Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the story...i went to my local dealership's service center because i found that my engine cover was not on right and was rubbing against something causing the plastic to burn and create a terrible odor. So when i go to the service guy with my paper with the VIN he punches it in the computer and says oh so your back again huh? meanwhile i just bought the car last saturday with 4000 miles on it and to add to that about 50 miles away from my house at a Toyota dealership(it was used as a trade in for a Tundra). So the guy at the service shop says yeah the car has history here last time it was here was at 12,000 miles for a scheduled maintenance. So the service guy tells me to leave my number and he will call me if he finds anymore info on the car and that nothing can be done to the car because the warranty has been voided due to a lower odometer reading than the last time it was there for service. I then go home and go to carfax.com and it shows the last recored mileage at 15,365 on 8/31/07 meanwhile the carfax i got at the dealership where i purchased the car had shown 3,821. At this point what should i do? This is a first to me and i am very very upset and any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ok so here is the story...i went to my local dealership's service center because i found that my engine cover was not on right and was rubbing against something causing the plastic to burn and create a terrible odor. So when i go to the service guy with my paper with the VIN he punches it in the computer and says oh so your back again huh? meanwhile i just bought the car last saturday with 4000 miles on it and to add to that about 50 miles away from my house at a Toyota dealership(it was used as a trade in for a Tundra). So the guy at the service shop says yeah the car has history here last time it was here was at 12,000 miles for a scheduled maintenance. So the service guy tells me to leave my number and he will call me if he finds anymore info on the car and that nothing can be done to the car because the warranty has been voided due to a lower odometer reading than the last time it was there for service. I then go home and go to carfax.com and it shows the last recored mileage at 15,365 on 8/31/07 meanwhile the carfax i got at the dealership where i purchased the car had shown 3,821. At this point what should i do? This is a first to me and i am very very upset and any help would be greatly appriciated.
Sorry to hear man, I believe you should contact consumer bureau or something. So they can tell you what your next move is, or maybe contact chrysler and tell them what happened? Other will chime in soon I guess. I suspected the same with mine......but everything checked out.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Go to your dealership where you bought it, come up to the salesman that sold it to you, slap him in the face with a glove and challenge him to a duel.

But seriously thats some BS and I would be back at that dealership right away asking questions.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This sounds like the makings of a good lawsuit for you (if you can consider it "good"). There may be an "upgrade" in your future. Hang in there, and go get 'em!

·
Registered
546 Posts
first step stay calm. dealership mileage is the last mileage you should used as fact. if it has not been too long you can ask the service advisor (if he is cool.) to pull out the repair order history and ask him to check what are the written miles on it. some dealerships go by what customers tell them, some go by what the service writer goes and gets, and some have the tech hand write it on the r.o. (repair order).

to roll the miles back on this particular vehicle requires almost a act of congress, a star scan, and in some cases a new cluster.

how is the tire wear, check the oil filter, how is the air filter, how are the carpets, etc?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Fairly sure you can sue over a mis represented sale.
Yeah I definitely would look into this. I just hope you saved the Carfax the dealer gave you for evidence that you were misled in the sale. That really sucks though man, sorry to hear bout ur story. A difference in 15,000 and some change to a supposed 4000 may obly be an 11,000 mile difference, but when its 4,000 (practically a brand new car) to 15,000 (a car with over a year's worth of driving on her, thats a big deal and I wouldnt sit quietly about it. You'd better believe that that dealership would be at my mercy! Best of luck to you, keep us posted as to how it unfolds. Id like to see what they do to make things right.

-Pat

·
Registered
135 Posts
But seriously thats some BS and I would be back at that dealership right away asking questions.
I would actually get all the info and talk to all the right people (Lawyers) before you go near that dealer. Go in with a plan.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you have not cleared Trip odo A and B since you got the car, they may still be showing more miles than the Odometer, then you have proof!!
Cause is not possible for the trips to ever have more miles than the Odomer in normal use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the VIN on the door and the windshield and make sure they match the one on your papers.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would drive down there and ask for the general manager at the dealership you purchased the car from. Explain that you have a carfax report showing the car actualy has over 15k miles on it and also a dodge dealership shows that car is indeed at least over 12k. I would demand an explanation of the phony car fax report they gave you and ask how the odometer was rolled back. I then would explain to him that you will be back in to drop the car off and expect your car in return (if you traded one in) as well as any monies you paid for the car.

If they give you any issue whatsoever I would explain that you will go to the better buisness bureo as well as any local newspaper/tv news people to see if they were willing to do a buyer beware piece explaining how you had this happen and how others can avoid it from happening to them.

I'm sure the GM will get things taken care of. No matter what you do not want this car, who knows what else has been done....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Sounds to me like the clusters were changed. Your mileage is stored in both your cluster and another car computer. Have the cars computer checked. I bet it shows the higher mileage. Now you need to check for the cluster swap or an accident or something. Man, what a mess! :confused:

Oh! And check your VIN on everything you have and at the dealership on the computer once they plug it in. Maybe there is a mistake there. Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
return the car to the dealer and get your money back

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If the dealership you bought the car from has any kind of a reputation at all, they will gladly buy the car back and put you back to where you were before you walked in the door. The last thing they want is to be accused of odometer fraud. They are probably innocent, taking the customer's word for the mileage. It's not likely they would run a CarFax on a 4000 mile car unless they suspected something was amiss.

Go directly to the GM of the dealership and deal with him. I'd be willing to bet they don't give you a hassle. But if they do, then it's time to go to the BBB, etc. Give the dealer a chance first, though.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Tell them you want an '08 Super Bee straight up, or you're gonna sing like a Canary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
They will gladly do anything you want. Odometer fraud is serious stuff. The Carfax and Dodge service records are a slam dunk. If you like the car, consider having them refund you some money to cover the mileage difference and the aggravation.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is illegal to tamper with the original miles on a vehicle in any way shape or form (when selling it to another party).

Like everyone else has stated, follow the paper trail and see where it leads you.

It seems another HUGE issue is that they voided your warranty? You need to make sure that you don't get screwed with that.

I think that the biggest worry that you need to fix first and foremost is that these guys might say that the vehicle had 15xxx miles when you drove it off the lot and that they are not responcible for what YOU may have done to you car once you took possesion of it.

Hopefully it's all a mistake, but try getting all of your ducks in a row, then tkae the problem up with the highest positioned person available there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
get rid of the car.... period.... you'll like another charger thats not all jacked up even more than this one

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
First, you need to try to determine for certain the dealership pulled a fast one - and that's tough proof. But, you have a carfax report (and should have the bill of sale and title transfer that shows the mileage when you purchased the car).
I would think the title is the most definitive document, as the seller has to sign and swear to it authenticity and accuracy of the odometer reading.

I would go for a replacement car with 4,000 miles on it, they present you with a list of cars you'd like and you choose which one. Any option upgrades are complementary. Preferably one from another dealership. Your dealership also gives you the longest, best extended warranty ever heard of, with apologies.

I would play absolute hardball, once you know you're right. Legal action, the news media, or both. It should be made clear that hell on earth will befall the entire dealership should they not play extremely nice with you.

It would be a bad idea to seek the opinion of professionals in the matter, but personally I think they're just in it to make money too. I'd feel comfortable on my own and see how far I could get, first.

But whatever you do, obtain and secure all evidence FIRST (like other said, coax a service rep to print you a service history, etc.). Never, never, NEVER, hand over the original and/or your only copy of ANYTHING. This is a big deal, and what's another crime on top of it? You will not be able to prove a thing in the shredder basket.

Finally, proceed in writing. Anything promised is fine, but it needs to be followed up in writing.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Go to your favorite attorney, don't go to the dealership, don't go to the general manager, GO TO YOUR ATTORNEY.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts