, I suppose I'll have to cross my fingers and take their word for it.

I'm pretty frustrated with the situation too due to the fact there was a HUGE price discrepancy between what their price was and the price my buddy who told me it was just the bushings that needed to be lubricated said he could could get them for. It was like they said they could get them for $100 and he said he could get them for $34. I was quite irritated between calling Firestone and then calling him, and back and forth. Bottom line was how I think everything was lost in translation regarding the part because Firestone said there was no way they could even get the part for that much and he said he just made a phone call and could get them for that much. Ugh....!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I replaced both tension struts with ball joints on 'em for $106 shipped to the door from Advanced auto parts using a $30 coupon. Labor was on me..LOL..

Griz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts