Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
If I only knew it would be so easy to get under his skin I would have left mine on.

So his solution is make them purple instead of yellow. I guess he is inferring purple is putrid and people will remove the splitter guards.

I doubt anyone that currently has them on will remove them no matter what color they are. Well, maybe hot pink would make a few reconsider.

·
Super Moderator
11,466 Posts
It does ruin the look of the car to leave them on IMHO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think people do it initially as it was different but now that many people are doing it, it has become a fad. I think he has a good point that it breaks up the nice paint colors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm wondering why the dealers aren't taking them off at delivery, just like all the other protective items.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Mark Trostle says future protectors will be purple, let's see how they like that!

I'm wondering why the dealers aren't taking them off at delivery, just like all the other protective items.
For the same reason that they don't lower your tire pressure, install your bright pedals and I bet in many cases, even open the hood. They're just plain lazy and couldn't care less.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had presumed the push pins that held the guards on where disposable. But with all the talk lately about removing the guards I stumbled across this TSB for Hellcat Challengers that says if 2 push pins are used vs 1, they should be replaced with new pins after the guards are removed. I'm presuming the push pins are also used to hold the lower part of the fascia in place.

Does this apply to any of the Chargers, such as the Scat Packs?
Are they needed in order to keep the fascia securely fastened?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had presumed the push pins that held the guards on where disposable. But with all the talk lately about removing the guards I stumbled across this TSB for Hellcat Challengers that says if 2 push pins are used vs 1, they should be replaced with new pins after the guards are removed. I'm presuming the push pins are also used to hold the lower part of the fascia in place.

Does this apply to any of the Chargers, such as the Scat Packs?
Are they needed in order to keep the fascia securely fastened?
I wondered the same thing. I looked underneath and don’t see any benefit of sticking them back in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Maybe dealers leave them on so you can drive off the dealer lot without messing the underside of the bumper. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer had someone accuse the dealership of scrapping the bumper and asking for warranty repair when in fact it was caused by a previous test driver or the purchaser.

I requested mine be tossed in the trunk so I could body match the color and stick them back on. I learn from a body shop that the paint will not stay adhered to the guards so I ended up installing Scrape Armor.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wondered the same thing. I looked underneath and don’t see any benefit of sticking them back in.
I don't see any benefit either because about 2" from the push pin holes there are what looks like threaded fasteners. IOW the push pins wouldn't be doing much fastening. But seeing a TSB made me wonder about their usefulness.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Especially since that's exactly what it says on them lol

There's even a hilarious Facebook group (among many I'm sure): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1095008050672234/
Personally I think the same people who keep these on are the ones who leave the plastic on the furniture at home

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seems like the designers forgot that once the car is sold by the manufacturer their opinion on the matter means nothing.

Personally I don't care what people do with their property but I hope people go as fat as to paint the new purple ones back to yellow and leave them on just to spite the entitlted designer. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer took mine off as well and tossed them in the trunk. Funny the article mentions the market on eBay as that's what I did. I listed mine on eBay...they were gone within about 48 hrs for $80. Apparently there is a market out there and people are buying them or they want extras :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I left mine on for a week or two after buying my 2017 Daytona. When I removed them there were a lot of scratches where dirt and sand had got in there and rubbed against the paint. Had to use some rubbing compound and still didn't get them out completely. I live near the beach and there is a lot of sand in the soil around here and therefore also on the roads. If I had it to do over I would have removed them immediately.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I left mine on for a week or two after buying my 2017 Daytona. When I removed them there were a lot of scratches where dirt and sand had got in there and rubbed against the paint. Had to use some rubbing compound and still didn't get them out completely. I live near the beach and there is a lot of sand in the soil around here and therefore also on the roads. If I had it to do over I would have removed them immediately.
This is exactly why they should be removed. Granted, the designer wants the original body lines and look to be left, uncovered, AS DESIGNED, but if you want that look at the expense of your paint, whatever...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm surprised no one has made yellow vinyl decals to go in place of the guards. People can have the look without damaging their paint.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm surprised no one has made yellow vinyl decals to go in place of the guards. People can have the look without damaging their paint.
They have....still gay
What's worse is that the [email protected] things have migrated to other non Mopar vehicles (I thought the SRT-10 Ram someone put them on was bad...)
Then some ass clown took it a step further and made aftermarket ones that light up....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts