Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there are TONS of threads on exhaust but I am a first time poster and after scouring these forums (for days) I have not found anything that could help me out w/my question.

Here goes. I have an '06 R/T (completely stock) and I am contemplating my first MOD. From what I hear, exhaust is the way to go. Money is a bit tight so a full catback system is not in the cards right now. I am looking for a very DEEP, THROATY sound for my car (think Mustang GT). I obviously would like it louder than stock but not obnoxious (no straight pipes). Again... DEEP SOUND is more important than pure loudness. I have listened to a LOT of sound clips and from what I've gathered, Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers with stock resos (no drone), and some nice looking 3.5-4" tips seems like a good, inexpensive first MOD for me.

I'd like to know if anyone else out there has stock resos w/the suitcases swapped out for Super 44s. If so, please post your experience (or even a sound clip). Also, I understand that a full cat-back system increases HP a little bit. What effect would a simple muffler swap have, if any? What do you guys think about also swapping stock resos for Flowmaster brand resos? Would drone be an issue with flowmaster resos over stock resos? Which is better? Potential HP gains?

Sorry if I asked too many questions, but like i said... I'm new to modding :)

Thanks in advance for the input guys.

'06 R/T w Nav/Satillite Radio/6-Disc Changer/DVD Player, 15% Tints

·
Registered
125 Posts
HERES A CLIP OF MY 07 R/T WITH R/T PACKAGE. SUPER 44's, NO RESONATORS, DRONE IS NOT BAD AFTER AWHILE, NOT THE LOUDEST EXHAUST BUT ALOT BETTER THAN STOCK. NOT AS PRICEY AS THE OTHER EXHAUST SYSTEMS TALKED ABOUT ON THE FORUMS EITHER. ( I STILL WOULD LIKE A SET OF SLP's THOUGH!)

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/96792REDRAM/?action=view&current=85e8f1f1.flv

MAYBE AFTER A SET OF HEADERS. HI-FLOW CATS AND E-CUT OUTS, I'LL BE HAPPIER!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Rumpkin, is that video on a cold start or does it always have that nice idle sound?

Ive currently got the Resos removed with the factory suitcase in place and plan on doing the super 44s instead of the suitcase next wknd

and to the original poster, leaving your resos ON with super 44s will not be what your looking for

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st off, thanks to u guys for a speedy response.

and to the original poster, leaving your resos ON with super 44s will not be what your looking for
Chargeron24s, you don't think so? Remember that I'm looking for that deep, throaty growl, not 'Tuna Boat' sound. Again, this deep sound is more important to me than sheer volume. From what I've read from other ppl, removing resos creates a loud, more raspy sound (not to mention drone). You think I should still remove resos with Super 44 muffs? Also, any performance increase from just a muffler change?

Again, would love to hear from anyone with clips with this setup (5.7, no r/t pkg, super 44 muffs & resos).

Thanks again guyz for the speedy response.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The info Ive gathered from my research before I made my decision was leavin the resos on with the super 44s was slightly louder then factory, which for me would have been a waste of $$. I mean, you hear it at WOT, but im not to sure it will be noticeable at all speeds and idle. Hopefully someone else chimes in that has actually had super 44s with their resos still on

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is mine with the Resnos.....still on the fence if i'll get them taken off...the resnos that is
Sounds nice. Is your idle really that much deeper/louder than stock or is it just the acoustics and the mic of the camera? I really like that deep idle tone it appears to have. (give those 'stangs something to hear at the redlight :grin:) I'm not concerned about WOT since pretty much all muffs & cat-backs will improve WOT.

What do ya think about super 44s paired with some BlastinBob's resonated kits? Might raise the volume a bit while still keeping that nice Sup44 'throaty growl'

·
Registered
125 Posts
thats right after my wife got home from work. on a cold start its a little bit more raunchy sounding. sounds way better without the reso's in my opinion. i shoulda got the 4' tips though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree that it sounds better w/o resos. Unfortunately this is also my driving car and I have about a 40 mile commute to work every day so I think that the drone caused by removing resos would probably drive me nuts after a while.

Thats why I'm considering pairing the Sup44s with BB resonated kit. It seems that Blastin Bob's reso/tip kits are designed to let a bit more sound through (as opposed to eliminating as much sound as possible like stock). I love that deep idle sound you have though...

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I did Flow Super 40's with no reso's and she's good for me :)

Way loud if you open her up too!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did Flow Super 40's with no reso's and she's good for me :)

Way loud if you open her up too!
It doesn't drone you out of the car? Also, anyone have info on HP increase (if any) with a simple muffler swap? (no R&T pkg)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
It doesn't drone you out of the car? Also, anyone have info on HP increase (if any) with a simple muffler swap? (no R&T pkg)
At first the drone is enough to drive the squeemish nuts, but after being on there for awhile they're really starting to quiet down and drone is pretty much non-existent (to me anyways)...the Super 40's I got are also the Delta Flow technology ones that are designed to reduce drone...so that probably helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Oljustice - I'd like to give you a little history first. I went with the brylcreem first (no suitcase with resos in place) and I liked the sound. But after awhile, I felt it sounded like a car without a muffler lol. The drone wasn't too bad but it sounded raspy and not deep enough. I put on the flowmaster 44s two months ago and have been satisfied. It's my daily driver and the wife likes it as well (she didn't mind the brylcreem either). It will take a month for the 44s to break in...and will get deeper in sound. The raspiness is gone and it sounds a lot better now especially when I "mash" it. It will never have that nice sound of catbacks, like mustangs have (I really like the throaty sound of the mustang). Eventually, I plan on removing the resos but will hold onto them in case the sound is too loud. My suggestion is to try the 44s and hold onto your "suitcase" if you don't like it. Cutting and welding is the cheaper process so whatever you do, hold onto your parts!! I plan on removing the resos to see if it will improve on the sound...not the volume. The previous sound clip is accurate. BTW, I can already see that this is a "money pit" when it comes to sound as other posters have noted. I paid $320 for the 44s with installation included. I also live in the Bay Area which is why I paid that much. Good luck with your quest of the "perfect" sound...I'm still working on mine. -Bill

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yesterday I had the Flowmaster catback system(super 40's,reonaters with nice 4" tips)installed. I am very happy with deep sound, but was expecting a little more volume at idle and modest throttle. Under heavy throttle I love the sound. Even with widows up,no radio, and quiet rode I do not here any drone at crusing speeds. You can just hear a slight tone change when the mds kicks in. Before this I had the suitcase replaced with straight pipes and it did make the sound louder but I was looking more of the deep growling sound I like to hear from a v-8 and the sound it made(although very slight) when the mds kicked in was just plain horrible sounding.
I think you will be happy with the tone of the flowmasters and I think that the reonaters will determine the overall loudness and how much drone you will have. The sound of exhausts is very much different to everyone.
Randy

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for so much helpful info. From what I've heard on here, I've decided to go ahead with the Super 44s and BB resonated kit (haven't decided which one yet).

Any info out there on performance increases with a setup like this? I'm assuming its not going to be as much HP gains as a full cat-back since I'll still be using stock pipes w/the 2.25" diameter (Most catbacks use 2.5" for the RT).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep us posted with your 44s and BB setup. I want to know if you like it or not. -Bill

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep us posted with your 44s and BB setup. I want to know if you like it or not. -Bill
Will do. Just trying to figure out which BB resonated kit would be best fitted with the Sup44s right now

·
Registered
219 Posts
you should see the post about the cutouts instaled in any sistem, even the stock sistem
is amazing, you keeep a low profile in the streets just until some ******* is next to you on red light and start pressing gas inviting you to race,
that's the right moment to open your cutouts (it sound like a friking nascar car) and see the face of the guy really worry about watta hell you may have under that hood
other than that you can keep unseen your self on the streets. remember cops are like wolfs, they use their ears to find speeders. and those flowmasters are like fresh six moths lambs for the wolfs

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you should see the post about the cutouts instaled in any sistem, even the stock sistem
is amazing, you keeep a low profile in the streets just until some ******* is next to you on red light and start pressing gas inviting you to race,
that's the right moment to open your cutouts (it sound like a friking nascar car) and see the face of the guy really worry about watta hell you may have under that hood
other than that you can keep unseen your self on the streets. remember cops are like wolfs, they use their ears to find speeders. and those flowmasters are like fresh six moths lambs for the wolfs
From what I've heard, cutouts are like outrageously loud.. and its like motorboat loud.. not throwty growl loud. Do you really think the flows will be cop attractors? Remember im only doing a muffler swap, not the whole cat-back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts