Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just purchased my 2013 Charger RT. Also purchased the American Thunder cat back system which I am in love with so far. Wondering if I should keep the OEM pipes or get rid of them , I don't ever plan on putting them back on , but they are taking up a bunch of space , not quite sure what to do with them . HELP.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought my car with the flowmasters already on them from the previous owner. They had the old exhaust and I kept it as well. Its just sitting in the basement and not bothering anyone. Maybe I'll sell it one day. Mine has the stock resonators removed and straight pipes welded on too. I think its could be useful for V6 guys not sure. I'd say keep them if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I just purchased my 2013 Charger RT. Also purchased the American Thunder cat back system which I am in love with so far. Wondering if I should keep the OEM pipes or get rid of them , I don't ever plan on putting them back on , but they are taking up a bunch of space , not quite sure what to do with them . HELP.
Did you have a shit ton of drone with your american thunder exhaust? Because I just put that on my 13 charger rt and the drone is horrible. Any help I can get to get rid of the drone ill take it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I just put that on my 13 charger rt and the drone is horrible
Have the resonators been removed? Deleting the rear resonators will cause drone in the passenger compartment. You can replace the stock resonators with aftermarket resonators/mufflers but having no resonators will cause drone.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If your system is an American Thunder #817508, there's not much to work with.

About the only thing I can think of is to have an exhaust shop cut your tailpipes and pop in a couple of short bottle resonators.

The Vibrant Ultra Quiet is pretty much the gold standard, and priced accordingly (about $100 each), but they're stainless, tiny, and effective.

In the meantime, you can pick up some carpet underpadding...I like rubber-backed jute felt, not poly or foam...and, using your trunk mat as a pattern, cut it to fit under the liner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have the resonators been removed? Deleting the rear resonators will cause drone in the passenger compartment. You can replace the stock resonators with aftermarket resonators/mufflers but having no resonators will cause drone.
The system doesnt come with resonators just a set of mufflers

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The system doesn't come with resonators just a set of mufflers
Not having resonators is the source of the drone. Do like CtCarl suggested and have an exhaust shop cut your tailpipes and install short bottle resonators. The short bottle resonators are also referred to as perforated-core glasspacks. I had 12" Magnaflow glasspacks installed on my car. They need to be welded-on to the exhaust pipe so you need a exhaust shop to perform the install.

Here's an example of the short bottle resonators (12" glasspacks) at Blastin' Bob's

https://www.blastinbob.com/category_s/7.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not having resonators is the source of the drone. Do like CtCarl suggested and have an exhaust shop cut your tailpipes and install short bottle resonators. The short bottle resonators are also referred to as perforated-core glasspacks. I had 12" Magnaflow glasspacks installed on my car. They need to be welded-on to the exhaust pipe so you need a exhaust shop to perform the install.

Here's an example of the short bottle resonators (12" glasspacks) at Blastin' Bob's

https://www.blastinbob.com/category_s/7.htm
Alright so if I put in resonators where should I put them? Because my factory resonators were at the very end of the exhaust but other places online tell me to put them in as far up stream as possible to remove the resonance from as much of the exhaust system as possible.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Alright so if I put in resonators where should I put them? Because my factory resonators were at the very end of the exhaust but other places online tell me to put them in as far up stream as possible to remove the resonance from as much of the exhaust system as possible.
First, find another exhaust shop. That place is just wrong.

Then, have them cut the tailpipes...there's only one place where they'll fit...and weld or clamp in two stainless steel short bottle resonators. Don't let them put in whatever crap they have on hand unless they're stainless, or if you live somewhere where nothing rusts.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
there's only one place where they'll fit.
The rear exhaust hangers dictate where the resonators need to be mounted. It's alongside the fuel tank, on either side, and the short bottle resonators fit up into this space quite well. It's snug, but they fit without touching anything. There will be a short tailpipe section that needs to be fitted from the short bottle resonators to the rear valance; where the exhaust trim (tailpipe extensions) are located.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts