Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I follow the maintenance recommendations in my owner's manual, I noticed my car was due to have the front and rear axle fluids changed for the first time. Due to my restraints in resources at home, I decided to have my local dealership perform this service.

The rear differential fluid was changed with no issue. I was told that nothing was done with the front axle fluid, though, because it is designed for "fill for life" and not manufactured with a fluid drain plug. The dealership supplied me with a printout from DealerConnect which backed up their claim relating to the "175MM FIA front axle assembly".

Has anyone else out there with all wheel drive Chargers experienced this issue? Is this "fill for life" true on all front axle assemblies? How could I identify which one I have?

I just found it strange that the owner's manual for my specific car says to change the front axle fluid when a service statement from the dealer says otherwise.

·
Vendor
10,338 Posts
The sad part of where we are these days is that they don't want you to change it because it then can be claimed that it is sealed for life and is a lower maintenance item that is claimed on the cost of ownership papers.
The manual is correct in that it should be changed. What has to happen is it needs to be replaced with 75w90 differential fluid.

From the service manual:

AXLE
FRONT AXLE
² 175MM FIA - MoparT Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-90

Obviously, with it being changed so infrequently, we would love to make you a QuantumBlue HP Competiton Formula 75w90 Tackified Gearlube for your differential in the front of your car.

We also make transfer case lubricants for you AWD as well. :bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sad part of where we are these days is that they don't want you to change it because it then can be claimed that it is sealed for life and is a lower maintenance item that is claimed on the cost of ownership papers.
The manual is correct in that it should be changed. What has to happen is it needs to be replaced with 75w90 differential fluid.

From the service manual:

AXLE
FRONT AXLE
² 175MM FIA - MoparT Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-90

Thank you for your response. The page you show here is the exact one that was supplied to me that they printed from DealerConnect.

My question is: If there is no drain plug, then how DO you change the front axle fluid?? I would think that you'd have a hard time getting it sucked out through the fill hole, and I wouldn't want to risk overfilling it because some of the old oil is left behind.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Since I follow the maintenance recommendations in my owner's manual, I noticed my car was due to have the front and rear axle fluids changed for the first time. Due to my restraints in resources at home, I decided to have my local dealership perform this service.

The rear differential fluid was changed with no issue. I was told that nothing was done with the front axle fluid, though, because it is designed for "fill for life" and not manufactured with a fluid drain plug. The dealership supplied me with a printout from DealerConnect which backed up their claim relating to the "175MM FIA front axle assembly".

Has anyone else out there with all wheel drive Chargers experienced this issue? Is this "fill for life" true on all front axle assemblies? How could I identify which one I have?

I just found it strange that the owner's manual for my specific car says to change the front axle fluid when a service statement from the dealer says otherwise.

DC,

If you PM me your vin I will send you a build sheet that tells you all the specific components you have on your vehicle. If no fluid change is recommended for the life of the vehicle it will still indicate the type of fluid that is required in the service manual, and shown in the posts above, as these units may need to repaired or replaced from time to time so the fluid requirements are listed.

As far as the post about not recommending fluid changes to lower the cost of ownership papers, never heard of such a thing. But then again that comes from someone trying to sell you something that you may not need.

I have a sealed unit in my Jeep Liberty that comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty, I hardly believe Chrysler is trying to save me money so they can pay for a powertrain repair later on down the road.

·
Vendor
10,338 Posts
DC,

If you PM me your vin I will send you a build sheet that tells you all the specific components you have on your vehicle. If no fluid change is recommended for the life of the vehicle it will still indicate the type of fluid that is required in the service manual, and shown in the posts above, as these units may need to repaired or replaced from time to time so the fluid requirements are listed.

As far as the post about not recommending fluid changes to lower the cost of ownership papers, never heard of such a thing. But then again that comes from someone trying to sell you something that you may not need.

I have a sealed unit in my Jeep Liberty that comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty, I hardly believe Chrysler is trying to save me money so they can pay for a powertrain repair later on down the road.
We have had several hundred AWD customers go ahead and replace the fluid in the front differential with our 75w90 HP Tackified Red with great results. Every one of them comment on how much smoother and quiet it makes the front end run. You simply have to make sure that the differential is HOT when you do it so that what is normally laying in the bottom when cold is now churned up. This way when you suck it out, the flecks and pieces come with it. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution! LOL. The differential....unlike the engine and trans.....has no filter!

On the price issue, it happens all the time. Manufacturers do things to keep the costs down for themselves and for you so the cost of ownership numbers they print on every EPA informational brochure is "accurate"

Total cost of ownership (TCO) is a financial estimate whose purpose is to help consumers and enterprise managers determine direct and indirect costs of a product or system.

This is the same reason that you have sealed for life front end components that can't be greased. Better to not have a grease zerk and not grease it than have a grease zerk and not grease it. Front end components will then last as least as long as the warranty. You then get to replace them and hopefully with ones that have a grease zerk and then proceed to grease them. This way they will last much longer!!

Remember that the aftermarket is here to make things that the OEMs might have made acceptable but not the best. Any OEM that will tell you that they make and use the best of everything in their vehicles is drinking their own cool-aid!

Looking forward to working with you!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had flud change as soon as i did started make a noise, old gress had no mettle, now sound like pineion barreing going out, what not taken in consideratstion is one huge point
changeing out fluded may be bigest mistake u make, now one can make arugement saying that over time gress dose get more fluded and easyer to run to replace it and no way to ack heat it up safely it might damage the barrings, the fine mettel that makes it black be look like as grafide, the probem we haveing is we dont know if noise is comeing from front wheel discontect or from the def its self but its effecking driveing u feel it drag then it stops much like bad rottor, but i taken it to two trsmission places no one place the sound bouth siad had get worse befor they find it .
now this be cover underwarnty but the dealership screw me he put wrong miles was added to car fax report now they clame some one reset the milage all becuase some one was to dag on lazy to put right numbers in . i never found honest dealer ship never found one in 30 new cars i had never found one that mess up, and by way why are not police cars has any prices to them, they value at same as a reg car when there what 10k in upgrades to them that just stock, more if u got the one gose 160, but no one ever talks about the breaks cost twice as much shock are twice as much fule pump and the extra wireing done just stock not talking mod, in fack none these upgrades ever hits, for any one see and why is that, a front breaks pads alone is 80.00 there few parts on these cars stock the programing is not even stock, sound prof glass,
rain breaking, list gose on and on and these cars supose been wire for any upgrades, wireing supose be inplace, now i love find out if some the sencors work in car like lain departure. i really like know how far they went with wireing is every thing a option, or just few things

1 - 6 of 6 Posts