Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the Magnaflow (11385) installed on my 3.5 and I am overall pretty happy with it. One thing I noticed is that around 2500 to 3000 RPM's, there is a pretty bad drone in the cabin area when the windows are closed (especially when the car is under load). When they're open, it's not as bad but we are getting into winter so my windows are going to be closed alot. After your exhaust has 'settled in', have you noticed that depleting at all? I am afraid with the current setup, my wife is not going to be extremely fond of it and I will have to go back to the stock and I am looking for a 'ray of hope' to keep it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to say I have dual magnaflows also and have had them for about 2 months now and the drone is still there. Luckily for me I am a young 25 yr old with no problems with the drone because my music is usually drowning it out.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I just had the Magnaflow (11385) installed on my 3.5 and I am overall pretty happy with it. One thing I noticed is that around 2500 to 3000 RPM's, there is a pretty bad drone in the cabin area when the windows are closed (especially when the car is under load). When they're open, it's not as bad but we are getting into winter so my windows are going to be closed alot. After your exhaust has 'settled in', have you noticed that depleting at all? I am afraid with the current setup, my wife is not going to be extremely fond of it and I will have to go back to the stock and I am looking for a 'ray of hope' to keep it.

Thanks.
is the muffler the ONLY sound absorbing piece you have on the exhaust? no resonators, mufflers near the tips?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the muffler the ONLY sound absorbing piece you have on the exhaust? no resonators, mufflers near the tips?
I just ended up doing the same set up as BigFuzz...one Magnaflow muffler and tips.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You could always find someone with the stock RT resonators they took off of their car if you find the drone too bearable. It may not completely kill it but it may make it to more of your liking.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove it around a little more today and I guess I should reclassify that it is not what I would consider a 'drone' but sounds much worse. When the RPM's get to about 2500, it's loud enough inside the cabin (even with the windows down) that it actually feels like my ear drums are beating and I actually have to cringe a little until I get past it. It was bad enough that I was almost embarrassed to drive my car today b/c if it was that loud inside, I could only imagine what it was like outside.

I am going to head back to Midas on Monday and have them test drive it to see if they have any suggestions (they did the install for me today). If they can't figure it out, I'm going back to stock b/c I can't drive my car like this.

Depending on how it goes Monday, I may have a Magnaflo muffler and tips for sale Monday night.

I am so bummed...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the dual magnaflow cat-back system and I love it. Yes its a lot more $$$ than going to the muffler shop and having one magnaflow muffler welded on but now with you having to replace it that means more $$$. I first went with a flowmasters custom set up till I got my catback and it was terribly loud so I feel for you dude. Just take your time and do some homework on what your next move is going to be. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I just ended up doing the same set up as BigFuzz...one Magnaflow muffler and tips.
reason i ask, is because the stock setup is the "suitcase" then a muffler near the end. keep in mind, dodge/chrysler designed things for a reason.

i see quite a few exhausts that are one muffler by the tanks and then pipe, then the outlet tips.

by doing that, you eliminate the secondary sound absorbing piece, that last muffler. a resonated tip isnt gonna suffice much cause...well think about it brah... its small in comparison to the muffler its replacing.

instead of using stock RT resonators, which takes you back to more restrictive and velocity slowing (larger pipe) setup. why not just add in a free flowing magnaflow resonator?

drone, or any unwanted noise (high pitches on sport compacts, i'm sure everyone has heard) can usually be eliminated by a straight through resonator.

not sure if you were going for performance, sound, or both, but if performance is your key, the easiest way to do so, would be to replicate the stock setup with straight through free flow parts.:)

just remember though, the rt parts... they're still called stock for a reason.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am kind of worried about reading your review on this system.

I am basically going to install the same setup next week, the only difference is that i got magnaflow resonated tips 35173, hope they keep the drone to a bearable level...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am kind of worried about reading your review on this system.

I am basically going to install the same setup next week, the only difference is that i got magnaflow resonated tips 35173, hope they keep the drone to a bearable level...
After reading more of the posts in BigFuzz's original post, I wonder how much of it is the install. At this point, I'm not really sure. After driving my car over the weekend, I have decided to go back to stock for the time being. I just want to be able to drive my car without cringing. Maybe down the road, I will pick up the dual cat-back system as a tax return present to myself.

Anyway, thanks for all of the comments and suggestions and if anyone is interested, I am going to be putting a for sale post for the muffler and tips. I only plan on selling it for what I paid (154.00) and I will take care of the shipping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 2.7L v6 and I absolutely love it! Loud enough but no where near as loud as the flowmaster. I am young 22 years old but I dont want some annoying sound, I recommend taking a look at getting the install redone cuz I love my setup and it only cost me 390$ =))

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
I drove it around a little more today and I guess I should reclassify that it is not what I would consider a 'drone' but sounds much worse. When the RPM's get to about 2500, it's loud enough inside the cabin (even with the windows down) that it actually feels like my ear drums are beating and I actually have to cringe a little until I get past it. It was bad enough that I was almost embarrassed to drive my car today b/c if it was that loud inside, I could only imagine what it was like outside.

I am going to head back to Midas on Monday and have them test drive it to see if they have any suggestions (they did the install for me today). If they can't figure it out, I'm going back to stock b/c I can't drive my car like this.

Depending on how it goes Monday, I may have a Magnaflo muffler and tips for sale Monday night.

I am so bummed...
Hey dubya, This sounds a lot like the problem I had with my R/T exhaust when it was first installed... that turned out to be a leak in the system right up front! I was basically running straight-pipes! Once they got the gap fixed so there were no leaks, it sounded nice and quiet! Get yours checked for leaks before you give up on it!

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you read through the whole thread I'm sure you're familiar with my experiences with this system... a year later I'm quite happy, though down the line I'm still interested in adding aftermarket resonators or dynamat in the trunk, mostly for back seat passengers as that seems to be where the drone is worst (and particuarly when the car is under load with all those passengers -- heck one passenger is enough to change my car's performance).

I'd agree that install can mean the difference between tolerable and intolerable though.

And as far as the sound outside my car, it couldn't sound any better, that much is certain.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have this setup and you get used to it after a while. And i have heard worse.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have this setup and you get used to it after a while. And i have heard worse.
I just couldn't handle it anymore...maybe it's b/c I am getting older (j/k). The moment my son said, 'daddy, my ears hurt', I had to do away with it b/c it's my daily driver. I will just run stock for the time being and maybe down the road, I will invest in a full cat-back system that way I know (at least as much as one can know) there are not going to be any issues with the sound or install.

I have been told by a few other V6'ers that my 'stock' sounds better than stock but I'm not sure why that is (all I have is an Airaid CAI).

Anyway, I am not knocking the setup you all have (they sound great), just the setup I ended up with.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just couldn't handle it anymore...maybe it's b/c I am getting older (j/k). The moment my son said, 'daddy, my ears hurt', I had to do away with it b/c it's my daily driver. I will just run stock for the time being and maybe down the road, I will invest in a full cat-back system that way I know (at least as much as one can know) there are not going to be any issues with the sound or install.

I have been told by a few other V6'ers that my 'stock' sounds better than stock but I'm not sure why that is (all I have is an Airaid CAI).

Anyway, I am not knocking the setup you all have (they sound great), just the setup I ended up with.
You may want to take a look at my setup, i also installed the bigfuzz´s magnaflow cat back and was to loud for me as well so i just added two resonators at the end and this completely solved the problem.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62137

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may want to take a look at my setup, i also installed the bigfuzz´s magnaflow cat back and was to loud for me as well so i just added two resonators at the end and this completely solved the problem.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62137
I saw that, I still have the muffler and tips from his original setup so I may invest in those resos as well. The place I bought the original muffler and tips has those 11375's you used for about 60.00 each. I am working on paying off a couple of Christmas bills so maybe I will invest part of my tax refund into giving it another go 'round.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i have the same set up. everyone loves it. not to loud and not to low. it had to be the install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts