Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the order of Frank Cam's from least aggressive to most aggressive?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cam Spec's and Considerations

Sidewinder - (5.7) We consider it the best all around street cam. Small lifts and small duration ensure good torque from idle to mid-range and it idles fairly calm and won't turn your luxo-family-mobile into a dragster. Reports have been that gas milage INCREASES and your car will spend MORE time in MDS mode. We recommend using the Super Chips to tune this one out but all your possiblities are listed.

MDS Friendly - YES
Tuning Considerations - Jet Chip II, Super Chips, B&G, SMT6, Mopar PCM, PSC II, and ARC I
Specs - 212/212, 526/526, 114 LSA

Patriot - (5.7 - 6.1) This is the next step up from the Sidewinder and is a drop in cam for the 6.1 motor. Good sized lifts and small duration ensure good torque from idle to mid-range and it idles fairly calm and won't turn your luxo-family-mobile into a dragster. Reports have been that gas milage will increase.

MDS Friendly - Unknown
Tuning Considerations - 6.1 - Stock PCM / 5.7 - Unknown
Specs - 212/212, 547/547, 114 LSA

Hellfire - (5.7 - 6.1) Small lifts with healthy durations make this a solid midranger performer that should work w/ MDS. This thing will let people know you have a cam because its fairly lopey and even more so in a 5.7 while in a 6.1 its not so bad. Does very well with power adders such as turbos, blowers, and nitrous.

MDS Friendly - YES
Tuning Considerations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII (*Note - tuning the 5.7 will be more of a task while the 6.1 isn't bad at all)
Specs - 216/220, 528/531, 114 LSA

Tomahawk - (5.7 - 6.1) Reverse Split durations with very custom lobes that literally pulls from idle to beyond your capabilities in a 6.1 expect it to take off about @ 2500 on a smaller 5.7. This cam should increase gas milage but no where near the Sidewinder and while it can be tuned out, its still not as easy to work with as the Sidewinder. Possibly the best all around cam in regards to power, capability, yet not too rowdy.

MDS Friendly - YES
Tuning Considerations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII
Specs - 218/212, 557/547, 113 AND 112 LSA'S

Littleboy - Ultimate cam for power adders due to leaning towards the exhaust lobe. The Littleboy has higher lifts with managable durations and an overlap that's computer friendly and will allow your power adder to build cyl-pressure. Even in N/A trim, the Littleboy is a true contender and pulls from 3000 - 6500 and has been show cased in some very fast cars in both 5.7 and 6.1 trim.

MDS Friendly - Not even close
TUning Considerations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII (idles about the same as a Tomahawk)
Specs - 214/218, 565/555 114 LSA'S

Fatman - The largest cam available and a real power booster for large displacement motors 400+ cubic inch. Idles fairly calm for its large size and could use a little more RPM as tuning capabilities catch up. It has large lifts and good sized durations yet isn't a bear to tune.......also leans toward the exhaust lobe specificly for power adders.

MDS Friendly - Not even close
Tuning Consdierations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII
Specs - 218/218, 571/555, 114LSA

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
and i believe all of which require 6.1 pushrods, valve springs, and upgraded retainers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The FRI guys will sell you a kit which comes w/ all the extra parts you'll need for any application. For me w/ the Sidewinder cam only upgrade, they sent 6.1L springs, 6.1L rods and a new crank bolt. Kept stock retainers.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sticky forsure! great info guys...thanks so much!

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I am thinkin I need a Tomahawk..... and some new heads..... and JBA shorties......and then when my Diablo gets here all hell is gonna break loose in Vegas

·
Registered
223 Posts
These cams seem a little mild. In the LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7/LSX world,

228/232 0.600/0.600 112 LSA is considered a good small/midrange cam. The real beast is the HPE Megadeath Cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de80hB_-AxU

·
Registered
29 Posts
this thread would be even better if there were links to sound clips of each cam

·
Registered
829 Posts
These cams seem a little mild. In the LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7/LSX world,

228/232 0.600/0.600 112 LSA is considered a good small/midrange cam. The real beast is the HPE Megadeath Cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de80hB_-AxU
Remember, we're not as fortunate as you GM guys. We haven't had access to true tuning options, so extremely aggressive cams and semi-stock tunes don't mix well. Also, many of us (like myself) want to maintain our MDS, so we need to select smaller lift cams. Your GTO sounds like it hauls total butt but I bet you don't get an average of 22 mpg while still driving the snot out of it...

That megadeath cam is a friggin beast!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
I am thinkin I need a Tomahawk..... and some new heads..... and JBA shorties......and then when my Diablo gets here all hell is gonna break loose in Vegas

you know better, that damn thing is imaginary. It was just a ploy to get us all amped up, it doesnt exsist. Only vendors get them.The rest of us arent important enough. Its like an xbox 720.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
man i really want to know what the real MPG increase is on these things. i dont see how a more aggressive cam can use less gasoline. someone whos got one of those cam's has gotta post some hwy mpg numbers

·
Registered
829 Posts
man i really want to know what the real MPG increase is on these things. i dont see how a more aggressive cam can use less gasoline. someone whos got one of those cam's has gotta post some hwy mpg numbers
I drive on the highway everyday back and forth to work about 110 miles / day. I hate to give any feedback yet on the cam upgrade impact on mpg b/c it's been a bit inconsistent while the computer learns the cam. However, so far I can say that mpg has stayed the same as before. I get an average of about 21.5 mpg before/after the cam install. I hear others claiming a 2-3mpg increase w/ the cam but I haven't seen that yet. It's possible that it may improve over time but as of now, I'd say it's no different.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I drive on the highway everyday back and forth to work about 110 miles / day. I hate to give any feedback yet on the cam upgrade impact on mpg b/c it's been a bit inconsistent while the computer learns the cam. However, so far I can say that mpg has stayed the same as before. I get an average of about 21.5 mpg before/after the cam install. I hear others claiming a 2-3mpg increase w/ the cam but I haven't seen that yet. It's possible that it may improve over time but as of now, I'd say it's no different.
thanks for the feedback. thats still really good though, maintaining the same mpg and having so much extra power. i'm really starting to like this cam idea

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have a 216-222 .550/.550 112 lsa cam in my truck and i still get 17 mpg going 70+ also crusing doing 55 i can get 19-20 in m 4x4, ported heads increase milage thats proven for at least 2-3, my buddy with the same truck and 4;56 gears gets 20 doing 70

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
It may get quite a bit better as you romp on it less! lol
I know that once you do a perf mod you just cant help but kick the snot out of the go stick....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts