Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm getting ready to do my first mod to my Hemi and would like some personal experience input.

I'm looking to add a cat-back exhaust system to my charger and have a hook up at a local muffler place where I can get a good deal on some flowmasters or magnaflows. The guy told me he'd run 2.5 pipe straight from cats back to mufflers and then 3" tips. Getting rid of suitcase muffler and stock resos.

I'm worried about it being "too loud" or getting that drone everyone talks about when MDS kicks in, but I want it to sound like a Hemi and not a Corolla. Has anyone done this and know what it sounds/feels like? And has a preference to either of those two brands?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't know why you would have 2.5" pipe up front and 3" in the rear? Usually you have the same all the way, and there's no point to it getting bigger in back( I suppose no harm either). Some older muscle cars had 2.5" from the manifold to muffler and 2.25" from the muffler back.
I guess "too loud" is a subjective term, though I am pretty sure it would be too loud for me.The muffler selection is important too. The common 40 series Flowmaster is a pretty loud 2 chamber muffler. You might ad a small resonator or glasspack where our stock resonators go, or try a different muffler like the 50 or 80 series. Most Magnaflows are straight through too so they could be loud; again, a resonator would help.
I guess you could try it and add resonators later if it drones (it will) or is too loud.

MIKE

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have flowmaster original 40's on my car with the flowmaster kit reso's. I like the sound while cruising (no drone) but at idle i think its a bit weak. I'm going to go down soon and have the reso's taken off and see how that works. Some ppl say they get drone with out the reso's and some say they don't. I'm just going to try it and see how it works.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same set up, Flowmaster 40's with reso delete. It sounds deep and mean but from 2100 to 2550 RPM there is a drone. I don't mind it at all and people who ride in it like the "Hot Rod" sound. My wife could do without it though.

Also, you can cruz out of the neighborhood without waking up everybody. But....go WOT in 1st and 2nd and you could wake em up for a couple of blocks!!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea thats gunna be a pretty loud set up if u delete the resos. it wouldnt be too loud for me, but i dk what exactly you want. and he is talking about 3 inch tips, not pipes. if ur going to buy new tips, i'd say go with at LEAST 3.5 inch if not 4. dont buy 3 inch it'll look too small

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had the Flowmaster catback kit drop shipped to my local muffler shop from Jeggs. Thier price($522 shipped) was $50 cheaper than what the muffler shop said they could get it from thier source and they are an authorized Flowmaster dealer.
I have already had the Brylcreme mod(suitcase replaced with straight pipes) and was thinking about asking the muffler shop to just install the back resonaters without the 40's up front. I have not found much info about the sound with just resonaters in back without any mufflers up front.
Any thoughts?
Randy

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I have maganflow cat back. Nice growl at WOT and almost no drone with MDS or cruise.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just had the Flowmaster catback kit drop shipped to my local muffler shop from Jeggs. Thier price($522 shipped) was $50 cheaper than what the muffler shop said they could get it from thier source and they are an authorized Flowmaster dealer.
I have already had the Brylcreme mod(suitcase replaced with straight pipes) and was thinking about asking the muffler shop to just install the back resonaters without the 40's up front. I have not found much info about the sound with just resonaters in back without any mufflers up front.
Any thoughts?
Randy
So you would basically be changing out the stock resonators for Flowmaster resonators? Interesting, but I would like to hear the Flowmaster system installed complete first, you may like it fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So you would basically be changing out the stock resonators for Flowmaster resonators? Interesting, but I would like to hear the Flowmaster system installed complete first, you may like it fine.
Yes I wonder how that would sound as I have not really heard of anybody running resonaters at the back without any other mufflers.
Any other thoughts?
Randy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have maganflow cat back. Nice growl at WOT and almost no drone with MDS or cruise.
Yeah I'm in a toss up right now. I've heard the magnaflows and they seem too quiet, and the flowmasters seem to be too loud from what I'm hearing from people. I really liked the way JBA's system sounded, but I can't really get as good a price going for that one as this place has the mags and flows in stock. And for the amount I'm spending on it, I want to make sure I'm totally happy with what I'm getting the first time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes I wonder how that would sound as I have not really heard of anybody running resonaters at the back without any other mufflers.
Any other thoughts?
Randy
I think A LOT of people are doing this, they call it the "Brylcreme" exhaust because it is so simple. I haven;t heard of anybody doing the Flowmaster resonators, but stock resonators and no muffs is real common.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah I'm in a toss up right now. I've heard the magnaflows and they seem too quiet, and the flowmasters seem to be too loud from what I'm hearing from people. I really liked the way JBA's system sounded, but I can't really get as good a price going for that one as this place has the mags and flows in stock. And for the amount I'm spending on it, I want to make sure I'm totally happy with what I'm getting the first time.
If you install the flowmaster complete kit it won't be to loud. Only at WOT does it get a little loud with the reso's on. Just cruising around town its like a mean kitten getting ready to pouce.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts