Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is what I found today.

Drivers side. Shock mount not centered.........

and here is the pass. side nice and centered.

My stock exhaust also has alot of movement in the rubber mounts and bangs around , so once I get this fixed I'm dumping the stock catback for a Corsa.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
AND look closer at the first photo of the kw thats not centered-it looks like to me that you have a crack in the weld were the strut leg is welded to the bushing eye!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I noticed that, it's on both shocks. I think just the way it shows up on camera. I'll send these pics to KW and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah I noticed that, it's on both shocks. I think just the way it shows up on camera. I'll send these pics to KW and see what they have to say.
So did you hear anything back from KW? AND, did you solve the clunking noises by centering the shock mount?
Did you just pry the shock sideways? I would think that would tend to move around on its own as the suspension is worked back and forth?

I'M hearing a very slight clunk at low speeds (probably cant hear it over windnoise at hi speeds) I assumed it was just because the rubber mount was replaced with aluminum directly against steel for the rear upper spring mount??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to KW and they are sending me revised bushings for both shocks. They have had this happen on three other LX cars and they all have the problem on the driver's side.

I tried to pry the shock over but there isn't enough room to get any leverage.

I'll post up my results after I swap the bushings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I spoke to KW and they are sending me revised bushings for both shocks. They have had this happen on three other LX cars and they all have the problem on the driver's side.

I tried to pry the shock over but there isn't enough room to get any leverage.

I'll post up my results after I swap the bushings.
My noise seems to be coming more from the passenger side rear. Seems like KW should pay for installation charges too!

Question: does the aluminum adjuster ring sit direclty against the body on the top of the rear spring??? It sounds like that ring is bouncing around to me when i hit a bump...or more so when i hit a hole.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the adjuster ring sits in the upper spring perch without the rubber seat.

I doubt the adjuster ring is moving around, the rear spings rate is 855 lbs that is a stiff spring. Even with the car in the air that spring won't budge.

I would request that KW pay for the labor as well, but I am doing the repair myself, once KW gets their install tool back and shipped out to me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well today is three weeks since I first contacted KW about this issue and I still don't have this resolved. Supposedly their install tool has not been returned yet and every week that goes by the noise and the cars handling gets worse.

I emailed KW on Friday for an update on the install tool and have not received a response.

I know I'm not their only customer but come on, I expect better customer service for a product that lightens my wallet by $1600.00

I would rather they send me two new rear shocks so I can just swap them and send them the defective shocks, but what was I thinking for wanting to do something the right way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well today is three weeks since I first contacted KW about this issue and I still don't have this resolved. Supposedly their install tool has not been returned yet and every week that goes by the noise and the cars handling gets worse.

I emailed KW on Friday for an update on the install tool and have not received a response.

I know I'm not their only customer but come on, I expect better customer service for a product that lightens my wallet by $1600.00

I would rather they send me two new rear shocks so I can just swap them and send them the defective shocks, but what was I thinking for wanting to do something the right way.
You might also want to check your swaybar mounts and bolts. I found one of my swaybar bolts had come loose...I'm having my mechanic who did the install tighten it today! Maybe put some loctite on there too!?
Also...I have the Hotchkiss sways, and i noticed that the front bar is really tight in its mounts, BUT the rear mounts have TONS of play between the bushing and the bar!? Why bother with friggin grease fitting with that kind of play there? Is this normal? I gotta believe that its supposed to be a rather tight fit? I can grab the sway and push it back and forth in the bushings without any force at all...looks like theres a good 1/16" of clearance around the bar! WTF? I'll post this question as a main topic too.
Thanks
and Good Luck
Man go Man

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of the sway bar hardware is tight.

I noticed that the rear sway bar links are not very solid.

Is there an aftermarket version that is alot more solid than stock?

I know that the problems all stem from the KW bushing being defective and everyday that goes by it gets worse and worse not just the noise but the car is very sloppy in the turns due to the rear shock not being secured properly and not being able to do its job and is a very dangerous situation. This is my only car and I need it for work so I can't just park it.

If I don't hear anything from Tom @ KW by the end of business today These shocks and springs will be removed from the car and tossed in the trash.

I e-mailed him on Friday-no response, I e-mailed him yesterday-no response.

How's that for customer service??????

I may also go as far as getting rid of this car as well and get a new ZO6. My old ZO6 never gave me a single problem in the two years and 33K miles that I owned it, and I wasn't easy on that car at all.

I've had this car for ~ a year and a half and it has been to the dealer for almost every recall, TSB and RRT on the list.

Things are not looking up for the SRT8.:dead:

·
Registered
194 Posts
You might want to check your Hotchkis sway bushings...here is what I received back from Hotchkis ...with my question below also.:

From the Hotchkis engineer:
"Hello, if possible, send me a picture, or there is a part number on the bushing itself. You may have the incorrect bushings, they should fit tight."

Original email:

"I just had your Front and rear sways put on my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona. The product looks very well made. However, I noticed that the front mounts are very snug, but the rear bushing has about 1/16 inch of clearance between the bushing and the bar. This seems to add noise over bumps, and does not seem normal to me. Also, The grease fitting and grease seem meaningless with this kind of play in the mounts.
My question is: Is this designed this way, or is it possible that I have received the wrong bar, bushings or mounts?

Thank You"

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have stock swat bars.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I've made up my mind I'm going to remove these and call GSM where I purchased them and see what they will do about a refund. It's been five fu(king weeks and KW can't even get me a pair of bushings so I can replace them. The more I drive it the more I can't stand this car.

The car will be put back to stock and sold. FU(K KW and Dodge...........Chevy here I come.

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK I've made up my mind I'm going to remove these and call GSM where I purchased them and see what they will do about a refund. It's been five fu(king weeks and KW can't even get me a pair of bushings so I can replace them. The more I drive it the more I can't stand this car.

The car will be put back to stock and sold. FU(K KW and Dodge...........Chevy here I come.
I really cant believe that the bushing being a bit too narrow is going to cause that much noise back there???? Mabybe you could have a machine shop make some "rings" that fill the gap?? Good luck
Q

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Damn! My car is being delivered Nov. 15. I almost bought the KW2s yesterday. Glad I waited! May go the Eibach way now.
Hey Wildman,

Wait until after Nov. 1st. Pedders is coming out with a suspension kit. Check out this link below. I was at ET in Westfield when they had an install day for the GTO guys and had the honor to talk Peter from Pedders. All I can say is WOW. Check it out. Email them if you have any questions.

Gary

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56946

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I really cant believe that the bushing being a bit too narrow is going to cause that much noise back there???? Mabybe you could have a machine shop make some "rings" that fill the gap?? Good luck
Q
These shocks and springs cost $1600, I shouldn't have to have a machine shop make anything. What angers me is that five weeks after contacting KW about the problem I still don't have new bushings to install.

I've always had high performance cars and modded them, if there was a defect with an aftermarket product the manufacturer would send a replacement so I wouldn't have any downtime and I would send them the defective part so they can see for themselves what the problem was.

Tom at KW told me he was sending out the repalcement bushings last Friday, even with ground shipping they should have been here by now.

KW has lost all credibility with me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bushings showed up Monday without the install tool so I took the car to a local shop and had them installed this morning, the clunking and banging is gone and the car feels tighter and handles much better. I'm still pissed about the way KW handled this but at least the noise is gone now.

I just have to get rid of that creeking noise in the rear deck area and the car will be noise free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts