Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck did you run your switch wires into the cabin?

Someone said they removed the shifter cover plate and ran it up in there into the shifter housing, and then out and into the dash or center console somewhere.. That seems a bit danger, considering all the moving parts in there..

So where did you guys run the wire? Did anyone just drill a small hole in the floorpan and run it under the carpet (and then seal up the hole)??

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
There are plugs all thru the floor plan. You wont even have to drill a hole. I am thinking of running the wires for my cutouts today, and if I do I'll try to get some decent pics.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. I would appreciate it.

I figure the muffler shop will be like "forget it" if I asked them to do it - so hopefully it is not too much work to get under there and wire them up. I know I will need some taller jack stands than I have now, though. :)

Also, is anyone having issues with exhaust hitting the underside of the car sheetmetal? I think the heat shield will block SOME, but I'm worried about excess heat under about 1/2 of the carlength.. I saw someone's heat shield was already worn through 1-ply. That really scares me. I was planning to leave the cutouts open most of the time, or at least partially open..

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
which cutouts do you have? I have the DMH low profile. there is a GREAT place to mount. If you've been under the car, imagine the cat pipes coming down from the manifold. When they reach their lowest point they make an in board turn at about a 45 degree angle. Right at the bend is the perfect mount for the low profiles, and there is a body plug right there. Now, depending on where you are mounting the switch (Center console right behind the cup holder for me) you will need to remove the front seats to lift the carpet and run the wires underneath. Remove center console, and install switch. If you dont smoke you can tap off of the cigarette lighter for power. You can also tap the aux power in the center console.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning to get the dual low-profiles in 3" from DMH. And I plan to mount them where you mention, although do I need that extra Y pipe that DMH offers, or should I have the exhaust shop make their own?

Reason being, if the exhaust pipe is coming like this:

|
\

then do I mount it like this:

|
|\
c ex (c for cutout, ex for factory exhaust)

If so, the y pipe DMH provides would seem backwards - you'd want the e-cutout on the other flange, no?

Maybe I'm overthinking this and the muffler shop will just know how to do it right.. :D

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
The low profile is designed to mount right onto the exhaust pipe. There is no need for a Y pipe. One side has a downturn on it. That is the exhaust side. The in port has a cut that conforms to the pipe in diameter and size. Just cut the hole in the exhaust pipe, place cut out on the pipe, and weld in place. The motor side of the cutout points outboard, right at a body plug located 3 inches away.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Reason being, if the exhaust pipe is coming like this:

|
\

then do I mount it like this:

|
|\
I thought you were drawing your avatar, piece by piece LOL

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Pointeo, thats a GREAT mounting place for the switch! If I didnt have heated seats I'd use it. Instead I have to go with the little flat stop aft and between the cup holders.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I go in on Monday to have mine welded in. I could do it myself, but to chicken. I routed my wires thru a grommet next to the brake boost. one wire over the trany and under the heat shield, alum tape to hold wire in place. other wire down and under the heat shield with alum tape. the switch will be going next to the hood release handle.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exactly does this mean:

§ 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall
be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that
continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or
similar device on a motor vehicle.
???

Does that mean you can't have it, or you will get a ticket if you do? Or you will have to remove them if you do? I mean, LITERALLY, it says "use" which implies if I am not USING the cut-out, then it is OK if it is present, just not in use. Correct???

:(

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have heard them on a 300 closed and opened. when they are closed you would not know they are there.
I will be using them only when at the track.
I have know idea what your quote means.
maybe someone else can answer.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
What exactly does this mean:

???

Does that mean you can't have it, or you will get a ticket if you do? Or you will have to remove them if you do? I mean, LITERALLY, it says "use" which implies if I am not USING the cut-out, then it is OK if it is present, just not in use. Correct???

:(
it means your fine as long as u dont get caught kinda like.....O ya everthing we do to our cars. here in cali if its not stock its not legal

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
It means cutouts are illegal. If the LEO's hear a roaring monster cruising around and zero in on you, you better get that thing closed.
You could drive a quarter open. It will sound very awesome, but not ridiculously so. Full open at WOT will make little girls wet their pants.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well, I'm going to make an attempt to weld my cutouts in myself. I figured I could save $200 to $500. wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
well, I'm going to make an attempt to weld my cutouts in myself. I figured I could save $200 to $500. wish me luck.
Dont bother. I took mine to a local shop and they charged me fifty bucks to weld em both in. All they did was cut a proper sized hole and welded them over each hole and they hit me for 50, but Ive heard from others that theyve paid 100, so I tipped the guy 10 too because he did a nice job. So 60 bucks altogether and I did the wiring myself. I chose to put the switch on the dash just to the right of the trunk pop... still looks real clean and factory-like, but the sound from them open is anything but! Muahahahaha!

On another note, I only drive with them completely closed or completely open. Having them partially opened does not sound good at all to me, not what I expected. SRTs seem to have a different sound, but as for me, its either open or closed. And yes, TBY is absolutely right: at WOT with the cutouts open, small children will start to cry and wet their pants, simply put.

-Pat

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm all wired in with the switch by the truck button. 50 bucks is 50 bucks. that beer money for a month. It's raining out and I'm bored. then I have the bragging rights that I did it myself. and if it looks good maybe others might ask me to do the same and thats more money in my pocket.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Madmanadam, where you located? :D

I agree - you'd get some mad props and respect if you did it yourself - although how do you expect to cut a hole in the existing exhaust? You got a plasma cutter sitting around collecting dust?? :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts