Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got stock wheels and all season tires put on my Charger for the winter. I just noticed occassionally the tire pressure light comes on. I checked the pressure and all tires are at 44 PSI. What gives?

·
Premium Member
17,684 Posts
I just got stock wheels and all season tires put on my Charger for the winter. I just noticed occassionally the tire pressure light comes on. I checked the pressure and all tires are at 44 PSI. What gives?
Pressure's too high?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I just looked at the tires and they said 44. I'll deflate to about 40 or 42.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Ok, I just looked at the tires and they said 44. I'll deflate to about 40 or 42.
Why? They should be more like 32psi or maybe a skosh more if you want a firmer ride. 40+psi is way too much. The 44psi stamped on the tire is the MAXIMUM cold tire pressure as determined by the tire manufacturer. That doesn't mean it's recommended for your car. When in doubt, open up the owner's manual and look.

Best,

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, use the pressure on the door jamb. And that pressure is a cold presure, meaning it should read that after sitting all night.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
actually if you re look at the tire it doesnt say use 44 psi. It says max cold 44 psi. That is nothing but max recommended by the tire manufactur, nothing else. Do what door jamb says or experiment with what you like. The tpms will not activate due to overinflation. You probably have a sensor taking a poop.
As you increase tire pressure you will get a little better gas mileage but loose stability with the car too. Its a fun game to experiement. I do alignments daily and i personally run 40 in mine. Stability is almost unchanged from 32 get about 2 mpg better, and i'm not wearing the shoulders of the tires like all the lx's i see every day. they are wearing nice and evenly. Of course i check my tire pressures weekly , align every 6 months, and balance/rotate every 10k which few people do.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Glad I have this messageboard to get help when i need it.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
actually if you re look at the tire it doesnt say use 44 psi. It says max cold 44 psi. That is nothing but max recommended by the tire manufactur, nothing else. Do what door jamb says or experiment with what you like. The tpms will not activate due to overinflation. You probably have a sensor taking a poop.
As you increase tire pressure you will get a little better gas mileage but loose stability with the car too. Its a fun game to experiement. I do alignments daily and i personally run 40 in mine. Stability is almost unchanged from 32 get about 2 mpg better, and i'm not wearing the shoulders of the tires like all the lx's i see every day. they are wearing nice and evenly. Of course i check my tire pressures weekly , align every 6 months, and balance/rotate every 10k which few people do.
Which tires are you running? I settled on 37psi on my Goodyear Assurance tires w/stock rims. Any more and I felt like I was losing a little contact area and getting slightly less grip.

Best,

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dealership said the stock wheels that i bought [for winter use only] do not have the sensor hookup so the light will come on no matter what i do.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Dealership said the stock wheels that i bought [for winter use only] do not have the sensor hookup so the light will come on no matter what i do.
You can install new ones but they're not cheap, about $30 each.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.