Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad luck since the car came back from body shop 3 weeks ago. I had the hood repainted and front bumper cover replaced due to hood having cancer, nose with road rash also blended fenders. It didn't go well with body shop due to the fact they returned it to me with fish eyes and scratches all over it. I returned it to them and they fixed it to the best of their ability and I had to compound and polish to the point you see in the first three pics. Since the I curbed a rim, but had it repaired. Hit the front splitter in my garage and on a curb at the store, I removed it and bought a new one. I got everything back to perfect and low and behold I was driving on the highway yesterday and a vehicle on a flat bed side window flew off the car and shattered mid air and sprayed my entire car at 55 mph and destroyed my car. Five bottom pics are some of the damage done to vehicle. Windshield, headlights and front splitter were all new this year and damaged, paint damage is everywhere except trunk lid and rear bumper. I am waiting to see what insurance company will do to go after tow truck company but they say they are not responsible for what happens with a vehicle they are towing (I think BS). I am hoping whomever will cover everything will fix the doors that have small amounts of white spots on them where the glass hit them and not tell me they are minor. There is glass embedded in to the vehicle that how hard it hit it. I did have dash cam so I got the number of tow company now I have to wait and see what happens. I'm thinking this car is becoming bad luck and I should just park it. I needed to get this out none of my friends give a shit about cars so thanks for listening.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'm speechless! So sorry. This is something your insurance will need to advise on. Maybe they can recoup a claim by going after the tow company or owner of car being towed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't get a plate number from vehicle being towed just phone number on flat bed. I thought that is why they have to be fully insured. I really don't know how someone can't be held responsible god forbid if I was on a motorcycle wearing jeans and a t-shirt and small helmet and that hit me who would be held responsible then if I was dead. The first person I discussed this with at progressive said they will go after the tow truck company. The actual agent they assigned me to said they might not. At least it will only cost me my comprehensive deductible of $750 but I need to push like I said even the damage they might think as minor to get fixed. I at least have pictures and receipts of how it looked prior to this incident.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392
144 Posts
The tow company is absolutely responsible for the vehicle they are towing, regardless of what they say. It's just like the dump trucks that have the sticker on them saying they are not responsible for broken windshields. They just say that to discourage people from making a claim. It's true that they are not responsible for debris that the truck kicks up off the road, but if they are spilling their load, gravel for example, then they are at fault and responsible. The problem is proving it came off their truck, but it sounds like you have video so you have a solid case against them IMO.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you have had, car looks like you have treated it well. I have a Daytona in the same color. Good luck.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, have great video so I will see what happens in the weeks to come. Don't see any Jazz Blues on the road I think it the nicest color because sometimes it Blue sometimes looks Black and the metallic in it is amazing in the sun. Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would be furious... Hopefully you can get it fixed, sorry about your extremely bad luck.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Probably won't make you feel any better, but for comparison and going off of the pictures you posted, that's about what the front on my black 2013 looked like after 125,000 miles and 7 years of driving just from road rash. My entire bumper cover was all chipped up, several spots on the hood, fenders, and side view mirrors.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd be pissed, both about what happened, and with the insurance company. In your case, that tow truck is totally at fault, and should be billed accordingly. It is their responsibility to secure their load before moving and not your responsibility to avoid their stupidity when they don't.

My oldest Charger was a 2008 that had been all over the country due to various moves, travel across country to visit family, etc. Aside from the front bumper and a few stone chips, it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor when I traded it in 8 years later. I would have not been happy if something like that happened to an 8 year old vehicle let alone my newer Charger.

It's been a few years, but I had a guy in front of me kick up a rock that cracked my windshield instantly. Granted he came off a dirt road next to the highway I was on, and goes straight across an exit ramp dividing line we were passing, and onto the highway cutting me off in the process. When I called my insurance company (USAA) to get it fixed, they asked if I got his license plate number because they were going to bill him. I didn't have it of course, as it never occurred to me something like that would be covered, I was surprised to say the least.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope to here from them tomorrow, sent them pics and video. I will see what is covered and I may just end up in the end seeing what extra it will cost to paint entire vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Duane:
Sorry to hear you are having a double dose of the 2020 BS we are all choking on in one way or another this year.
I would absolutely file a police report with the department having jurisdiction over the area you were in at the time this nonsense happened. The fact that you have video may help them identify the responsible company/party. In Ohio where I live, this would result in a citation for insecure load to the driver/company. A good judge will order restitution from them, or their insurance. If it can be established that the driver was aware of the event, he/she may also be cited for causing property damage, and not stopping to identify themselves.

Re the $750 deductible, it's your insurance companies call on whether they go after the responsible party, but if they refuse, I would tell them they can eat that $750.That is what you pay them for, and they can and should recover it for you!

Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In NJ when not police are involved at incident, seeing I gunned it passed truck to make sure I didn't get hit with anything else. I have to fill out a self reporting crash form which having the camera I was able to get phone number off truck then google name and address and sent it on report to Progressive. I also have rear camera that picked him up braking and pulling over so he knew what happened. I really didn't think I had the damage I had but I could have got off next exit and found way back to him but it really didn't come to mind. (stupid on my part) With the information they have I think they will contact them and do their best to get the money because it only benefits them.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
How you chose to handle it is your call. While I am sure the driver had no ill intentions, the debris that struck your vehicle was under his care. IMO, it should be his companies insurance that foots the bill, and not yours. We all lose out as taxpayers, and insurance consumers, when the responsible party is not held accountable.

Don

·
Registered
69 Posts
No response from the other person and my insurance company can't get hold of them. Body shops don't even want to work on it because the amount of work that has to be done. Because of Covid insurance company won't send somebody out until work is started and I don't even know what there going to pay. The estimate I got today was $11000 Body shop thinks insurance company's gonna cut that in half. He told me to milk them for as much as I can and maybe we can get away with just sanding the doors down and polishing and no windshield and no headlights for now. To get the hood, nose, pillars including rear quarters and fenders right. Or just get the whole car wrapped and forget about it. I'm just so pissed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
What insurance company and state are you in?

Insurance companies usually have preferred body shops that perform a detailed appraisal of damage and forward the damage estimate to the adjuster for review and approval. Upon approval from you, the body shop starts repairs. Or, after the adjuster has reviewed and approved repairs you can go to a body shop of your choosing and make arrangements for repair if they agree to the insurance payout.

Its ultimately up to your insurer to recoup their loss by clawing money from the tow company and trying to recover your deductible.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have had Progressive for 12 years, and I can't complain about them one bit. Unfortunately I've had to deal with them twice since this Covid19 nonsense, once for a deer collision in March, and my wife was involved in a collision in June. Both time the vehicles were taken to different dealers, both times I had a vehicle ready to go, once a loaner, once a rental. The Progressive adjuster went to the dealership both times for the estimate, and everything went from there. In the past I also simply took my own photos and submitted them for the estimate and it was all handled that way.

If the body shops you went to didn't want to touch it, go elsewhere. That's their job, and in your instance it's a mess, but all relatively simple paint repair. Costly, yes, but labor intensive? No. You're not repairing mechanical parts or frame damage. My 2010 R/T sustained over $17,000 in hail damage over pretty much the entire car minus the front bumper cover and rear bumper cover. Every panel had to be replaced, or filled and sanded and then repainted. It took a month and a half being in the shop, then back 3 or 4 more times over the course of a year until everything was near perfect. It can be done. I don't see why a body shop wouldn't want to touch it, it's all paint repair and correction. Go to a shop that's going to be eager to restore your paint job and make you happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's about getting the car fixed mediocre or the way it was prior to the incident. We all know how that works with insurance companies. We did find out the insurance company for the tow company, no thanks to Progressive and will go after them. I have had Progressive for the same amount of time and no problems until now. An $11,000 estimate will turn out to be a payout of about $6000 and a job that will be done by cutting corners which I am trying to avoid as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts