Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Questions:
- I was about to start installing my speakers (6.5" components in the front - tweeters to go in the front deck- and 6x9 3ways in the rear deck), head unit, amps, and subwoofer tube last weekend, but I postponed because of rain.

- Anyhow, with the little room that I had in my garage, I looked in through the existing front door speaker grille/face - and it seems that there are possibly 6x9's in the door - or something larger than a 6.5" speaker.

- Question #1: Does anyone know what size speaker somes stock, in the front doors ? - it may be different on the "SE" model that I have - which came with the basic 4 speaker setup (with the standard 6x9's in the rear deck). I looked on Crutchfield.com, and it shows 6.5" in the door.

- Also, when looking at the door panel, it looks like there might be a way to remove the panel, which covers the map "pocket", and also covers the speaker mount. Though, with some "light" prying, I was not able to remove that panel. - So, I moved to see how easy it would be to remove the lower panel (which also requires removing the upper panel because the overlap).
- Anyhow, I found all of the screws (in the door) to remove - then there are the plastic cylindrical inserts (Which have "center tap" plastic pins) which are also used to hold the door panel in place.
- As far as removing the cylindrical inserts, I was able to pull out the "center tap" pins (with great difficulty) and then remove the full cylndrical inserts. But, there was one that I could not get the pin pulled. So to me, it looks like the cylindrical inserts would just be broken and discarded during a dealer service to the doors - then they would replace them with new ones (which are probably a dime a dozen).
Question #2: Is there an easy way to remove the cylindrical inserts, in the door panels - or can I buy a bag of them for replacements (I plan to call the dealer later this week) ?

Thanks in advance,
Brian T.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well,
I answered my own question #2 - I called the dealer and got replacment "door tack cylinders" (for the trim). I Picked them up tonight.

So, as for question #1 - the speaker size - I answered that question as well - my "SE" has 6x9's in the doors (which seems odd).

Anyhow, this thread can be closed/ignored.

Brian T.

·
Registered
403 Posts
what in the hell are you talking about the cylinders in the doors? I have taken a lot of doors apart in my years and havent pulled mine off yet. What did chrylser put in there??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GoofyGuy said:
what in the hell are you talking about the cylinders in the doors? I have taken a lot of doors apart in my years and havent pulled mine off yet. What did chrylser put in there??

- sorry, I wasn't sure of the technical name for the fasteners that help hold the door panels into the metal door frame. These fasteners are in addition to the screws. I have also taken a lot of Door trims off in my years and installed many of car stereo systems, which is not much fun anymore :frown: .

Attached is a picture (I just drew in MSpaint) - Note: it's not exact.
NOTE: There's a total of 5 of the plastic "Cylinder" fasteners, which have "push pins/cylinders", which expand the plastic shaft, once inside the door. Similar to how a "Molly-screw" works.
See Attached Picture

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
BT1024 said:
NOTE: There's a total of 5 of the plastic "Cylinder" fasteners, which have "push pins/cylinders", which expand the plastic shaft, once inside the door. Similar to how a "Molly-screw" works.
See Attached Picture
Just for future reference: I found this post prior to breaking one of these trying to get it out. They are actually very easy to use. Just push the center pin IN with a small screwdriver. Then you can take out the whole "door tack cylinder". Prior to reinstalling, just press them against a table or something so that the pin is sticking out. Pop the cylinder into the hole and then push the pin in to secure.

In other words, there are three positions the pin can be in: Pushed in for removal, pulled out for installation, and in the middle to lock.

·
Registered
968 Posts
So lemme get this right BT, what you're saying is that the 6.5" speakers will not work in the front doors? Like you I looked on Crutchfield and from I took of it, there are 6.5" all the way around so I've got Focal 6.5" components on order. Also can you post pics as to where you'll be placing your tweeters..

Thanks for any info...

J.Major

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Major said:
So lemme get this right BT, what you're saying is that the 6.5" speakers will not work in the front doors? Like you I looked on Crutchfield and from I took of it, there are 6.5" all the way around so I've got Focal 6.5" components on order. Also can you post pics as to where you'll be placing your tweeters..

Thanks for any info...

J.Major

You can make a 6.5" fit in a 6x9" opening, you just need to make an adapter plate. I use a thin sheet of birch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts